"Stop Safely Now"

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "Stop Safely Now"

I would contact Ford Customer Relationship Center and see what they have to say about how to best handle the recall.

http://www.ford.com/footer/contact-ford

Old 12-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Enthusiast

Does anyone know if the cables on my hybrid battery could have corrosion from the in-take out-take of the hybrid battery not being sealed well?

JILL

Old 12-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jillybean77
Does anyone know if the cables on my hybrid battery could have corrosion from the in-take out-take of the hybrid battery not being sealed well?

JILL
Its not sealed, air is allowed to pass and the inlet is designed to take powerwashing. Unless you've been putting the powerwash nozzle directly into the intake... it would seem that a water leak was unlikely.

However... since air comes in from the outside to cool the battery I suppose there could be condensation, but you'd think the A/C took care of that.

Where to they say the corrosion is? The leads to/from the battery or inside the battery case itself?

Old 12-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

On my way to work this morning, my wife called to tell me that she went to head back home from dropping my daughter off at the bus stop, and the triangle with the exclamation point inside came on. She turned off the engine, reviewed the owner's manual, restarted the engine and no problem, drove it back home and parked it back in the garage. This is the first time this has happened, and I hope it is the last -- after having to have the door motor to the battery replaced several weeks ago. My wife said, according to the owner's manual, the problem is with a hybrid component, so I would hope any required repair would be covered under the hybrid warranty, but I am not counting on it after the door motor not being covered.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
The problem is the PCM will set about 9 "trouble codes" when one of the processors goes down. The MECS pump is a false code. You have to VERY carefully read all the flow charts for ALL of the codes to distill it down to the real failure. Hope this helps

I too experienced the "Stop Safely Now" message and the red triangle of death last night on the way home from work. The ICE died at 40MPH on the freeway (this is LA after all) and after safely getting to the breakdown lane, the ICE stared after 10 minutes or so. The same thing happened again 15 miles up the road, so I called AAA and towed the thing to my house, figuring I would nurse it to the dealer in the morning. This morning the car wouldn't run for 30 seconds before shutting off. So I towed it to the dealer. We have owned several Fords and these guys have always been great.

Just got off the phone with the service adviser and he says it the MECS fan which cools the transaxle, or something in it. He said the tech tested the voltage at the fan and it was not turning on like it's supposed to. It's a $750 fix and I hope it does correct the problem. After reading this I am a little concerned it may be something else.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the information, SoCalRep. I hope that is not what my problem is, and it costs a lot less than $750.

I dropped my FEH off at the dealer on Thursday evening, and they called on Friday saying they could not duplicate the problem, but there was a "vague" code. The technician spoke with me, and I gave him details. He asked to keep it in order to try to duplicate the problem based on the information that I provided. On Monday, they called to say they were able to duplicate the problem, and they had to send the data to Ford, and Ford would send it to someone else. I was told it would take a few days to get back to me, and Ford told them it was okay to release the vehicle back to us. I drove it 125-miles roundtrip to work today without a problem, getting my usual 32.5-MPG. I hope it is something that won't cost too much to repair.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

In the future please try to get the actual codes, all of them from the service shop. these will include Uxxxx codes, Pxxxx codes, Bxxxx and Cxxxx plus any others. Most of these are NOT available on the scan gauge II as the pertain to other than OBDII. I can try to help only if I have ALL of the codes.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast

I appreciate you trying to help. I talked to the dealer. They replaced the MECS pump, they test drive the car and the problem is still happening.

The codes are P1A10, P2521, P2524 and P0562.

Thanks.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Ok, the codes P2524 and P2521 are usually sewt if the A/C was on when the self test was started, most likely this is the case for those 2 codes. the other codes, P1A10 and P0562 relate to low voltage.

P0562: This DTC is set when the powertrain control module detects low system voltage or when the key is turned off and the vehicle travels for an additional 10 seconds.

Possible causes: Power to the PCM concern, Battery or charging system concern

Tips: diagnose other TCM and PCM dTC's first.

P1A10: This is an informational DTC and it can be set as a result of the vehicle operating with the engine disabled, the vehicle operating in the neutral for an extended period of time, or the vehicle operating with a traction battery concern. ( not bloody likely)

Basically this is a non code code. It basically says the computer was forced to shut down the HV battery

So back to the P0562. I would pursue the relays that power up the PCM they can get corroded and become intermittent. This is what I would pursue. I think Someone had a problem with the relays last year on a 2006 FEH (GaryG maybe)

Old 12-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Here's a link to GaryG's post about the problem on the cleanmpg site
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/ford/...tart-6882.html

Quick Reply: "Stop Safely Now"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands