Steering Wheel Buttons

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Steering Wheel Buttons

I have a little more info: for those with a 2008:
1) The NAV systems from gas to hybrid are the same hardware, slightly different software.
2) You'll need to replace the wheel with one from the gas version and get the wiring connector
3) Unless your experienced with airbags, you'll need to take it to someone who is to power down, and up, the airbag.
4) Reusing the same airbag module should not be an issue for most, provided the unit tests ok when re-installed. Again, probably not a 'do-it-yourself' unless you are a 'mechanic-yourself'.

Don't be surprised for this little feature to find its way to steering wheel of the new hybrids built sometime next year...

Old 07-09-2007, 03:55 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

You can make a test to see if the audio controls steering wheel will work before investing in a new wheel.

The switch array connects to pins 18 & 19 of C240a.

Switch Resistance (Ohms)

Vol- 50.6 to 52.6
Vol+ 118.0 to 121.4
Seek+ 208.0 to 213.1
Seek- 330.8 to 338.4
Media 503.0 to 514.1
no switches pressed 1K107 to 1K118

Old 07-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Enthusiast

Where is C240A? I can test this. I'm assuming this is at 12v. Also, wouldn't there have to be a 'dummy plug' resistor in order to get the "no buttons pressed" state when the controls didn't exist? Otherwise the "no buttons pressed" shouldn't have an upper limit for resistance.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by icebluemariner
I have a little more info: for those with a 2008:
1) The NAV systems from gas to hybrid are the same hardware, slightly different software.
Has anyone confirmed this yet?

I know that the back of the '07 and earlier NAV system is completely different from the units used in other (non-hybrid) Ford models, even though the front panels are the same.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Enthusiast

Well, discovered a completely different obstacle I did not expect: seems the circuitry for the hybrid SPEED CONTROL on the left side of the wheel is not compatible with the circuitry in the wheel on the gas version... So....

we wait...when Ford adds audio controls to the hybrid wheel, let's hope they don't jack with the speed control circuitry-again.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast

Well, discovered a completely different obstacle I did not expect: seems the circuitry for the hybrid SPEED CONTROL on the left side of the wheel is not compatible with the circuitry in the wheel on the gas version... So....

we wait...when Ford adds audio controls to the hybrid wheel, let's hope they don't jack with the speed control circuitry-again.
The cruise control brains are in the wheel?? That doesn't make any sense.
Do you know the values of the cruise control resistor net? If they're the same as the audio net, I could just swap the plugs today and see if i'm able to control the volume.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast

I try not to make since of what Ford engineers do .

The information I got was that there was a difference in the cruise control between the gas and hybrid versions, and that because of that, you couldn't take the wheel from a gas and install in a hybrid.....

Old 07-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Enthusiast

I try not to make "sense" either....

Old 07-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

While the cruise control software might be different with the hybrids, I would find it rather "odd" for Ford to go thru the expense of making the cc buttons work/operate differently.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:36 PM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

I expect the whole cruise control design is different on the hybrid. Hybrid cruise must develop a call for torque signal, while the non-hybrid uses an cruise control actuator to position the throttle.

The switches could be a different configuration. But, the steering wheel may accept the hybrid or non-hybrid switch. Has anyone checked this out?

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Buttons

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands