Power Brake Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Power Brake Problem?

We purchased a 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid about 3 weeks ago and have loved driving it. 3 days ago I was backing out of the driveway (with the family) and could barely get the thing to stop as we were rolling back! I then drove around the neighborhood for about 30 seconds (at about 10 mph) and realized the brakes were failing. The "service stabilitrak", etc, warnings were lighting up in front of me. I parked it in garage, and started it about 3 hours later and everything was fine. I drove it to the dealership Sat morning and they found a "control module" was "...out of spec.." (whatever the hell that means). I asked if this was a repeat problem with the automobile and if Chevy had heard of this multiple times in the past. The service team stated they'd never heard of any issues with the Tahoe Hybrid at all. They now need to keep my car about 6 days (it's going to "..take some time to get the part to fix it..."). Needless to say, I've got a sick feeling in my gut after spending $55k, driving the thing 612 miles, and having the brakes fail. I'm even more sick to see how many times this problem has presented itself to other Tahoe Hybrid owners!! It's a real issue, no doubt, and I'm wondering if anyone has heard if GM has solved the issue!
Should we "cut bait" now because this thing will only get worse? I'm trying to remain positive, but would never forgive myself if my wife is driving our 1 year old around and the brakes go out again!!!!! What's GM doing to solve this problem that seems all to common when you google the issue on the web. I was so hoping it was a quirk one-time-thing.

Any additional insight anyone may have would be great. Here's to being positive, giving GM the benefit of the doubt, and hoping this '09 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid is the great automobile we thought it was.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:02 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default 1 question for you...

Originally Posted by kdawg1
We purchased a 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid about 3 weeks ago and have loved driving it. 3 days ago I was backing out of the driveway (with the family) and could barely get the thing to stop as we were rolling back! I then drove around the neighborhood for about 30 seconds (at about 10 mph) and realized the brakes were failing. The "service stabilitrak", etc, warnings were lighting up in front of me. I parked it in garage, and started it about 3 hours later and everything was fine. I drove it to the dealership Sat morning and they found a "control module" was "...out of spec.." (whatever the hell that means). I asked if this was a repeat problem with the automobile and if Chevy had heard of this multiple times in the past. The service team stated they'd never heard of any issues with the Tahoe Hybrid at all. They now need to keep my car about 6 days (it's going to "..take some time to get the part to fix it..."). Needless to say, I've got a sick feeling in my gut after spending $55k, driving the thing 612 miles, and having the brakes fail. I'm even more sick to see how many times this problem has presented itself to other Tahoe Hybrid owners!! It's a real issue, no doubt, and I'm wondering if anyone has heard if GM has solved the issue!
Should we "cut bait" now because this thing will only get worse? I'm trying to remain positive, but would never forgive myself if my wife is driving our 1 year old around and the brakes go out again!!!!! What's GM doing to solve this problem that seems all to common when you google the issue on the web. I was so hoping it was a quirk one-time-thing.

Any additional insight anyone may have would be great. Here's to being positive, giving GM the benefit of the doubt, and hoping this '09 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid is the great automobile we thought it was.
when you started it did you leave it in neutral/park for 20 to 30 seconds or did you immediately shift it to reverse?
I ask because there is a software update that I got after I started my 08 Yukon and immediately pulled away. My engine stalled and wouldn't restart in neutral! I put it in park and it started right up I was very close to a GMC dealer and they immediately took it in and said there was a service bulletin out on this (they gave me a copy) in it it stated that you need to let the car run for 30 or so seconds before shifting into drive/reverse. I think it has to do with all the various modules talking to each other. anyway they updated the software and it has been fine ever since and so far i'm convinced that this is the best hybrid option out there right now. Incidentally it seems like this brake problem is only reported by Tahoe owners so far although I don't see how it would matter much since they are all assembled in the same factroy.
good luck and don't abandon ship ---- yet

Old 03-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast

I didn't immediately put it into reverse, but don't know that I waited 20 to 30 seconds either. It was probably the standard timeframe we all generally use. I don't know that i've ever waited 20 or 30 seconds before putting a car in reverse, but will try when we get the thing back.
When the brakes failed, it was shocking to say the least. But to google "brake failure in hybrid Tahoe" and see all the posts/info/blogs that are identical to this situation tells me that GM has a problem that has now been passed along to the consumer and they're not talking about it (or proactively fixing it!). Believe me, we don't want to abandon ship as we love this truck but I don't love it enough to risk my family's health as you can well imagine.
thanks n will keep posted as to the results from the dealership

Old 03-29-2009, 01:51 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default oh and I did the search you suggested...

the whole first page of the finds seemed to eventually lead back to this particular forum...food for thought. have you looked at the NHTSA to see if there is anything there? I know that there is a vehicle for reporting problems directly to them.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site...6df1020008a0c/

im going to dig through that site for a while.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Enthusiast

Hi:
I had a similar issue and they replaced a control module, the start battery, and reprogrammed the engine computer and since then, no issues. I too, had no brakes, with the warning lights after an issue with starting. Mine was not similar to yours in that mine occurred after the start battery ran down to nothing and the truck needed to be jumped in order to start. I haven't cut bait yet, but was thinking the same thing as you were. One more time and I will call it quits, but since the issue I had and the fix, no issues.
Brian

Old 03-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, Brian. We've only had 600 miles on ours and there's been no issues with the battery going out. How did u jump it? I was told that to jump these things would be like setting off the space shuttle...BOOM!

i'm hoping these guys can take care of the issue at the dealership and we're good to go. THe idea of brakes going out is just crazy! where's the freaking recall????

Old 03-29-2009, 03:31 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default jumping a hybrid is exactly like jumping a regular tahoe

there is nothing to "blow up" its just a regular 12 volt car battery it has nothing to do with the hybrid propulsion battery.
I have gone through the NHTSA site and there are no reports on this issue, the one common thread is that the 12v battery goes flat. I purposly load tested mine by leaving the heater and radio on while stopped, HOWEVER I left the key ON and the car was in auto stop. The engine wasn't running but WOULD start if the draw on the battery dropped to a low level. There is no reason to turn your car off if it is warm and you are stopped and in the car. the engine is off and not using any fuel UNLESS it needs to.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: jumping a hybrid is exactly like jumping a regular tahoe

Either way, there's a brake failure issue that needs a resolution. Most haven't been provided that solution as of yet (multiple trips to the dealer, repurchase of vehicle, etc). I'm hoping, by now, GM has the fix and we're back on track. I love that ****ed truck!! It's a beauty and ran like a charm until I realized it wasn't going to stop for me. There have been zero battery issues, but I'm now knocking on wood.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Enthusiast

For me, it was a bad module that thought that a door was still open and the dome lights stayed on for an extended stay while I had the truck parked at the airport. With that module replaced and the starting battery replaced and a reprogram, it was good to go. Jumping was pretty easy. There is a red terminal on the battery to attach a jumper cable to and the black/negative goes to an engine/chassis ground (rather than the battery itself). Crossing my fingers and knocking on wood, have had about 1000 miles since that incident and no issues since and getting 20.1 MPG with mostly city driving. Good stuff and boating season is upon us, so ready to tow with it once again.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Chevy Man

It is important to note that there are a number of different scenarios that can occur to cause that message to illuminate and cause the loss of power brake assist. It sounds like you lost you power brake asisst as you should still be able to stop by pushing down on the pedal hard as hell. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that everyone who has had this message illuminate or lost power brake assist had the same route cause. There are 30 or so modules on this vehicle and a failure or glitch in one or many of them could cause your issue.

By no means am I saying you shouldn't be pissed and very concerned. I am just saying try to find out what it is and then try to determine if it is the same thing that you are reading about. Many times people on forums post things without sharing all the pertinent technical info which sometimes leads to confusion.

I know for a fact that GM has pretty much taken away the rep's ability to buy back your vehicle or really offer you anything but free oil changes. If you are truly concerned then I would document the hell out of this incident and then if you have another one then I would immediately call customer assistance (800-222-1020) to file a complaint and then file a case with the BBB as described in your manual. The more miles you acrue the more the vehicle will be depreciated with regards to the guidelines spelled out for arbitration.

In fact, I would call Chevrolet customer assistance today to get a paper trail going with them with regards to your issue. You will be given a case number and keep it handy.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Quick Reply: Power Brake Problem?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands