blackstone lab UOA(used oil analysis)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: blackstone lab UOA(used oil analysis)

evois,

Do you have and use a block heater in your engine?

Old 02-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
evois,

Do you have and use a block heater in your engine?
no, I have never used a block heater at all. I use mobil 1 synthetic and watch the oil pressure of the engine and drive conservatively until it reaches operating temperature and pressure.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

With the tin and lead levels being as low as they are, the copper is not coming from the main/rod bearings. The only thing I know that could cause that level of copper would be a copper based anti-seize on an oil gallery plug or somewhere else that is in contact with the oil and leeching into it.

I doubt it's your oil as I run Mobil One in everything except my F-350 diesel ( Shell Rotella T6 for it) and have never had a problem in the 9 current family cars nor in any that preceded them including several that went over 200,000 miles and most of them went well over 150,000 miles.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:36 AM
Administrator

With the tin and lead levels being as low as they are, the copper is not coming from the main/rod bearings. The only thing I know that could cause that level of copper would be a copper based anti-seize on an oil gallery plug or somewhere else that is in contact with the oil and leeching into it.

I doubt it's your oil as I run Mobil One in everything except my F-350 diesel ( Shell Rotella T6 for it) and have never had a problem in the 9 current family cars nor in any that preceded them including several that went over 200,000 miles and most of them went well over 150,000 miles.
as you can see the numbers normalized(3rd=left) from the 1st(right) and 2nd(middle) samples and I did not repeat it again since it had a good TBN, etc.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

I take it you hang out over on BITOG as well?

Old 02-09-2014, 09:18 AM
Administrator

I take it you hang out over on BITOG as well?
not really unless somebody quotes a link from bitog. the only time I looked was when I was looking for the German Castrol for my range. but it is a good source of info if you are looking for oil applications for engines. I found Mobil 1 extended performance to be as good as any full synthetic that I change the oil interval for my 200k+ miles honda pilot to every 15k miles. after several black stone samples of course.