Stop safely now at higher RPM only

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default Stop safely now at higher RPM only

Hi All,
My 2006 MMH with 80K miles got the stop safely now. We were going 70 MPH on I-80. Filled up at Shell 20 minutes prior as the 50 miles to empty light had come on (Sacramento, CA). Exited at UC Davis. Turned off car and restarted. Shut off again at 3500 RPM. Happened twice more. Last time was in Dixon. Then I just kept it below 2000 RPM for 70 miles to get home. Nothing I have read in the 24 pages of the Stop Safely Now thread say anything about high speed/ high RPM shut downs. I will check for flow on the MECS tomorrow. When I tried to accelerate hard, it shut down immediately. Slow and steady got us home. My apologies to anyone stuck behind me at 45 MPH uphill on the Interstate!

Old 08-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Feral Engineer
Default Re: Stop safely now at higher RPM only

Did you try tapping on the MECS pump? That seems to bring them back to life temporarily.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast

Until last night (after I got home, and on to this Forum), I had not heard of an MECS. I now know what and where it is. Today it is actively humming; I did not see flow in either fluent reservoir.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by drstandish
Until last night (after I got home, and on to this Forum), I had not heard of an MECS. I now know what and where it is. Today it is actively humming; I did not see flow in either fluent reservoir.
FYI, I had high RPM all the time issues and thought it was because of E10. Never had the Stop Safely light come On but I had halve the torque as it had when new on regular gas. I had my '05 FEH sold pending a vehicle inspection and the inspector thought the transmission was slipping. My '05 had 79,970 miles when I took it to the dealer to check out the transmission (under the hybrid warranty). The transmission was okay, but they said the cat converter was clogged and needed replacement. The emission system is covered by law up to 80,000 miles, so they replaced everything from the head manifold to the tailpipe and didn't charge me a dime.

Up until this time, I would not let the RPM run away by backing off the accelerator and reapplying slowly again.

GaryG

Old 08-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

"but I had halve the torque as it had when new on regular gas"

can Gary provide documentation -photos?- on this statement that "appears" to be subjective.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Billyk
"but I had halve the torque as it had when new on regular gas"

can Gary provide documentation -photos?- on this statement that "appears" to be subjective.
Grow-up Billy!

Old 08-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drstandish
Hi All,
My 2006 MMH with 80K miles got the stop safely now. We were going 70 MPH on I-80. Filled up at Shell 20 minutes prior as the 50 miles to empty light had come on (Sacramento, CA). Exited at UC Davis. Turned off car and restarted. Shut off again at 3500 RPM. Happened twice more. Last time was in Dixon. Then I just kept it below 2000 RPM for 70 miles to get home. Nothing I have read in the 24 pages of the Stop Safely Now thread say anything about high speed/ high RPM shut downs. I will check for flow on the MECS tomorrow. When I tried to accelerate hard, it shut down immediately. Slow and steady got us home. My apologies to anyone stuck behind me at 45 MPH uphill on the Interstate!
I'll qualify by saying I'm no expert, but this doesn't sound like the usual hybrid problems, as I can't see how higher rpm driving would cause it. The MECS pump is a simple electric device not dependent on engine rpm. The battery cooling fans, and blend door actuator also aren't something I'd think would be rpm-dependent.

To me it sounds like an internal combustion engine (ICE) related problem that's tripping your SSN warning. Obviously the first thing you should do is have the codes pulled, then go from there. I'm thinking you likely don't have a mechanical issue, but possibly a sensor, or other monitoring device coding by mistake, which might then be triggering the SSN. I'm very curious which codes you're getting since I've read a lot of threads and never heard of a high rpm issue like this.

Rob

Old 08-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Grow-up Billy!

Gary reply: "blame the usual scapegoat" regardless of evidence or lack of such.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:19 AM
Enthusiast

i am currently having the same problems. at high rpms specially after 4500 rpm the stop safely comes on. initially I noticed that it started doing it because I was a touch over on the oil but i drained the excess oil and it went away for about 10 days, now its come back and still cant figure what's causing the stop safely now. I have scanned the vehicle and no codes come up.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:39 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by john8919
i am currently having the same problems. at high rpms specially after 4500 rpm the stop safely comes on. initially I noticed that it started doing it because I was a touch over on the oil but i drained the excess oil and it went away for about 10 days, now its come back and still cant figure what's causing the stop safely now. I have scanned the vehicle and no codes come up.
Changing the MECS fixed it. This is the coolant pump for the 12v transformer that replaces the under hood battery. Best fit guess on the RPM connection was the stronger draw on the hybrid assist.

Quick Reply: Stop safely now at higher RPM only

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands