"Stop Safely Now"

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:56 PM
OT7
Enthusiast
Default Re: "Stop Safely Now"

I had 1/8" uneven brush wear on Bosch MECS pump.
New MECS pump motor is brushless.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:05 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by travelover
Good report. What part number did you order?
Funny that you asked. I could not find the part number listed.
You have to put in your year and feh then drill down to
HYBRID COMPONENTS / HYBRID COMPONENTS / COOLING SYSTEM / WATER PUMP.

I saw the list price as the correct one then emailed them to verify that 5M6z-8C419-A is what they were going to sell me. They answered in a day and I ordered it and received the right stuff.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OT7
I had 1/8" uneven brush wear on Bosch MECS pump.
New MECS pump motor is brushless.
Thanks for the info, I feel better now but I think I will still replace the brushes and keep the old one as a spare. Brushless should last forever

Old 05-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I had my first (and hopefully last) of these events Saturday. Remarkably similar to the OP's circumstances, I backed a cold vehicle out of the garage and shut it off to load something. Started it back up within a minute and drove about 3/4 mile when IT happened. Thankfully, I was in a residential area and only traveling 25MPH, so pulling over safely was no concern. My ScanGauge 2 showed no stored codes. I waited approximately one minute and the vehicle started normally. I drove it the rest of the weekend without incident. After reading every post in this thread, I was hoping it was just a random incident.

On Monday I took the vehicle (2006 FEH, AWD/4WD, new MECS pump previously installed as a precaution.) to a friend who owns an automotive repair shop. He has very sophisticated scanning equipment and he pulled a P1AOC trouble code....Hybrid Powertrain Control Module....Engine Disabled.

Ford has issued a TSB for this issue, TSB 09-19-12.

10/05/09

RED TRIANGLE ON AND STOP SAFELY NOW
MESSAGE - DTC P1AOC

FORD:
2005-2008 Escape Hybrid

MERCURY:
2006-2008 Mariner Hybrid

This article supersedes TSB 9-17-9 to update the IDS version.

ISSUE
Some 2005-2008 Escape Hybrid and 2006-2008 Mariner Hybrid vehicles may exhibit an intermittent Red Triangle on and Stop Safely Now message displayed on the message center, accompanied by a sudden RPM loss/no start with a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P1A0C. Vehicles may exhibit this symptom on the first start of the morning or after an extended idle. The symptom will clear on the next key cycle.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Using the Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) scan tool:
1. Access and monitor the LOS_STRT parameter identification (PID) in the powertrain control module (PCM).

a. If the LOS_STRT PID indicates YES, perform Step 2.

b. If the LOS_STRT PID indicates NO, the DTC P1A0C may be the result of a 12 volt system fault. Performing the calibration update in Step 2 will not correct a 12 volt system fault. Follow Powertrain Control Emission Diagnostics (PC/ED) for DTC P1A0C.

2. Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 62.14 or higher and 63.02 or higher. Calibration files are not included on DVD 2009.9. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website. The calibration contains a sludge compensation strategy for the throttle body.

3. Turn the key off to re-initialize the PCM. This will allow the sludge compensation strategy to learn.

4. With the vehicle in park or neutral and the climate control system set to DEFROST, start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature (greater than 170 °F (77 °C) coolant temperature). Run it an additional 5 minutes to allow sufficient learning time.

5. While the engine is running, using IDS datalogger or equivalent, check the PID value of ETC_TRIM.

a. If ETC_TRIM value is 3.5 degrees and/or DTC P115SE is present, then replace the electronic throttle body (ETB), following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-04C.

b. If ETC_TRIM value is less than 3.5 degrees and DTC P115SE is not present, but driveability concerns persist, the ETB is not the likely cause of the concern and replacement is not necessary. Continue with normal PC/ED diagnostics.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: 09-08-09
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

Sifting through everything, my mechanic friend and I decided to thoroughly clean the throttle body and then take the FEH to the dealer to have the PCM flashed with the most current software. The Mass Airflow Sensor was virtually spotless. (I've used a K&N air filter for over 60K miles...no fouling). The dirt in the throttle body was consistent with age and mileage. (Note: CRC makes special cleaners (two products) for the MAF sensor and throttle body, do NOT use carb or brake cleaner.)

From my friends shop to the dealer. My service adviser actually felt bad for the runaround I got with HVTB cooling fans and did the updates for $80 (normally $117) out the door.

The truck runs slightly, but noticeably, smoother. I'll drive it for a week and then have my friend scan it again.

Hope this is useful to someone down the road.

Last edited by GatorJ; 05-17-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:06 PM

Gator,

Do you think it's advisable to reflash the PCM just as a precaution?

If the problem does occur, it sounds like it could be covered by the emissions warranty (7yr/70k miles in Calif?).

Old 05-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

"very sophisticated scanning equipment"--

is it possible to provide more details on what this is?

Old 05-17-2013, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by econoline
Gator,

Do you think it's advisable to reflash the PCM just as a precaution?

If the problem does occur, it sounds like it could be covered by the emissions warranty (7yr/70k miles in Calif?).

Yes, note this language from the TSB:

"The calibration contains a sludge compensation strategy for the throttle body."

According to the TSB it should be covered by the emissions warranty.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Billyk24

I'll find out the brand/model.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:16 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Billyk24

In 2006, Ford replaced the Rotunda tool with the IDS system. A few years ago I looked into the system which was a Dell laptop, software, modules, etc. which was about 10K at that time. A license subscription is also required. Not sure if any third party tools that'll do the same things are out there. This was the same year(2006) after which Ford stopped putting PID memory locations in the manuals.

Transaxle valve bodies used in the FE since 2009 are coded with a number which can be different in every vehicle. This code number is in the PCM accessed with the IDS. If replaced the number must be changed in the PCM.

The Dell laptop used at that time has been obsolete for a few years as well. I have no idea what's available at this time but Ford doesn't give away any info for free that's why older scan tools don't work well if at all. They must be able to use the newer CAN protocol.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Cheapskate

A PDF of this TSB is available here.

Quick Reply: "Stop Safely Now"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands