Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH I-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/)
-   -   Stupid Question...PRNDSL (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/stupid-question-prndsl-12689/)

jimbren 03-16-2007 03:00 PM

Stupid Question...PRNDSL

I just bought an 03 Civic Hybrid that didn't come with the owner's manual. I have one on order, but I'm hoping that someone can answer what I think is probably a very stupid question.

It's an automatic and I'm not sure what the "S" in PRNDSL is.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

jimbo

gadgetguy 03-16-2007 05:32 PM

Re: Stupid Question...PRNDSL

second

AshenGrey 03-17-2007 06:50 AM

I always thought "S" was for "Sport" since it has a little more low-end "oomph" and it disables the idle-stop (eliminating the launch delay from a stopped position). The CVT doesn't really have gears in the traditional sense. I'm not an engineer, so I could be totally wrong.

lakedude 03-17-2007 10:52 PM

I also always thought it was for "Sport Mode" for the reasons Ashen indicated.

EDIT:

Whoops!!

I stand corrected. I looked it up in the owners manual and it says:

Second (S)-Selecting Second shifts the transmission into a lower range of ratios for better acceleration and increased engine braking. Use Second when you are going down a steep hill or in stop and go driving.

Low (L)-To shift to Low press the release button on the front of the shift lever. Use Low to get more power when climbing and for maximum engine braking...

jimbren 03-20-2007 08:21 AM

Thanks very much for all the responses!

jimbo

livvie 03-21-2007 07:45 AM

It's not sport. It is second. As in second set of gear ratios (lower gears, which gives it a sporty feel).

zimbop 03-21-2007 10:16 PM

The "S" is for "Sucks more gas" as some have discovered by getting terrible mileage on a trip, only to discover at the end they'd been in "S" the whole time by accident.

livvie 03-22-2007 08:01 AM

I use S all the time to slow the car down faster and get a better charge.

That-Guy 01-14-2012 02:29 PM

Or you guys could get an SD455 Big Block Trans-Am and leave it in drive.... No but actually thanks for the help my wife drives one of those little things.

Hot_Georgia_2004 01-23-2012 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by That-Guy (Post 240432)
Or you guys could get an SD455 Big Block Trans-Am and leave it in drive....

... And get 9MPG? No thank you. I don't need a race car to prove my fecundity.

My family of 5 goes to the Blue Ridge mountains a couple times a month. We go to a place near the very top of a high ridge, right along the side of a mountain on a single lane road which is extremely steep, much steeper than any public road.

I put the car in "s" which keeps the engine reved up to about 3K rpm so it pulls the hills just fine, and "L" for a few steeper segments.

I'm not sure what the official name of "S" is but it's function prevents the lower ratios from engaging. Calling it "second" is fine with me.

Like any other car, regular driving in 2nd gear or S will cause your MPG to suffer.