Trying to decide on a hybrid SUV...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Trying to decide on a hybrid SUV...

Gary:
I agree totally. I have about 28,000 on mine and I use it nearly exclusively. My lifetime average is around 32 mpg. My wife has the HIHY, so I drive it less often, she is averaging about 27.

MM

Old 05-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MMooney
Um, I have both a Hylander Hybrid AWD and a FEH AWD. As far as power and accelleration goes, the Hylander will blow the FEH into the weeds. (It will also outrun most other cars and trucks.) 0-60 in 7.2 sec, 15.23 quarter mile Hylander Hybrid vs 0-60 in 14.7 sec, 20.1 quarter FEH.

The FEH gets 3 to 6 mpg better mileage.
The one i drove was soft in the spring ratios and under steered bad. i was not impressed. who gives a rats patootie about straight line speeds. those #'s are for rednecks and highschool boys. i want a car that is balanced. the FEH is better in that deparment. my .02 is free.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
The one i drove was soft in the spring ratios and under steered bad. i was not impressed. who gives a rats patootie about straight line speeds. those #'s are for rednecks and highschool boys. i want a car that is balanced. the FEH is better in that deparment. my .02 is free.
Jerry:
Sorry man. I was responding to what you said: "Drive a Highlander hybrid and you will really know what under-powered feels like. " Instead of apparently what you meant.

Clearly, the FEH is less powerful by leaps and bounds than the Highlander.

More stiffly sprung it is. Better balance? My awd Highlander is balanced ok. I have other cars for carving corners besides the two hybrids, so I don't play that way with them.

MM

Old 05-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Trying to decide on a hybrid SUV...

Originally Posted by MMooney
The FEH gets 3 to 6 mpg better mileage.
The GH database shows a consistent 5 mpg difference between the HiHy and the FEH. (or a 20% improvement). If you don't need the extra capacity of the HiHy go with the FEH for FE and Enviro reasons. If you don't need the space and don't care about FE/Enviro...there are Subarus and RAV4s to look at that get close to 25+ mpg. If your top priority is power or towing capacity....the hybrids are not on the market for you yet. IMHO

Old 05-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Easy Being Green

All I can say is that my FEH has had great "giddy up" any time I have needed it for merging and passing. I have never towed anything. But, I have been impressed with the acceleration when I have needed it.

Hope your foot/leg is better!

Old 05-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I feel our 2007 FEH is a little underpowered (my last car was a 260 hp Acura). But that is because we travel up the mountain every couple of weeks. However, I would not trade it in for anything. It runs great and I am getting 36 MPG regularly. I am not sure I understand your thinking that 22/28 for the 4 cyl Highlander is comparable to 30/36 for the FEH. I will tell you that you'll never get the mileage in the Highlander that you could in the FEH. It depends what’s important to you.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast

I really don't need that much power and won't be towing a whole lot. I will likely be driving up from SoCal to Mammoth, Big Bear, and NorCal...but it sounds like I'll have enough power on the hills when I need it and the handling in the snow won't be too bad with the FWD.

My gf has a CR-V that has similar hp numbers to the FEH and I find that to be plenty of power for everyday driving.

I've found one at a dealer nearby that has most everything I want so when I'm able to drive again I'm going to go check it out.

When did the 08s first become available? None of the dealers around here (central TX) have more than 1 or 2.

If I had to special order one, what timeframe am I looking at?

The one at the dealer is the Grey color...but I really wanted to look at the black and the black pearl. What's the difference for anyone who has seen them side by side? You can't really tell much from the online pictures.

I can't wait to get 30+mpg and get rid of my 13mpg Expedition!!!

Old 05-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johnnymack
The one at the dealer is the Grey color...but I really wanted to look at the black and the black pearl. What's the difference for anyone who has seen them side by side? You can't really tell much from the online pictures.
I just bought an 08 FEH in black and the color is a straight solid black. The black pearl has a slight greenish tint to it (hence the term "slate") and up close the paint is more speckled/metallic in appearance.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Radioactive Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sourpoodles
I just bought an 08 FEH in black and the color is a straight solid black. The black pearl has a slight greenish tint to it (hence the term "slate") and up close the paint is more speckled/metallic in appearance.
I'm just waiting for my 08 FEH in Black Pearl Slate to arrive so I can take delivery on it, and I agree on the "slight" greenish tint and slight sparkle up close. From a distance - at least IMHO - the Pearl Slate looks more like a "very very dark grey," especially when compared to any other pure black vehicle next to it. Personally, I loved the color on-site, especially while quietly bemoaning the loss of Redfire on the FEH (my last two Fords have been Redfire!). The Pearl Slate should make people go "wait ... that's not a black car ... or is it?" Hope this helps!

Old 05-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast

I ordered my 2008 Ford Escape 4wheel drive hybrid Febuary 15th and it was ready on the 22nd of march I live just outside of Philadelphia I think they're made in Kansas.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide on a hybrid SUV...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands