Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   Volant Air Filter System For Tahoe Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/volant-air-filter-system-tahoe-hybrid-22742/)

kklein 09-28-2009 04:11 PM

Volant Air Filter System For Tahoe Hybrid

Has anyone installed the Volant air filter system in their Hybrid? If so, what changes where noted?
Kind Regards Ken

robmck 09-29-2009 06:20 AM

Re: Volant Air Filter System For Tahoe Hybrid

Ken ..

It's a question I've been asking myself, as it seems 6.0 gets extra HP with the CAI.

I swapped out the normal air filter for a Green Filter as a start.

I have to say getting the filter cover off as it sits right next to the Hybrid box was very fiddly. Don't want to drop a screw.

I immediately noticed the engine appeared to rev better, but have not had enough time behind the wheel to really check on any improvements.

My Hybrid has been at the dealer for coming on for three months waiting for parts.

Hope to get back behind the wheel next week, and will report back.

Rob

Guss 09-29-2009 10:53 AM

KKien,
Whats a Volant air filter system pls?

CPMS 09-29-2009 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Guss (Post 211560)
KKien,
Whats a Volant air filter system pls?

Word I get from a friend of mine (ex-Ford engineer who actually designed air boxes) is that CAI's only add HP if they are true cold air intakes (i.e. get air from outside the engine compartment). Results vary from vehicle to vehicle depending on the stock intake design. That said, Volant's design is supposed to be one of the best, I think you need the one with the snorkel that pulls air from the lower part of the front end. You'll need to check with Volant but the kits I've seen may not be usable with our Hybrids because of the reworked front fascia.

fjungman 09-30-2009 11:19 AM

OK, not totally true. Gains in HP across the board would be from colder air, which is more dense, which allows more fuel and air into the cylinders, which makes more power. So he is right about that.
The design of the intake, tract and filter reduce restriction, which reduces pumping losses and improve power, but only when the engine is pulling a lot of air, which is then limited by the intake path. So, even without cold air, less restriction = more high end HP.
This is of little use to us, as our engines don't really get much above 2,000rpm. The cold air induction would help, but the added air also needs added fuel... :)
Overall, maybe the reduced restriction would add 0.1 or 0.2MPGs for most of us and 6MPG for Hypermile Ken :D

Hillbilly_Hybrid 09-30-2009 11:31 AM

These things usually do work a little better. Two things to consider. Cost versus a very small performance improvement.

Snow intrusion... Factory systems are tested for driving across the country following a semi blowing snow up off the road. Where it gets the air from may plug the filter.

Hillbilly_Hybrid 09-30-2009 11:35 AM

Forgot to mention #2.

Water Fording... every now and then you might need to drive through water that is more than ankle deep.

There are OEM tests for this too.

fjungman 09-30-2009 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid (Post 211668)
Forgot to mention #2.

Water Fording... every now and then you might need to drive through water that is more than ankle deep.

There are OEM tests for this too.

Yes, and water into the intake is instant (and very expensive) death to an engine. That is why most of these now have the air filter high-up under the hood.

kklein 09-30-2009 09:16 PM

Thanks for all the input everyone,
I remember from my teenage 1/4 mile days that increased airflow hot or cold did increase performance, although very little for the cost. Just trying to think of what benifical improvements could be made to increase that almighty hypermile.
Kind Regards Ken