Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   Roof Racks for Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/roof-racks-yukon-hybrid-21076/)

cmooreduck 02-20-2009 08:01 PM

Roof Racks for Yukon Hybrid

I traded a conventional Yukon for the Hybrid and one thing I miss is the roof racks. GM Dealer says they were left off Hybrid for aerodynamic (drag) reasons. Also says they cannot install them

Anyone know of aftermarket possibilities? Both Thule & Yakima appear to be a no go, so far.

The top of the car looks like it has channels that would accept factory racks. I need the roof for cargo bag every so often.

nicka 02-21-2009 09:04 AM

Re: Roof Racks for Yukon Hybrid

I suggest going through some of the previous threads on this forum. There are several discussions about this topic specifically. You should be able to see what others have discussed and done.

Tahoe1231 02-25-2009 12:17 PM

I went to a Thule dealer and had a set put on. works great. Doesn't look as good as the original equipment racks I had on my old Tahoe tnough.

nicka 02-26-2009 09:31 AM

Hey Tahoe1231,

Any pics? Would love to see how it looks :)

Tahoe1231 02-27-2009 01:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I'm not a photographer but here are a couple.

Gruson 02-27-2009 01:41 PM

Not bad...was it an easy install?

Now, take off the Hybrid sticker on the side!

Tahoe1231 02-27-2009 01:53 PM

It was real easy for me. I had someone else do it. Cost about $650 out the door but it was a very last minute thing and I didn't shop around at all. It was done within 3 hours of me making my first call to them.

I agree with the sticker. I wish I would have had the dealer do it when I bought it but I picked it up on my way out of town and now I'm too lazy to take it somewhere to get them taken off.

nicka 02-27-2009 03:51 PM

By the looks of it they had to drill into the roof to mount the track? Do you know if they dropped the headliner?

With regards to the decals, take it to the dealer or have it done at your next service as they can get paid via a warranty claim from GM to do it for you. Don't let them tell you no, there is a bulletin with specific instructions for them including which heat gun to use as well as which adhesive. It gives them labor ops and times so it will cost you $0.

Tahoe1231 02-27-2009 04:05 PM

Thanks for the tip on the decal.

I was not there when they put the racks on but based on how fast they did it, I can't imagine they pulled the headliner out.

jet1 03-01-2009 09:34 AM

I am seriously thinking about adding escalade bars

to my yukon. I think they look the best.