Tire pressure is important!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire pressure is important!

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
Saw a Pruis today with Nitrogen filled tires. Here back right tire was nearly flat. I told the owner and she said that she had noticed a decrease in FE.
But remember....NITROGEN doesn't leak out of tires cause its "better"

Old 12-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by GaryG

I'm coming off the effects of ethanol...

GaryG
Too much EggNog?

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Old 12-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
But remember....NITROGEN doesn't leak out of tires cause its "better"
haha. I think that nitrogen is the biggest scam since bottled water.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Is it safe?

The other day I pumped up my Continental Eco Trac tires (original stock tires) to 35 PSI. I noticed that the placard on the door jamb indicated called for 35 PSI, but the sidewall writing on the tires themselves called for max 30 PSI. (They were at 30 from the dealer).

I'm a little worried that I could be setting myself up for a blow-out riding on 35 PSI. Is it really OK to use this pressure?

Old 12-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is it safe?

Originally Posted by MrCrank
The other day I pumped up my Continental Eco Trac tires (original stock tires) to 35 PSI. I noticed that the placard on the door jamb indicated called for 35 PSI, but the sidewall writing on the tires themselves called for max 30 PSI. (They were at 30 from the dealer).

I'm a little worried that I could be setting myself up for a blow-out riding on 35 PSI. Is it really OK to use this pressure?
If I'm not mistaken, some people are riding at 50psi.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:25 AM

I think you either got the wrong tires installed, or mis-read something.

On the tires it should say 44 psi Max.
On the placard on the car, it should say 35psi.

I talked to Ford and the acceptible range for the tires is 25psi to 44psi.

Ford recommends 35 psi as a "middle ground" a compromise of both comfort and performance.

25psi is safe ( just barely ) and will give you softer comfort, but poor performance and shortened tire life.

44psi is safe and will give you better performance, and longer lifespan of the tire, but you will feel a bumpier ride.

Tires will not blow out from pressure until you are over 100psi.
Tires always blow out from damage, not the actual air pressure.
-John

Originally Posted by MrCrank

Old 12-27-2007, 12:01 PM

I noticed if you're willing to put a 225/75-16 tire (only .1" taller than the stock 235/70-16) on a FEH, you can get commericial truck tires that are rated for 80psi. These should have a pretty good LRR effect. I'm curious if anybody has tried this?

Old 12-27-2007, 12:40 PM

very interesting... Can you give an example of a make and model number?
I will need 4 new tires in about 1 year or so, Thanks.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:13 PM
08 MMH 4WD

Originally Posted by gpsman1
25psi is safe ( just barely ) and will give you softer comfort, but poor performance and shortened tire life.

Tires will not blow out from pressure until you are over 100psi.
-John

If you are driving on the sand dunes, they recommend dropping your pressure way down. (just remember to pump them back up before you hit the highway)

On the over 100 PSI, I would have had to disagree several years ago when a "standard" tire blew out the side wall on my Blazer at around 35 PSI after just filling it at the station, dang I hated those "standard" tires.

Not as bad as the re-treads that were on a GMC pickup, one let loose and about 1/3 stayed on the tire becoming a wipping strip damaging the fender, wheel well & running board

Ahh, how I don't miss the 80's some daze!

Old 12-27-2007, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
very interesting... Can you give an example of a make and model number?
I will need 4 new tires in about 1 year or so, Thanks.
I think you can search on a tire retailer site such as tirerack.com under the 225/75-16 size and look at load range 'E'. The 'E' range is 80psi and 'D' range is 65psi. These tires will be heavier than stock because of their high strength construction. Since they're slightly taller and will have a smaller contact patch, I would suspect that the weight increase will be offset. Maybe an engineer or physicist here could model this!
Maybe someone really seeking LRR would use a 15" tire like other Escapes do.

Your local retailer may not stock these tires, but from past experience ordering is quick and relatively painless.

Last edited by D-mac; 12-27-2007 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure is important!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands