What Mileage are you really getting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What Mileage are you really getting?

Glenn,
Get to a dealer that has a new one on his lot and go for a nice long test drive. Get it up to temp, drive around some sidestreets and baby it. See what it is like in all-electric and when it is in V4 and V8. See when it is giving you 99mpg, when it is over 20mpg and when it is under 14mpg (all instant). See if you can feel the switch from electric to gas and back. Get a feel for a new one that is doing it right, then drive yours and see if it is the same or not.
You should see the instant meter in your giving you readings in the 20s most of the time you are not accelerating, 99mpg any time you feel you are coasting or deaccelerating and light accel should get you V4 if you are already moving along above maybe 35mph. If you leave a standstill on flat or very slight grade, you should be auto-stop up to 30mph. A lot of times, the engine will jump on at 12mph if you are in too hard or turning.
Hope this gets you started...

Old 07-06-2010, 03:42 PM
Enthusiast

Yes - it will run in electric when going slow - in smooth parking lots - etc. (will not do it when cold)

Have yet to get it above low 20's before gas kicks in.

Is there any way to tell the state of the battery charge?

Originally Posted by Canuck
Will it run on electric only when you are going slow?

Old 07-06-2010, 04:07 PM
FLY NAVY!

Originally Posted by GABarber
Yes - it will run in electric when going slow - in smooth parking lots - etc. (will not do it when cold)

Have yet to get it above low 20's before gas kicks in.

Is there any way to tell the state of the battery charge?
for the 300 v under the rear seat...no. for the 12 v in the engine compartment just scroll through the gauges you should see an ave of 13 or so.
FIND a GM dealer with a TRAINED mec, do not go to someone who doesn't know the car.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It should get to exactly 30mph on a flat road, or even a slight grade. You should be able to find a downgrade. The 20mph to 30mph area is easiest to accel through. Now, NiCad weren't meant to sit for two years unused. So, there could be some conditioning needed to get them back in shape. Get some mileage on it. If it doesn't get better, bring it in for service. There is an 8/100k warranty on the 300v pack.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fjungman
Now, NiCad weren't meant to sit for two years unused.
Actually, they are NiMH (nickel-metal hydride).

Old 07-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Enthusiast

I can find a GM dealer who says they have someone who has been through a course on it. They also say they don't get much experience - nor do that have any special equipment such as that which can test the state of the battery.

I don't know how to find a GMC Dealer who has somebody both well trained and experienced.

Any suggestions in Southern Calfornia - preferably Orange County.

Originally Posted by jet1
for the 300 v under the rear seat...no. for the 12 v in the engine compartment just scroll through the gauges you should see an ave of 13 or so.
FIND a GM dealer with a TRAINED mec, do not go to someone who doesn't know the car.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Enthusiast

I'll have to find a dealer around here with one. They are quite scarce right now.

Last night I tried going up and down my block - which is level - in the battery mode to see how fast I could get it up to. I am extremely limited in acceleration as it jumps into engine mode quite easily - this limits me to about 22 mph on a single block. Else where Ive never been able to get it up above 25 before shifting to engine.

Last night after several trips up and down the block on battery - it refused to drop into battery mode. I am guessing that the battery level was too low. About how far should this vehicle be able to travel on battery?

Originally Posted by fjungman
Glenn,
Get to a dealer that has a new one on his lot and go for a nice long test drive. Get it up to temp, drive around some sidestreets and baby it. See what it is like in all-electric and when it is in V4 and V8. See when it is giving you 99mpg, when it is over 20mpg and when it is under 14mpg (all instant). See if you can feel the switch from electric to gas and back. Get a feel for a new one that is doing it right, then drive yours and see if it is the same or not.
You should see the instant meter in your giving you readings in the 20s most of the time you are not accelerating, 99mpg any time you feel you are coasting or deaccelerating and light accel should get you V4 if you are already moving along above maybe 35mph. If you leave a standstill on flat or very slight grade, you should be auto-stop up to 30mph. A lot of times, the engine will jump on at 12mph if you are in too hard or turning.
Hope this gets you started...

Old 07-08-2010, 03:45 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default do you have the latest software install?

mine will go to 30 easily and stay there without much effort. You do have to accelerate gingerly but in heavy stop and go traffic with the engine warm I have driven from my office to my home which is 5 miles almost exclusively on EV. Mine changed when they DL'ed the latest software revision and was easier to get into both 4v and ev only modes after that.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: do you have the latest software install?

I certainly can't get much above 20 in ev in even the best of conditions - usually it tries to jump out about 15-18mph.

What year is your hybrid and when did you get the update that changed the it's behavior?

I am concerned that this car has not had much attention and is overdue for a software update. When I talked to the dealer service rep about this he said they don't do upgrades unless there is a specific user issue being addressed because it can create as well as correct issues (?..?).

Do you know if there is there any way I can find out myself what version of software(firmware) I have and what updates may be available?

Originally Posted by jet1
mine will go to 30 easily and stay there without much effort. You do have to accelerate gingerly but in heavy stop and go traffic with the engine warm I have driven from my office to my home which is 5 miles almost exclusively on EV. Mine changed when they DL'ed the latest software revision and was easier to get into both 4v and ev only modes after that.

Last edited by GABarber; 07-08-2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: revised wording
Old 07-08-2010, 08:21 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default 2008 yukon

any dealer worth going to should have trained mech. just call around and ask if they sell the hybrid, they have to have a fact trained mech to be able to sell them. where are you i have some contacts esp on the west coast who can find a good place for service. as to doing it yourself forget it it requires specialized equip and training just to get to the computer side

Quick Reply: What Mileage are you really getting?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands