Why no electric A/C compressor???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why no electric A/C compressor???

Originally Posted by stevewa

Also consider that Toyota uses a larger capacity battery than the FEH and you have another reason not to use electric AC.
Am I missing something? All the info I have seen shows the Escape has a larger capacity pack than either the Prius or Highlander....

The Prius currently uses a 168 Cell, 201.6V battery pack. Even the older Prius only used a 240 Cell, 288V battery pack. The current Highlander also uses a 288V battery pack, presumably consisting of 240 cells. The Escape/Mariner Hybrid uses a 250 Cell, 330V pack.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tim K
Am I missing something? All the info I have seen shows the Escape has a larger capacity pack than either the Prius or Highlander....

The Prius currently uses a 168 Cell, 201.6V battery pack. Even the older Prius only used a 240 Cell, 288V battery pack. The current Highlander also uses a 288V battery pack, presumably consisting of 240 cells. The Escape/Mariner Hybrid uses a 250 Cell, 330V pack.
Number of cells is meaningless absent the AH rating of each cell, more cells simply means higher voltage assuming standard series connection.

I too had assumed that the FEH/MMH had a heavier duty hybrid battery configuration, as is clearly justified. On the other hand if it is a lower AH capacity then than explains something that has puzzled me.

A lower (basically under-capacity) AH battery rating would justify the need for A/C cooling.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:11 AM

There is another consideration. There's a strong possibility Toyota has patented the electrically powered AC system they are using. IIRC it is powered by the high voltage system, not by the 12v system (the power steering and the brake accumulator are 12v) to get better efficiency, which also makes it a pretty unique (thus patentable) idea. Since electric AC didn't appear in Prius until the 2004 model year, it's likely the patents for it were not included in the licensing negotiations between Toyota and Ford.

Also consider that Toyota uses a larger capacity battery than the FEH and you have another reason not to use electric AC. Personally I think it'd be an improvement to use a fixed speed compressor running off the high voltage system, it could be more conservatively sized and still be effective.
"..fixed speed compressor running off the high voltage..."

No engineer worth his salt would consider a constant speed compressor using electric power derived from a high voltage source as is the hybrid battery.

The correct way to go would be a variable frequency AC drive so that the compressor can be driven at whatever speed is necessay for quick cool-down and then just idle along thereafter.

Even many modern day ICE driven compressors are now variable displacement for the same reason, more efficiency, FE, plus being able to "hold" a constant pumping rate independent of ICE speed.

Patented...I don't think so.

Solid state DC-to-AC inverters, even variable frequency AC-DC-AC ones, are now far to common, even going all the way back to the late sixties, for that to get by the patent office.

Last edited by wwest; 05-17-2007 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:33 AM
SPL

The TCH's A/C compressor is indeed a variable-speed, 3-phase, ac unit driven by an inverter from the high-voltage (245-V) NiMH battery. The attached pages (especially from page BE-51 on) from the New Car Features Guide give the relevant details.

Stan

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BE-043to056.pdf (211.8 KB, 353 views)

Last edited by SPL; 05-18-2007 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Corrected battery voltage.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:52 AM
Early Adopter

Indeed. In any case the point is that by decoupling the compressor speed from engine RPM you can optimize the HVAC system for efficient performance instead of worrying about the wide range of speeds the ICE operates under. It seems to me this would allow use of a smaller compressor since you don't need to size a unit large enough to provide adequate cooling at engine idle.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:33 AM
SPL

FYI, here's some specific NiMH battery information for the TCH:
  • 204 cells @ 1.2 V each = 244.8 V nominal
  • Each cell is 6.5 Ah capacity, giving total energy storage of 1.6 kWh = 5.7 MJ
Stan

Old 05-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

The Ford Escape Hybrid has:

250 cells
330v nominal voltage
Which would mean 1.3v per cell ( never figured out why this is different )
6Ah or 5.5Ah depending on who you ask...

So the FEH battery has between 1.98 kwh and 1.815 kwh.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Early Adopter

Toyota uses a trapezoidal cell instead of the conventional round cell used by Ford, which is supposed to be higher in capacity and density. I don't remember all the details. I do know that battery packs for different models have different capacities. I believe the Prius has the largest capacity compared with Highlander or Camry, but probably shouldn't quote me on that.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Toyota uses a trapezoidal cell instead of the conventional round cell used by Ford, which is supposed to be higher in capacity and density.
The ampere-hour value is 6.5 Ah on Toyota and 5.5 Ah on Ford.
http://www.eaa-phev.org/wiki/Escape_PHEV_TechInfo
I don't remember all the details. I do know that battery packs for different models have different capacities. I believe the Prius has the largest capacity compared with Highlander or Camry, but probably shouldn't quote me on that.
http://www.peve.jp/e/hevkinzoku.html
Prius uses the "Plastic Case Prismatic Module" and Highlander/Camry uses later designed "Metal Case Prismatic Module".
The
ampere-hour values are same, 6.5 Ah.
The power-ratings are same, 1350W/7.2V=1800W/9.6V=187.5A
The cooling is better on the metal case.

If we say the capacity using total Wh value...
Prius: 201.6V X 6.5Ah = 1310.4 Wh
Camry: 244.8V X 6.5 Ah = 1591.2 Wh
Highlander: 288V X 6.5 Ah = 1872 Wh
Escape: 300V X 5.5 Ah = 1650 Wh (using same NiMH nominal 1.2V)

Ken@Japan

Old 05-20-2007, 01:47 PM

Indeed. In any case the point is that by decoupling the compressor speed from engine RPM you can optimize the HVAC system for efficient performance instead of worrying about the wide range of speeds the ICE operates under. It seems to me this would allow use of a smaller compressor since you don't need to size a unit large enough to provide adequate cooling at engine idle.
First, if it were not already necessary to keep the ICE running in order to have a hot water suppy to modulate, moderate, via the reheat/remix cycle, the CHILLING of the A/C system airflow, AND keep the catalyst up to the 800F operating temperature, all that would likely be true.

As it now is it is much better to use a direct drive variable displacement A/C compresssor.

Quick Reply: Why no electric A/C compressor???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands