Stop safely now message

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Stop safely now message

Originally Posted by FjordHybrid
Honestly, I don't know much about the sensors other than I have read (here, maybe) that some people have had them go bad and need replacing. I think if the temperature sensors in the HV battery go bad it is possible that they can make the computer think the battery is either too hot or too cold to start or at least go EV. I do know that the only things that the MECS pump cools is the stuff in the transaxle and the 12V charger.

I drove from Austin to Las Vegas through really hot weather and never had an issue and I have the original MECS pump.
Last year I spend 10 days in New Mexico. It was very hot, but I had no trouble on my 2008 with original pump.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast

I'm sure most FEH owners have had no problem running their car in hot weather. The point is I had a problem starting my FEH in hot weather- and was trying to find out why, on 3 separate occasions in 6 years under the same hot weather conditions, my car failed to start. Once the car was started, it would continue to run, even in hot weather. For instance, I'd stop for gas or at the supermarket- try to start the car later to leave, and it wouldn't start- nearly identical conditions each time.

Happily, the dealer has seemed to have fixed the problem, which appears to have been bad wiring to the PCM.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

On the bright side, you won't have to worry about your vehicle shutting down on the highway WHEN the MECS goes bad. According to my wife its terrifying. So, you just spent the same $600+ I spent, just proactively!