Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Shifting late? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/shifting-late-5436/)

hybridhigh 01-12-2006 03:14 PM

Shifting late?

I recently purchased a new '06 FEH, and I love it. One thing: it seems to be shifting really late (greater than 4000 RPMs). Is this normal? If not, I'm killing my numbers on the MPG. Any thoughts?

(just finished my second tank -- 31.0 MPG straight up -- sans the FSS, Low Gear Advantage and whatnot...)

randykato 01-12-2006 04:26 PM

Re: Shifting late?

If yours is "shifting" at all, you don't have the hybrid. There are no gears in this transmission. What exactly is happening at 4000rpm?

BTW, if you're revving it up to 4000rpm, you are killing your MPG.

Wbruff 01-12-2006 06:55 PM

Search the forum for "Fake Shift or Shifting". Since this ECVT is an on demand transmission and has no real shifting it will deliver the requested torque you ask for at the time you asked for it. When it gets above 2000 rpm let off the gas for a brief moment then slowly re apply and you'll be back in the lower rpm's and continue to do that until you are at the desired speed. Again do a search for more details. Or click here

zadscmc 01-13-2006 05:28 AM

The only time my FEH is at 4krpm is when it is burning off excess battery charge or I am going up a *very* steep hill.

nitramjr 01-13-2006 06:17 AM

You should be able to live very nicely well under 4000 RPM except for the extreme cases like big, long hills on the highway and in those cases where max acceleration is needed. Even if you floor it to get onto the highway, 3500 does pretty good in most cases.

You will learn how it behaves as you drive it more. Use only as much gas pedal as is needed for safety or preference, then start easing off. The revs will drop back into the 2000-2500 range quickly.....

Then the numbers will really start increasing.

BTW, congrats and welcome. We are here to help. Lot's of great info and people here.....

Ray

hybridhigh 01-13-2006 04:36 PM

Thanks, all, for the responses. I am learning a lot, things that will help the mpgs. I am becoming a gauge-gazing addict. :) Any other things I should know that my dealer didn't tell me (and probably didn't know)?

nitramjr 01-13-2006 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by hybridhigh
I am becoming a gauge-gazing addict. :) Any other things I should know that my dealer didn't tell me (and probably didn't know)?

Yeah, rule number one - look up from the gauges now and then. They can be mesmerizing.

Rule number two - your salesman knew less about Hybrids than you in all likelihood.

Rule three - Become active in this site. Learn, compare, share.

Have fun....