Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   Thermostat replacement - operating temperature (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/thermostat-replacement-operating-temperature-30210/)

IslandCre8tion 02-21-2015 08:47 AM

Thermostat replacement - operating temperature

How long does it take for your tahoe/yukon to get to operating temperature? it's take mine close to 30+ minutes, which i think is way too long, regardless of it being the dead of winter. My other vehicles are at operating temperature in under 10 minutes.

i have to do a coolant change anyway. So while i'm in there i might swap the thermostat. But, i don't want to swap a perfectly working part if it's not necessary. I know it's "preventative", but it's nothing i can't handle later. So it can wait if possible.

evois 02-23-2015 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by IslandCre8tion (Post 255779)
How long does it take for your tahoe/yukon to get to operating temperature? it's take mine close to 15-20 minutes, which i think is way too long, regardless of it being the dead of winter. i have to do a coolant change anyway. So while i'm in there i might swap the thermostat. But, i don't want to swap a perfectly working part if it's not necessary. I know it's "preventative", but it's nothing i can't handle later. So it can wait if possible.

Thermostat of the GM trio last long. I think the only thing that was replaced in mine was the water pump at 80k miles. I traded mine at 195k miles with no issues.

IslandCre8tion 02-25-2015 03:48 PM

Re: Thermostat replacement - operating temperature

I replaced the thermostat when i did the coolant change and i got the same results... So i guess in the winter it takes close to 30+ minutes for our engines to reach operating temperature. And even then it may take much longer depending on it switching back and forth to Hybrid mode

Hillbilly_Hybrid 02-25-2015 05:53 PM

Re: Thermostat replacement - operating temperature

They will go into V4 at medium engine coolant temperatures. With a SUV front and rear heater ON the engine waste heat just about keeps up with the cabin heaters cooling the water.