Software Update and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Software Update and other questions

Hiya!

I bought My 2008 Chev Tahoe Hybrid back in August (Great deal with the GM employee discount.... 41K brand new, fully loaded!!). I have 8400 miles on it now (SoCal driving), and have not experienced the problems with the engine as discussed in earlier threads, but I have a couple of questions...

Can you tell by the DIC or other way if you have the newest software upgrade? Is this something I have to ask the dealer to do?

I saw a post about installing a module to be able to watch the DVD while driving... Does this affect your warranty?

I also saw a post about getting a GM kit to upgrade the ability to have bluetooth for the 08. I would have waited for the 09 model if I knew it had it at the time.

And lastly, what has you all shown for Highway mileage. Have yet to take it on a long trip, was curious about it.

Take Care!!!!

Vince

Old 03-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Software Update and other questions

Vince,

I have installed the module that you are likely referring too. It is called a "lockpick". you can find it online at
http://www.coastaletech.com

I bought this unit for a Chevy Avalanche that I previously owned, and transferred it to my '09 Tahoe. I also have the Tellphone 5000 unit installed with it that uses the navscreen to interface with your cellphone, and will provide caller ID on the navscreen when calls are received.
The lockpick feature allows DVD's to play in the front while in motion, as well as FULL function of the nav system to type in addresses.
It is fully a Plug and Play unit, and does NOT void your warranty, as it does not modify any existing components.
Nice product, I would recommend ... especially coupled with the bluetooth kit.

In my experience, highway mileage depends on many factors, particularily how you drive.
Cruise control on at 70 will likely give you 22 in a mostly flat, no wind condition.
The faster you go, the less mileage you can expect. A headwind or tailwind will greatly effect the mileage also. If you shut the cruise off, allow the vehicle to slow slightly going uphill, and accelerate back to speed downhill, while trying to maintaining 4 cyl mode, it is possible to achieve much better mileage then with the cruise, which will push the ICE to 8cyl mode often. My best so far is 26.2, not using the cruise control on a couple 200+ mile trips last week.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:01 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default software update...

just take it to the dealer (making sure they have a good TRAINED service guy) It is a fairly complex operation and requires some specialized tools such as a buffered battery charger as they cannot install the upgrade with the car running. I asked if I could follow the tech and he explained a lot to me. It didn't take too long (45 min) and It seems to have changed a couple of characteristics for the better IE it will shut down the engine without the engine being up to full temp. Before you had to hit the normal operating temp now it works at the first temp guage hash mark. Also I think that it is easier (right foot related) to keep it in 4V more of the time around town.
The blue tooth kit is not available yet to the best of my knowledge and the warranty question is kind of a crap shoot as it depends on the dealer and your relationship. I had an Audi S4, and a very good relationship (I took them cookies at Christmas) with the dealer but they still frowned on any mods to the car and would void the warranty depending on what you had done. needless to say I kept it stock and it was plenty of car stock!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Looks good. I plan on driving a few hunderd miles next weekend. My first long highway trip. I will be interested in what I get.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Chevy Man

Originally Posted by Cygnus9th
Can you tell by the DIC or other way if you have the newest software upgrade? Is this something I have to ask the dealer to do?

I saw a post about installing a module to be able to watch the DVD while driving... Does this affect your warranty?
Congrats on the new truck. I have the same color.

With regards to your first question; No, you can not tell anything about your software from the DIC. It is important to understand that there are not simple "blanket" software updates. Each module (I believe there are close to 50 on the hybrid) has it's own software related to it. Now, there are modules that are more commonly reprogrammed than others, but it depends on the issue you are having. You have to understand that the dealer does not get paid and should not be checking for software updates unless you bring the vehicle in for a specific complaint or they are notified of any needed when they do a vehicle inquiry using your VIN# (VISS). If you went to the dealer and asked them to check and upgrade the software for the truck when everything was working perfectly and you had no other complaints they would probably look at you like you had two heads. I suggest sticking to the saying "If it aint broke, don't fix it." When you go to the dealer for service or any compaint they should VISS your vehicle using your VIN# and it will tell them if there are any updates that are needed specifically for your car.

Of course, when there are things out in the open like the issues with some of the 12V batteries I would recommend having them check it if your truck was built before 3/08 though. This can be done when you take it in for routine maintenance.

As for the warranty and the LockPick, it should have no effect on your warranty. I say this with some confidence as a former Chevrolet Service Manager. The reason being is that the Coastaltech LockPick requires no splicing and it plugs inbetween the factory harness and radio plugs. There is nothing in the unit that should cause a surge and if you had an issue you can simply remove it by unplugging. When you start splicing into the factory wiring you technically immediately void your warranty.

I like Jet1's cookies at Christmas. You didn;t hear this from me, but it also helps if you give your service guy something as simple as a $5 bill when you go in for service and tell him to get a coffee on you. It is amazing how well they remember the customers that treat them courteously, with respect, and do something nice for them. You don't have to always "Grease the palm" maybe bring them a box of donuts in the morning when you drop off

Old 03-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast

Heya Guyz!!!

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah I usually grease the Guy at the station 5-10 bucks. And I usually only will deal with 1 guy. Has worked great as I get a clean car, even after an oil change!

I am not sure when it was made (i'll look it up), but so far no issues mechanically. sometimes it makes wierd nosies when off, but I read that thread and makes sense.

Yeah I am thinking I will get the lockpic. I really dont care about watching the DVD but it sucks for the passenger not to get to watch it. I love the fact that no splicing was involved (I watched the install video today, SWEET!). And the fact i do some trailiering, to get the rear camera view.

The bluetooth is not that big of a deal, as I am using a Motorola T505 to go through the FM radio and works pretty well. I am getting ready to get staioned (US Navy) in Virginia and am thinking about switching to Verizion so I can use the minutes with OnStar.

But great forum guys, again appriciate the feedback, and see you ot there on the road!

Vince.

P.S.

Jet1...

Recognize the sticker on the right hand rear window??

Last edited by Cygnus9th; 03-09-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

You do have to splice the Camera wire if you want that function.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:32 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default I find the back up camera slightly disorienting...

except when I'm towing aircraft, it makes the hook up so easy it should be a standard item sold with the tow package!
can't really make out the window stickers i have no photo edit skillz!

Last edited by jet1; 03-10-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Enthusiast

heh heh,

This might make it a little easier for you....

Old 03-10-2009, 08:12 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default heh...

I was at Mirmar---in 1973....nothing better than roaring out over UCSD towards the ocean in an F-4!

Quick Reply: Software Update and other questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands