Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

what are gas prices at for you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: what are gas prices at for you?

Lucky you, indeed. I heard on the radio this morning that New Jersey was the only state in the country today with gas prices still under $3, but that must have been some sort of statewide average figure, because by your evidence, individual stations in Arizona, at least, are under the line. Hmmm... anybody want to take a guess when we'll hit $4 nationwide average?

Old 05-24-2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
Also, Illinois has the sixth highest gas tax of any state in the country- 52 cents per gallon. That makes a difference, dontcha think?

http://www.api.org/aboutoilgas/gasol...-Tax-Rates.pdf
I think that makes a difference at the margins. Without the taxes you would stll be paying 3.00/g. And as the price increases, it's not the taxes driving the increase, is it? It would be interesting to subtract the taxes from the price in, hmm, IL, IA, WI, IN for example to see what they would pay without their taxes?

Old 05-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
... anybody want to take a guess when we'll hit $4 nationwide average?
Labor Day weekend is my guess.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:53 AM
Major Uranium Miner

Originally Posted by centrider
I think that makes a difference at the margins. Without the taxes you would stll be paying 3.00/g. And as the price increases, it's not the taxes driving the increase, is it? It would be interesting to subtract the taxes from the price in, hmm, IL, IA, WI, IN for example to see what they would pay without their taxes?
Taxes are not driving the increase, refinery capacity shortfalls and crude prices are the big items. State taxes do determine the relative costs between areas.

State taxes cents per gallon as of March 2007)
IL=52.0 (6th highest in US)
IA=40.4 (31st highest in US)
WI=51.3 (7th highest in US)
IN=46.4 (18th highest in US)

See the following link about motor fuel taxes:
http://www.api.org/aboutoilgas/gasol...-Tax-Rates.pdf

Your sample seems to be on the high end, except for Iowa. Remember, that some local governments, big cities, also add additional tax at the pump.

Here in the cowboy state, the state tax is 32.4 (49th) and yesterday I filled with regular @ $2.95. Same gas sold in Illinois for example would be 2.95-.324+.52= $3.15 about what the data suggestes it is selling for outside of the metro areas. (There are no metro areas in WY.) Also remember that many areas are required to sell reformulated fuels, at an increased cost.

Best info for what gas prices are that I have found is:
http://www.gasbuddy.com/
Very cool especially the "Gas temperature map" which is drag/zoomable.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by centrider
I think you lost track of the subject of this particular point. The 'difference' I was talking about was the difference between gas prices in Illinois and gas prices in other states, not the difference in prices day to day as prices rise in one particular location. Increases in prices are, obviously, not affected by gas taxes that are paid at a flat rate per gallon unless that rate is changed.

I remember once, a few years ago now, when Illinois temporarily suspended its state gas tax in response to the perception that we desparately needed to help consumers deal with high gas prices. I think it must have been during the Clinton years, when governments still had surpluses, and the 'high' gas prices people were afraid of were probably lower than they are right now. You certainly don't see anyone proposing that sort of solution today- it would be a terribly short-sighted thing to do, anyway.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:43 PM

Today I filled in Hill City, SD - 3.29/g at a BP station. The grade was new to me - Silver, w/10% ethanol..

What I would consider Regular was 3.33/g.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Prices have dropped about a dime around here... Generally, about $3.159.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast

We're holding steady at $3.29, some stations near some of the touristy spots are charging $3.49.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here in California, I paid $3.11 yesterday. Prices are droping still.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:58 AM

With a good ol' fashion gas price war in full swing here, the price of regular has dropped to $1.94.

Quick Reply: what are gas prices at for you?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands