Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   2008 Yukon Hybrid A/C Noise (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/2008-yukon-hybrid-c-noise-29621/)

rstegall 04-25-2014 05:10 AM

2008 Yukon Hybrid A/C Noise

My wife has a 2008 Yukon Hybrid that makes a loud noise whenever it is humid/hot outside and the A/C is turned on. if you turn the A/C off and back on it will go away for a short period of time. It does not do it when the vehicle is in Auto Stop, only under gas power. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

evois 04-26-2014 01:12 PM

Re: 2008 Yukon Hybrid A/C Noise

no noise here. can you take a video clip?

rstegall 04-28-2014 10:21 AM

Its very hard to duplicate at it does not do it when the vehicle is stopped.

Hillbilly_Hybrid 04-28-2014 05:05 PM

On hot and more particularly humid days the A/C compressor will work the hardest. With engine running it will run and cool harder. In Auto-Stop the compressor will back down a little. The reason? Noise.

The compressor is mounted on the right front lower engine block just like the belt drive non-hybrid. So it will be more noticable at the right front wheel well. It sounds normal to me.

rstegall 04-28-2014 05:10 PM

Is there a way to reduce or eliminate the noise? It can get pretty loud. Embarrassingly loud at times.

Hillbilly_Hybrid 04-28-2014 06:03 PM

If you want to be warmer in the cabin... unless there is something wrong with the compressor.

evois 05-03-2014 04:25 PM

I like the static and electrical sounds of the hybrid.

rstegall 05-06-2014 05:18 AM

Here is the noise when it is not that loud. I captured this during remote start. It gets way louder than this.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=video%2c.mp4

evois 08-16-2014 06:48 AM

sounded very normal to me....

dbmartin55 08-16-2014 10:08 AM

This was the only TSB I found on A/c Noise
-
Date: May 13, 2009
Subject: EI09115 - Poor A/C Performance, A/C Compressor Noise (Engineering Information)
Models:
2009 Cadillac Escalade Hybrid
2008-2009 Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid, Tahoe Hybrid
2008-2009 GMC Sierra Hybrid, Yukon Hybrid
Attention:
Proceed with this bulletin ONLY if the customer has commented about this concern AND the EI number is listed in GMVIS. If the customer has not commented about this condition or the EI does not show in GMVIS, disregard the bulletin and proceed with diagnostics found in published service information. THIS IS NOT A RECALL -- refer to Service Bulletin 04-00-89-053B for more detail on the use of Engineering Information bulletins.
Condition
Important
If the customer did not bring the vehicle in for this issue, DO NOT proceed with this bulletin. ONLY CONTACT THE ENGINEER IF THE DIAGNOSIS LEADS TO AN A/C REPAIR.
Some customers may comment that the vehicle's A/C is not cooling or is not cold enough. Also, the customer may comment that the compressor is noisy when the A/C is turned on or engaged.
Instructions
Important
DO NOT replace the AC compressor.
GM Engineering is attempting to determine the root cause for numerous "No Trouble Found" compressor returns due to insufficient cooling or noise concerns from the customer. Engineering has a need to gather information on vehicles, PRIOR to repair, that may exhibit cooling or noise concerns. Document the following information on the repair order:
For compressor noise, please confirm:
1. The correct refrigerant charge amount.
2. The compressor attachment bolt torques.
3. The high and low side refrigerant pressures.
For compressor performance concerns, please confirm:
1. The 12 Volt fuse condition.
2. Identify all diagnostic codes that are set.
3. If B101D code is set, clear code and check A/C performance.
Once the above has been documented and confirmed and the condition does not result in acceptable A/C compressor operation, please contact the Warranty Manager before continuing with compressor replacement. If the Warranty Manager is unable to return the call within two hours, proceed with the diagnosis and repair based on information found in SI.

dbmartin55 08-16-2014 10:11 AM

Found 1 more
-
Date: October 06, 2009
Subject: Air Conditioning (A/C) Compressor and/or Serpentine Belt Noise at Vehicle Start-up (Reprogram Powertrain Control Module (PCM))
Models:
2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade Models
2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon Models
Equipped With Air Conditioning (RPOs CJ2 or CJ3)
Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update the Condition and Correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-01-38-010 (Section 01 - HVAC).
Condition
Some customers may comment on air conditioning (A/C) compressor slugging and/or serpentine belt or pulley rattle noise at vehicle start-up in warmer outside ambient temperature conditions. Others may describe the noise as a belt chirp or as a thumping/grinding noise coming from the A/C compressor at vehicle start-up.
Cause
This condition may be caused by the A/C compressor trying to move liquid refrigerant through the system.

Hillbilly_Hybrid 08-16-2014 05:34 PM

Serpentine Belt Noise at Vehicle Start-up

No belt on a hybrid AC compressor.

hybrid-theory 08-16-2014 10:52 PM

My 2009 hybrid Tahoe has had a weird noise lately that I have not been able to nail down, It has never had this noise before that I have noticed.

It has been extraordinarily hot(110 plus) and humid here in the past few months, I suspect the noise has something to do with the AC.

The noise is a deep hum, sort of like a fan, but it has no connection to engine RPM or throttle. it only happens from 20-35 MPH, it's a distinct deep humming noise, only when the ICE engine is engaged.

I have several large diesel trucks and it almost sounds like the fan clutch fully engaging on a large Diesel engine. On a large Diesel engine(11-16 liters), when it needs to be cooled at slow speeds the fan can sound like a tornado, very similar.

Hillbilly_Hybrid 08-17-2014 02:56 PM

The AC compressor is 300V system driven. It runs at speeds and loads commanded by the AC computer. The compressor makes a buzzing sound near the right front wheel forward. In Auto-Stop and slow/parking lot speeds the compressor may slow down to not be too noisy. You will feel changes in the AC air temperature when this happens. Then as the vehicle speed increases the compressor may go to full power and you may be hearing that.

Your main engine cooling fans are 3-speeds. They may be contributing. The dealer scan tool can read and command fan speeds.

The dealer scan tool has the ability to read compressor speed and the refrigerant pressures. The scan tool has the ability to command various compressor speeds.

A clever tech could help here.

LegendMan 05-05-2015 10:52 AM

Any updates from the OP? I have my Wife's Tahoe Hybrid (08) in the shop right now with this issue. They just called and gave me the same listed TSB but I just wanted to make sure nothing else was done.

They are making sure the refridgerant charge amount is at the right levels, so I'm hoping this maybe lessens the amount of times this happens. I can say on any day that is in the high 90's and above, we have to turn off/on just the AC every 5-10 mins...

It may not be an issue for GM right now but if I have to turn the compressor on/off that many times during an Arizona summer, that has to lessen the life of the compressor really quick imo...

Jolo 06-18-2015 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by rstegall (Post 252331)
My wife has a 2008 Yukon Hybrid that makes a loud noise whenever it is humid/hot outside and the A/C is turned on. if you turn the A/C off and back on it will go away for a short period of time. It does not do it when the vehicle is in Auto Stop, only under gas power. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I have a 2008 Yukon, my problem begin when a previous year I had a freon leak, I took it to the dealer 2 times, the fisrt to put the die on, and to re-charge the freon, the 2nd time I brought it in because the freon went out again, at that time the compressor staring to make like a electric motor was on, so I told them, please change the compressor because it's making a lot of noise, but they didn't wanted because it was nothing wrong whit it, so I let it go, and then brought it back for something like the stalling on my wife all the time, and I told them one more time, because it was louder, and that's when they replace it under my warranty.
By the way I still have issues whit stalling and now I have a code about a cat converter error.