Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   rear seat DVD player needed (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/rear-seat-dvd-player-needed-21066/)

MARIOS 02-20-2009 07:37 AM

rear seat DVD player needed

My 08' Hybrid Tahoe came with out DVD player, and I need to install a after market unit, I need to know if this will affect my warranty and any after market unit will work? or has to be something special for hybrids
Also any recommendations on what kind of entertainment system will work?
Thanks

tijbbari 02-20-2009 08:06 AM

Re: rear seat DVD player needed

I have the factory system, but afaik, you don't have to have anything special just because it is a hybrid. My only suggestion is to make sure the power to the system is only on when the car is running, so as to not run down the battery. The factory player will run down the battery in accessory mode fairly quickly.

jet1 02-20-2009 09:54 AM

I have seen them for sale on EBAY...

...in the motors-parts and accessory section. you might be able to pick up a factory unit and it would probably be a plug and play install. BTW in mine if you have the yukon in park the movie shows on the front and rear screen.

nicka 02-20-2009 02:14 PM

I would recommend asking your dealership who they use for aftermarket accessory installs and try to use them. This way they already have a relationship with the vendor and if there ever is an issue the dealer can call them up and have them come to do whatever they need to if an issue arises.

The basic answer to your question of "Will it affect my warranty" is that it SHOULD not as long as it is installed properly. I would not attempt to buy anything on Ebay unless you are skilled at installing yourself. Even if you found a supposed "Plug N Play" unit you will still have to cut the headliner and run wires. It will be worth the extra couple $$ to buy from a local vendor and MUCH easier to get any repairs done if any problems with the unit arise.

jet1 02-20-2009 04:11 PM

I agree with the professional install...

Originally Posted by nicka (Post 197872)
I would recommend asking your dealership who they use for aftermarket accessory installs and try to use them. This way they already have a relationship with the vendor and if there ever is an issue the dealer can call them up and have them come to do whatever they need to if an issue arises.

The basic answer to your question of "Will it affect my warranty" is that it SHOULD not as long as it is installed properly. I would not attempt to buy anything on Ebay unless you are skilled at installing yourself. Even if you found a supposed "Plug N Play" unit you will still have to cut the headliner and run wires. It will be worth the extra couple $$ to buy from a local vendor and MUCH easier to get any repairs done if any problems with the unit arise.

but the "plug and play" idea keeps someone from cutting into the wiring and splicing things together. :shade:

jet1 02-23-2009 01:44 PM

here is my idea of a "plug and play"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMC-Y...3A1|240%3A1318

on ebay now any competent shop should be able to install it...:zip:

nicka 02-23-2009 03:14 PM

The problem with a system like this is that it would carry NO warranty. Even though it is an OEM unit, for it to be covered by warranty it has to be purchased new from a GM dealership and installed by them. I like the idea of a good aftermarket unit, just make sure you have a warranty on it.

robmck 07-07-2009 05:06 PM

I bought my Tahoe in the UK, which uses a different region DVD from the US.

Here my dealer installed a PS2 in the centre console with a pair or wireless hand controllers to operate on the drop down screen.
It also plays DVDs.
Oh and it works with the wireless headsets provided.
So why restrict your rear seat passengers to watching when they can play too!!!:)

Rob McK