installed the volant intake today

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 02:15 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: installed the volant intake today

sorry , trying to post pics on here and that's first one that popped up.. Trying to show Volant intake installed, wish me luck...lol

Old 03-28-2014, 02:17 AM
Enthusiast

back picture showing the full size spare.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:40 AM
Enthusiast

https://imageshack.com/i/0ozgsdj

Old 03-28-2014, 02:41 AM
Enthusiast

anyway, theres a few pics of my Con if you click the imageshack link. Thoughts ?

Old 05-24-2014, 07:59 AM
Enthusiast

I just installed the Volant Cold Air Intake 152536 today on my 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid 4WD at 55,932 miles. I am very skeptical, but it was time to change the air filter anyway, so I figured I would give it a shot.

I had to drill-out one of the Air Box holes that did not line-up, but otherwise it was a fairly straightforward installation. I regularly use Fuelly to log my fill-ups, and will watch closely over the next several tanks and report back regarding fuel economy.

My current average is 18.1 MPG (84% City/16% Highway). Best was 19.9 MPG. No other mods. Hoping that the Volant will help me get to 20 MPG.

Last edited by doc5339; 05-28-2014 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 06-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doc5339
I just installed the Volant Cold Air Intake 152536 today on my 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid 4WD at 55,932 miles. I am very skeptical, but it was time to change the air filter anyway, so I figured I would give it a shot.

I had to drill-out one of the Air Box holes that did not line-up, but otherwise it was a fairly straightforward installation. I regularly use Fuelly to log my fill-ups, and will watch closely over the next several tanks and report back regarding fuel economy.

My current average is 18.1 MPG (84% City/16% Highway). Best was 19.9 MPG. No other mods. Hoping that the Volant will help me get to 20 MPG.
First fill-up after installing Volant, also did Oil Change with Mobil 1 5W30 Extended Performance oil and oil filter, added zMAX Engine and Fuel Formulas. Driving approx. 85% city/15% highway, using lots of AC and being fairly cautious on the throttle (harder with nice sound from engine), 87 Octane "PureMax" ETHANOL-FREE gas from Spinx:

18.1 MPG (hand-calculated/recorded on Fuelly)

I think that it is safe to say that claims of 4 MPG increase are largely BS. I will post the next few fill-ups and see if there is any improvement; if not I may post the Volant for sale.

Last edited by doc5339; 06-02-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Who claimed 4 mpg on a cold air system? You are piloting a 3 Ton Sport Brutility Vehicle. That would be over 20% improvement.

I put a K&N on my K2500 Suburban. I had no expectations of part throttle fuel economy improvement since the 5 closed loop oxygen sensors drive the fuel injection strategy at part throttle.

Now Wide Open Throttle where factory calibrations are usually 4% over-rich. Yes.

But WOT on a 496 Cu In is expensive.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
Who claimed 4 mpg on a cold air system? You are piloting a 3 Ton Sport Brutility Vehicle. That would be over 20% improvement.

I put a K&N on my K2500 Suburban. I had no expectations of part throttle fuel economy improvement since the 5 closed loop oxygen sensors drive the fuel injection strategy at part throttle.

Now Wide Open Throttle where factory calibrations are usually 4% over-rich. Yes.

But WOT on a 496 Cu In is expensive.
Volant claims "up to 4 MPG" on the box, and I believe that Jet1 has made some pretty big gain claims as well. Seriously not trying to "stir the pot," just adding my experience in an attempt to help the next guy who may want to buy a CAI.

My general experience in the past, specifically with Turbo Diesels (LB7 Duramax and 3rd Gen Cummins) has been that unless you are trying to push 500 rwhp, the stock air box works pretty well. On a positive note, I must say that the "butt dyno" feels pretty good with the Volant installed, and the sound is a big improvement.

Last edited by doc5339; 06-02-2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jet1
nope just the intake early returns in fuel mileage indicate a 4+ mpg increase, now on to the big worry---the VOIDED WARRANTY debate..!
Jet1 may have been using his DIC for his MPG?

Old 06-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Sounds like the Split Fire spark plug claims to me. A co-worker put them in his drag car and lost time. When he complained they said "some" cars gain. 1 mpg on my 4.5 Ton monster would be fantastic. As is 13 is all I'm most likely going to get. I'm still skeptical since induction systems tune torque, power, and drive by noise results. Then there is the issue of the Mass Air Flow sensor response. MAF. Most are now "Hot Wire Anemometers". So the electrical power to keep the element at a specific temperature is correlated to air flow. Sometimes slight geometry changes skew these log-linear relationships and can adversely change performance. Worst case is a correlation fault between the MAF and other sensors. The mice got my Suburban filter and the K&N was only $18 more at the big box store. So my quad, boat, and monster truck all have them now. I noticed on the Yamaha, but I also put 40 hours into the head, carb, and air box on the flow bench when I did the K&N. The boat picked up a solid 100 rpm. Whooo Hooo! Carburetor. I had to do something on the boat. The Coast Guard would have given me a ticket for the old shot flame arrestor.

And mpg... I always correlate DIC with the pump. The longer the total interval the better. Also using the same pump and fill method increases accuracy. The filler neck on these hybrids can trick you. I have pack as much as 2.5 gallons in after the first cooujple click offs.

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 06-02-2014 at 04:59 PM. Reason: context.

Quick Reply: installed the volant intake today

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands