Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   AC converter (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/ac-converter-29523/)

Vick J 03-13-2014 08:17 AM

AC converter

Anybody tap the 300v battery pack? It seems ridiculous to carry it around and not. I read an article about this guy using his Prius to run his fridge, freezer, and cell phone charger during a week long power outage. He used a 12 volt to 110 converter and amp/watt draw meter. Would this affect the warranty?

evois 03-13-2014 01:04 PM

Re: AC converter

there should be a 110V outlet in your hybrid. my escalade hybrid has a 110V outlet at the back. So, yes.

Hillbilly_Hybrid 03-13-2014 05:53 PM

Tapping into a high voltage system that can run anywhere from 280V to over 380V depending on operational parameters is ill advised for amateurs. These systems are regulated by the government to have isolation detection in case of trouble. So at best you could be "detected" by the system and walk. At worst... Darwin Award. That said. Wouldn't it be cool to power your home from one? The HV current and power draw to power most of a house is well within operational limits of the 2 Mode. But your inverter would have to include an isolation impedance significantly greater than the existing truck. The "device" will add a parallel impedance and therefore is subject to the math thereof so as not to trigger a "Sky-Net" reaction to stop you. Next the device must tolerate the sags and spikes of system voltage. Engine starts and other swings mean variable system voltage. Lastly, if you are running the engine and making significant electrical power and that power does not show up in the HV battery because it is going elsewhere, "Sky-Net" may figure out that and do something.

evois 03-13-2014 09:11 PM

would it be nice if it was a diesel/hybrid then? the ultimate portable generator.

Vick J 03-14-2014 08:13 AM

Thanks for the responses. My truck has 3 12v outlets and no 110v. My wife's Acadia (non-hybrid) has at least 4 12v outlets and 110v in the rear of the console. Tapping the HV sounds dicey. I understand the guy's Prius cycled on and off to maintain the inverters demands. How big of a 12v inverter could I use and expect the truck to do the same?

Hillbilly_Hybrid 03-18-2014 11:52 AM

You may be able to run 1500 Watts from 12V system. Anything more would be pushing it. That's over 111 amps from 12V system.