Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   I thought this might be of some interest... (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/i-thought-might-some-interest-21400/)

jet1 03-31-2009 02:51 PM

I thought this might be of some interest...

and perhaps dispel some of the OVERLY NEGATIVE "chicken little sky is falling" comments made here regarding one persons experience with an alleged perceived brake failure.

http://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/Arti...ecautions.aspx

:zip:

willywaxer 03-31-2009 03:59 PM

Re: I thought this might be of some interest...

Thanks for the post! If anything, it helps us better understand some of the normal quirks of these hybrid vehicles.

jet1 03-31-2009 06:28 PM

I found out about the emergency disconnect..

Originally Posted by willywaxer (Post 200424)
Thanks for the post! If anything, it helps us better understand some of the normal quirks of these hybrid vehicles.

under the back seat...I don't believe i saw that in the manual but it seems like a good thing to know about.
also this is very interesting
"No brake assist (hard pedal) after disconnecting battery. Customers or technicians who are disconnecting the battery must wait for a period of at least one minute with the ignition in the “off” position without pausing at “accessory” and without applying the brake pedal prior to disconnecting the negative battery cable. These steps are necessary to allow the brake system pressure relief procedure to occur. Failure to follow these steps may result in warning lamps and/or DTCs being set pertaining to interruption of the pressure relief procedure. Other vehicle systems may also be affected by not allowing a one-minute duration for power-down. "

jet1 04-16-2009 08:44 AM

Bump...

because I think this is IMPORTANT info that everyone should read.

trock55 11-16-2009 12:18 PM

One person? I think not. Do a Google search on the topic and you may be surprised. The sky isn't falling, and life will go on. And I am sure most everyone is doing what they can to resolve the issue...BUT, that's why we have forums like these to open up the lines of communication. I have a post on the site with additional information. I am a real person with a real issue and would gladly discuss it with anyone who is curious.

Not all vehicles made by one auto-maker is faulty, but you have to admit there is a problem that doesn't appear to be going away any time soon.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...l-times-23226/

The first post was not to get anyone wound up, but more of a PSA. There are many stories similar to mine all over the internet. I would be willing to send copies of the original repairs (or lack of) to anyone interested.

My intent is not to say Chevy/GM or any dealership is intentionally out to hurt anyone, but there is an obvious problem that is not being addressed...failing brakes. Sugar-coat it however you want...loss of power assist, regenerative braking issue, it doesn't really matter...the fact is brakes are failing...and not just once.

In my minimal exposure to the English language I have found that failure is defined as: to fall short of success or achievement in something expected, attempted, desired, or approved (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/failed). I attempted to stop a vehicle with the brakes and it failed to stop as it should have. I believe that would be “falling short” of an expectation.

IF I would have been approaching a "T" intersection or approaching stopped traffic I would have probably killed someone or have been killed myself. I completely understand that an auto-maker would place ridiculous comments in forums like this to save their product, but the fact remains is that there is a flaw somewhere and the public deserves to hear about it...and an auto-maker has an obligation to resolve it.

Nothing was posted to have you walk away thinking that all Tahoe Hybrids are bad, but it appears there are some obvious issues. If it were your children involved in a crash due to lack of knowledge you would want the information published.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/che...brake-failure/

jet1 11-16-2009 01:32 PM

Lol!

blah blah this and blah blah that....and it all STILL POINTS BACK TO ONE POST on THIS FORUM.......

"Mr. Farago, I stumbled on this little tidbit while reading greenhybrid.com. A forum member named gltech has a problem with his Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid’s brakes (as in failing repeatedly)."

and blah blah blah....thanks for VERIFYING the fact that this is, at best, an ISOLATED instance.

beating a DEAD HORSE never got anyone anywhere...period. Now when the NHTSB gets interested and sees more than ONE isolated instance (most likely caused by the same thing that causes most air plane crashes --- PILOT ERROR) THEN i'll be more interested in wasting another single second on this topic.
JUST ADMIT that you bought the wrong car for the wrong reasons...and sell it....then buy some other new dream car---and of course I'll bet $100.00 that it will have some problems just like your last one did and the one before that and the one before that etc.....
good day.

CPMS 11-17-2009 03:26 AM

Uhhhh, here we go with the brake thing again. And Jet's pissed ... again .... ;)

jet1 11-17-2009 10:35 AM

here is my take on this....

this guy bought a vehicle he HAD to get for what ever reasons, not unlike guys who buy Aston Martins (lovely car but about as reliable as a broken watch) He has probably gone through a bunch of cars for the same reason. After buying it he didn't bother to learn how to drive it and typically just mashed the gas to go. and low and behold it doesn't get any better mileage than a regular one so now hes mad. 'lets see how can i get rid of this car and get my next "dream" car...I know I'll complain about stuff till GM buys it back.' Well crap they went bankrupt so now all my peers are laughing at me for buying this thing.

Now I'm not saying this is what happened but it is an example of how this could happen (try it and you will see what I mean)

1. start the car with the remote start
2. get in the car
3. put the key in the ignition but only turn it to the RUN position (steering wheel unlock) instead of turning it through the start position.
4. drive off -steering unlocked -car running fine
5. go a short distance and low and behold the engine "stalls" out because you never turned the key through the start cycle. [Its supposed to shut down if you start it remotely then don't go through the proper drive sequence.]
6. wow the brakes don't work (well I'm not strong enough to push hard on the pedal anyway.)
7. complain to dealer that brakes failed
8. repeat as needed.

options:
actually do this and then crash into something to prove your car is defective.

the NHTSB would be all over this kind of failure and guess what...there is nothing to validate a problem.

why did I buy this maligned hybrid? simple----reduced carbon footprint. I don't expect to get much over 20 MPG average but if I'm sitting at a stop light my engine is OFF while everyone else around me is idling. I like that! Could I have gotten something more efficient--yes...but have you ever tried to tow an L-39 with a prius? talk about getting laughed off the runway, not to mention hauling flight gear and fire bottles and.....well you get the idea, and wheezing along the interstate at 65 or less to get better mileage is not my idea of a valued use of your time.
Top gear recently did a challenge where they pitted a prius against a BMW M3 series. They drove around their track at a set speed and the BMW got something like 20% BETTER mileage than the prius...enough said.

would I have built it differently---yes slightly.

they eliminated the spare....and then put some great big resonator in its place. Well instead of doing that why not put more batteries in the space EXTENDING the battery only operating distance and/or let the car go up to 40 mph on batteries rather than 30 mph since the average speed limits on the streets where I live is 35.
oh and....put the BMW navigation system in it.....and that really is about it. any other changes I would mare are personal choice things.

oh and FIGHTER PILOTS NEVER BACK DOWN FROM A SKIRMISH!

;)

txav8r 11-26-2009 12:06 PM

Hate to bust your bubble jet1...but you do not have to turn the key to the start position after a remote start in the standard or hybrid versions of the Silverado and would bet you don't in the Tahoe/Yukon either. Run is the correct position to put the key in after a remote start. This is the sentence out of the Owners Manual from a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado Chapter 2, Page 8

"After entering the vehicle during a remote start, insert
and turn the key to RUN to drive the vehicle."

It is the same in my 2-Mode Hybrid Silverado. I have remote start and I put the key in RUN after a remote start. The vehicle runs normally and has no issues other than questionable fuel mileage since I did the Open Recall Notice 09241 to Reprogram the Trans Controller in the Hybrid Control Module.

BTW, I love my Silverado!

CPMS 11-26-2009 05:49 PM

Mel's right. I have an 09 Tahoe Hybrid and you don't need to turn the key to start if it's running using the remote start.