Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Stutter going from ICE to EV mode. (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/stutter-going-ice-ev-mode-14573/)

bekemeier 07-23-2007 10:55 AM

Stutter going from ICE to EV mode.

Our 2006 FEH is having issues going from ICE to EV mode. It stutters, lurches a bit and the ABS light comes on? Anyone else have this issue??

We've taken it to the dealer and they couldn't replicate it in the road test. Today I road tested with the Service Mgr. and couldn't replicate it either. It comes and goes. Sometimes it happens and other times it's fine. Driving me a little nuts that I coouldn't replicate it with Service though.

Mark E Smith 07-23-2007 12:12 PM

Re: Stutter going from ICE to EV mode.

Did they check for diagnostic trouble codes in the memory of the abs system?

bekemeier 07-23-2007 12:20 PM

They said they checked everything and nothing seemed strange.

Mark E Smith 07-23-2007 01:43 PM

This shudder, do you feel it in the brake pedal? Do you feel it on ICE start up at 10-20 mph? You might have warped rotors and only feeling them at the edge of regen braking. See if it will happen with more aggressive braking.

bekemeier 07-23-2007 02:24 PM

I can't tell you exactly when it happens because it is so inconsistent, I can brake hard or soft and it might happen. I should also mention that the ABS light flickers on then goes off right with the stutter/shudder. It feels like the ICE wants to keep going, like a delayed shut off going into the EV mode.

bekemeier 07-23-2007 02:34 PM

It also does not do it at start up, just going from ICE into EV mode after driving for awhile. I don't feel it in the brake pedal, just feels like the engine surging or still going after braking.

Mark E Smith 07-24-2007 09:38 AM

I wonder if your abs system is loosing power and resetting and going through a test which causes the brakes to pulse? Maybe a bad abs relay?

Pravus Prime 07-24-2007 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith (Post 135392)
Maybe a bad abs relay?

That's what I'm thinking, I know you said they didn't have a problem with it, but it's definately one, and one that sounds like it's going to be highly problematic. I'd have them check it again.

bekemeier 07-24-2007 01:46 PM

I think you guys have the right idea because it only happens when I brake, not when I coast into EV mode. I'm going to have them check again. Thanks for the insight.

Mark E Smith 07-24-2007 02:28 PM

I have seen MANY ford relays go intermittent and then fail, usually the contacts get corrosion on them from use/arching they will sometimes loose connection and then reconnect. Non hybrid brake systems are not active like ours and when ours reset they may be actuating momentarily.