Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

pondering my personal speed limit

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 03:06 PM
my other car is a FJORD
Default Re: pondering my personal speed limit

Originally Posted by Civic Duty
I am certainly not offended by threads drifting off-topic. I have a hard time finding a single thread on GreenHybrid that doesn't do that. I enjoy evolving discussions, and some of the best things that have come out of our message boards are borne of such discussion.

I do get annoyed by the political dalliances, though. I do have very strong political views about these topics, and I have several other forums and discussion groups where I vent these things. One of the things that I love about GreenHybrid, though, is that I can come here to get away from that sort of thing, and read/discuss my favorite apolitical topic - hybrid cars.

Actually, I don't mind at all when the topic of conversation in here drifts to random topics. Just as long as it isn't something potentially incendiary that could divide the participants here.
as the original poster, i have been thinking the same thing and agree. i also have very strong political opinions, which i think belong on the posts where that is expected and which i also frequent. let us not turn this into a negative experience which diminishes why we post here.

thanks.

Old 11-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

For example, in another forum, I may have prepared a blistering rebuttal to bar10dah's little contribution, but this isn't the place for my to get my political dander riled up. bar10dah, by the way, is an awesome contributor to the forum and someone whose opinions and posts about hybrid cars I respect very much.
Not sure what you're referring to, but coolness. I'm not here to ruffle any feathers, either. We're merely sharing our opinions. And sometimes, I may have an opinion that gets changed because I learn new facts. And at other times, I learn things that further reinforce my opinions. All in all, I enjoy reading the posts on this forum! Even the off-topic ones.

Old 11-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

ad
I do get annoyed by the political dalliances, though.
- Can you believe I had to look "dalliances" up in the dictionary. I've heard the word, and I've used it before, probably out of context, but here it is...

Frivolous spending of time; dawdling.

-This whole forum is one big dalliancy Civic. I liked your post though, but don't agree. Nothing is apolitical.

-HA! I hit "Post Reply." and there were two other posts when I got back.

-So, to Lauries, and Civics posts. I guess this is not the place I thought it would be. The free exchange of ideas is becoming tarnished by those who seek the blandest of pointless banter. Sure, some threads start one way and end the same. Others start on the East, and end in the West. None of my posts have been negative, and none have been innapropriate. Furthermore, neither have anyone elses. In fact there have been some good ideas posted as comments in this thread.

-To a point I agree, but so far I see a group of people that can discuss an idea (no matter the controversy ascribed to it by the rabble) and come out ahead. Not everyone has to agree.

-To bar10dah (Ha, just got that), I agree.

Last edited by biotech_chris; 11-03-2005 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Had to add something, posted after some other posts appeared.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Brains of the Operation

This really is a great site. Even our discussions about our discussions are friendly and stimulating.

Old 11-04-2005, 07:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

-Well put Civic.

Old 11-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Go Army!

Originally Posted by EricGo
I have never understood the american [sic] predilection to be on a first name basis with dictators.
Yeah, like Hitler, Stalin, Amin, etc.

In other words, Saddam is the exception, not the rule. I think referring to him by that name has something to do with the common-ness of the name Hussein in the Arab world -- not only the late King of Jordan shares the name.

BTW, Saddam was referred to as Saddam long before King Hussein I passed away in 1999.