Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH I-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/)
-   -   CVT Code p1886 - Car Dead (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/cvt-code-p1886-car-dead-27746/)

jeffm 04-24-2012 07:38 PM

CVT Code p1886 - Car Dead

Hi all - I have a 2003 HCH with 174K miles. It's been a great car except for the CVT judder - I missed the extended warranty by a couple thousand miles. The car is well maintained and I change the CVT fluid every 10K miles. Last week I stopped the car at the school bus stop and the transmission would not re-engage. Shift to D, the green light blinks, and no movement. ScanGauge says p1886 - "Shift Timing Solenoid". Is the CVT finally dead? Where is this solenoid - I can't find a picture anywhere. Is this a DIY fix? If not, anyone know of a good shop in Northern VA that has worked on these CVTs? Many thanks - Jeff

Gairwyn 04-24-2012 10:13 PM

Re: CVT Code p1886 - Car Dead

I tried googling that P1886 for Honda civic, and most of the links say:

P1886 CVT Driven Pulley Speed Sensor Circuit

One procedure was for the Honda Jazz, which has a CVT. Going through the steps in the diagnostics, they were checking for a short or open in the circuit, etc. Sometimes you can find a picture of the part on a website like Bernardi Honda parts or Majestic Honda parts.

The CVT probably isn't dead, but it may have an electrical problem with this sensor circuit.

The service manual lists P1886 as CVT output shaft (driven pulley) speed sensor.

Neil 05-09-2012 04:57 AM

Re: CVT Code p1886 - Car Dead

Originally Posted by jeffm (Post 241987)
... If not, anyone know of a good shop in Northern VA that has worked on these CVTs? Many thanks - Jeff

The dealer is the best bet for the CVT. It's a complicated technology, and just not enough of them around to make it profitable for an independent shop to get the training and specialized tools.