Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Steering Wheel Buttons (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/steering-wheel-buttons-14229/)

TeeSter 07-06-2007 04:40 AM

Re: Steering Wheel Buttons

Originally Posted by icebluemariner (Post 132824)
I purchased an 08 Mariner Hybrid for my wife last month. The big thing missing was the redundant audio controls on the steering wheel. It's really a big safety item--helps keep focused on the road--and Ford just doesn't get it. I have gone so far as to think of getting the replacement wheel from the gas version (very expensive, I imagine), because I don't see where you could modify the molded wheel. Then I would think its a matter of running the wiring connector through the steering column to the back of the NAV, if it has the capability.

Plan on having a professional do that if you mange to get one..... you do NOT want to be messing around with that wheel with the airbag in there.

icebluemariner 07-06-2007 07:22 AM

Definitely will have someone who knows what they're doing with the airbag and all ;) . The bigger challenge may be finding someone who can tell me if it can be done.

WaltPA 07-06-2007 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by KyGreen (Post 132504)
... but here's one problem - the steeing wheel is molded and solid where the buttons go on the right side for the volume controls.

That is a surprise, I was not expecting. I thought that there was just a "blank" on the right side of the wheel, and that blank panel could easily be replaced with a radio button panel. I guess not.

Does anyone know yet if the air bag remains the same? Steering wheels are relatively cheap. Air bags are not. So, if it is simply a matter of buying a whole new steering wheel, one with the radio buttons, and reusing the old air bag, then that is at least "do-able" (cost wise).

DavidH 07-06-2007 08:48 AM

You may want to make a test before you invest in the actual controls. You should be able to connect a few resistors to the radio to see if it responds.

icebluemariner 07-06-2007 09:58 AM

I have a couple of pages from the 08 workshop manual (in .pdf, but I don't know how to post them here). You definitely need to replace the steering wheel base. It appears the existing air bag module and cover will work fine, so the expense would be the wheel itself. The controls pull out of the side housing, where there is the electrical connector. The workshop manual does not tell you if the NAV system from gas to hybrid version is the same, so the research continues....

queenfan 07-06-2007 07:39 PM

Not to rain on anybody's parade or anything, but several states actually have laws against reusing air bags, even if they've never been deployed. I know Minnesota is one, but when the legislation was moving through the Legislature several other states were mentioned. I suppose this is a case of if no one knows, who's it hurting?, but I think that getting yourself killed in an accident because your airbag didn't go off just because you wanted steering wheel mounted audio controls is pretty darn stupid. Sorry, but that's how I feel and I used to have steering wheel mounted controls and I really miss them. If you were to go to a mechanic to do this, they might refuse.

gpsman1 07-06-2007 11:54 PM

Just go the easy way and install a "Clapper" to the radio.
"Clap-On. Clap-Off. The Clapper."

( Oh, that would require both hands off the wheel at the same time... nevermind... )

:angel:-John

jmorton10 07-07-2007 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by queenfan (Post 132985)
but I think that getting yourself killed in an accident because your airbag didn't go off just because you wanted steering wheel mounted audio controls is pretty darn stupid. .

I would have to agree & I miss the steering controls also (it irritates me to no end that my sons 03 Acura 3.2 TL & my wifes 04 X-Type Jag both have the controls & I don't) :confused:

~John

WaltPA 07-07-2007 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by queenfan (Post 132985)
Not to rain on anybody's parade or anything, but several states actually have laws against reusing air bags, even if they've never been deployed.

I think those laws are intended to stop the re-sale of used airbags by junk yards, not the continuing use of the same airbags in the same vehicles.

queenfan 07-07-2007 06:25 PM

Walt-
it depends on the language. The law here is interpreted to say no reusing period.