HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

06 Civic Hybrid shuts down while driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 04:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 06 Civic Hybrid shuts down while driving

There are 2 temp sensors. One at bottom of radiator, and the other at the top by thermostat

When I started getting the temp sensor engine codes, I replaced a corroded connector but codes still came back. Then I decided to change both sensors And the thermostat because I was told it could be any of those causing the codes, and I didn't want to keep replacing/draining/bleeding fluid and troubleshooting

Codes are gone for good

By the way, the top temp sensor and thermostat are a 'nightmare'. I am the most patient guy in the world and I could not believe how 'un-servicable' this was.

I literally changed the top sensor 'by feel' because its impossible to see where its at. And to get to the thermostat you have to take like 6-7 hoses off, some which were almost impossible to remove. The service manual was completely oversimplified and I had to fill in the blanks

Old 10-24-2015, 09:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip. I was told by Honda that it was the sensor under the radiator so its going to be a pain to get to and to drain the coolant. Hopefully that fixes the code.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Colematthew82
Got my Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD II OBD2 Scanner from Amazon this week. Also, bought the App ODB Fusion for $9.99. It has great customizable Dashboards and CEL diagnosis. Able to clear codes after fixes also. I've used it to monitor my engine battery voltage and haven't seen any issues since my car turned off while driving. It was also designed in Gibsonia, PA, 20 min from my hometown.
Cole,

Are you still happy with this solution? A friend with an iphone is looking for guidance.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 03-06-2016, 03:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes. That app is great. You can customize each gauge and read & clear codes. Takes a little bit of getting used to when you want to add guages and customize them but over all it's a solid app.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:52 PM

Thanks. I've been recommending it to iphone users looking for OBDII. I still push Torque Pro though...

Old 09-09-2016, 11:53 AM
Enthusiast

Hi there! I had the same issue whit my HCH II. While driving my HCH II check engine,IMA and 12v battery lights came on. Not to long after that passanger airbag light and steering wheel light came on. My steering was was not working also my radio shutdown, AC, and the power windows. Last thing that turned off was the hole dashboard and the car. I didn't know what to do and I stayed there for about 10 min and then i was able to turn the car on . Everything looks normal and i drive the car for 5 minutes and then the car did the same thing. I took the car to my mechanic. He run a diagnostics to the car and the only code i got was the battery is unbalanced. The 12v battery was ok the alternator and the connection were ok too. According to him the problem is in the hybrid system! The hybrid system overheats and the car shutsdown. That's why after sitting there for awhile giving chance to the hybrid system to cool down I was able to turn it back on and drive it until overheats again. The thing we can't figure out is whitch part of the hybrid system is responsible for the hybrid cooling fan to turn on and off? Is Any body here have the answer to my question? Thanks in advance!!

Old 09-10-2016, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by robert_bg3
Hi there! I had the same issue whit my HCH II. While driving my HCH II check engine,IMA and 12v battery lights came on. Not to long after that passanger airbag light and steering wheel light came on. My steering was was not working also my radio shutdown, AC, and the power windows. Last thing that turned off was the hole dashboard and the car. I didn't know what to do and I stayed there for about 10 min and then i was able to turn the car on . Everything looks normal and i drive the car for 5 minutes and then the car did the same thing. I took the car to my mechanic. He run a diagnostics to the car and the only code i got was the battery is unbalanced. The 12v battery was ok the alternator and the connection were ok too. According to him the problem is in the hybrid system! The hybrid system overheats and the car shutsdown. That's why after sitting there for awhile giving chance to the hybrid system to cool down I was able to turn it back on and drive it until overheats again. The thing we can't figure out is whitch part of the hybrid system is responsible for the hybrid cooling fan to turn on and off? Is Any body here have the answer to my question? Thanks in advance!!
You may have an IMA battery problem, but you likely have something else going on. Get yourself a cheap bluetooth/wifi (android/iphone) reader and software for your phone. The next time you START to experience anomalous behavior, pull over and read codes.

A failure in the IMA cooling system has a code of its own. I suspect you may have an overheating issue with the PCM (Powertrain control module).

Old 03-14-2022, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Colematthew82
I was getting ready to take a drive in my 06 Civic Hybrid this past week and noticed the engine battery light came on when I started it. The check engine and IMA light were also on but this is "normal". I turned off the car and tested the engine battery voltage and it was reading normal. When I started the car with the meter connected the voltage stayed within normal range. The car drove normally but I noticed that the hybrid battery gauge wasn't showing a charge. The last 2 bars disappeared a few miles down the road. While driving at 25MPH the whole car shut down. The engine stopped and all lights on the dash went out. No dome lights and even the 4 way hazard lights were not working. Scared the sh*t out of me! I was lucky enough the coast the car to the side of the road and wave other cars around me. The car battery even read the normal 12.6volts when I put the tester on it. No lose wires that I could see. I tried everything to get the car running for 5min. Then on my 20th attempt the put the key in the ignition all the lights came on and it started. Hybrid battery began to charge also and it ran fine. No engine battery light.

I checked on Honda's recall site and noticed a recall for the same issue I was experiencing. 06-07 Hybrid Stalling 11V-106. I called customer care and they said this recall was performed on my vehicle in 2011. Something to do with the voltage converter failing. I do not remember this being done but I called my local shop and they said I would have to bring it in for a diagnostic to see if that was it.

Has anyone experienced this issue and if so what was the outcome?
It has happened with me on my CIVIC hybrid 2007, I made a left turn crossing the highway and then it just shut off but with little power just to help me pull it over, was scared lot of cars honk at me, I call BCAA to tow my car, I tried many times to turn it on but it just make weird start engine noise like a hummer knocking at the motor, next day when I turn it on, it just turn on very smoothly I could not understand, the hybrid battery was zero and start to charging when I accelerate the pedal.

Old 03-14-2022, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by hersondf
It has happened with me on my CIVIC hybrid 2007, I made a left turn crossing the highway and then it just shut off but with little power just to help me pull it over, was scared lot of cars honk at me, I call BCAA to tow my car, I tried many times to turn it on but it just make weird start engine noise like a hummer knocking at the motor, next day when I turn it on, it just turn on very smoothly I could not understand, the hybrid battery was zero and start to charging when I accelerate the pedal.
12V power loss as evidenced by the empty hybrid battery. If 12V power is lost, the BCM loses memory of the hybrid battery state. It assumes empty until it can begin charging and evaluating performance.

I have had a few 12V batteries in my life behave that way where they wouldn't work at all one moment, and they would work the next, particularly after I bumped/moved them.

If I were you, I would replace the 12V battery.

Old 07-12-2023, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robert_bg3