HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2006 HCH II AC stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 03:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 HCH II AC stopped working

OMFG $140 down the toilet, and I feel every apprehension I've ever had about the dealership is justified.

My car has an intermittent P0420 due to a bad cat. I've confirmed it with rear O2 sensor readings... they're all over the place. Even if I don't have an active CEL, it will show it as a pending code. They said nothing about it. Nothing.

The dealer wants $1,900 installed for a new compressor and clutch. Their price is OVER the list price of the part.

Lastly, I "discovered" the method in the manual that describes how to read DTC with the display. It says I have an open in the thermal protector circuit, which points to either an open circuit (wire break) or a bad climate control unit, which makes sense since the compressor and condenser fans can be made to work manually, but their relays don't get energized.

To have the tech say there were no codes is infuriating. I think I'll take it up with the service manager. I don't feel like I should have to pay for diagnostics that weren't done.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:54 PM

Diagnostic fee: $140
'09 salvage yard compressor with 56K mi on it: $135
1-2/3 oz of "magic" Honda Hybrid compressor oil and clutch armature shims: $65
24 oz of R-134a: $14
Expansion valve: $35
Actual cost of repairs: $389

Capital expenditures:
New manifold gauges, new fittings for the old set and a new can tap: (want a set dedicated to the HCH2 pair): $77
Vacuum Pump: $90
Total: $167

Total cost to get back on the road: $556
Dealer quote: $1,900
Savings: $1,379

Fu(k you, Honda. Just, fu(k you...

Did the work in the AZ sun with temps between 94 and 104°F. The amount of things that had to come out of the engine compartment were shocking. Went for a test drive in 100°F when I was done, and it performed great.

8 hours to swap the compressor and about 6 hours the previous weekend on the expansion valve in 112°F (shot in the dark), so 14 hour total.

EDIT: HUGE effing thank you to Homey. He provided a lot of advice, encouragement and a can-do attitude that's contagious.

Gutted:

Bad compressor OUT!

Last edited by S Keith; 07-12-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Nice Job!! I'm glad you got it running again. Looks like you have great patience. That's great that you got advice/help.

I am stuck on my AC for now. After replacing the condensor, there is still a leak somewhere. Looks like it is coming from the front again. So its either the hoses in the front, or possibly the compressor

Old 07-12-2015, 09:47 AM

Thanks. Me too. I am a stubborn S.O.B., and Homey is even more stubborn and frugal than me, so it was just a matter of time.

I started at about 8:30 am. There were about two hours of errands and breaks. I wrapped it up around 6:30pm - about 8 hours then, and that includes about an hour of research and planning. The worst was the 45 minutes I spent getting the belt back on. Wow. Nothing like the simple things to make you feel completely incompetent.

Doh... just remembered... I need to add about $35 to the total bill and another 6 hours of labor associated with replacing the expansion valve.

I was literally elated when I had all the electrical connections complete and could run the HVAC diagnostics... an no codes returned...

To your leak issue, there is a high pressure relief valve on the compressor. If that blew out, that might be the source of your leak as I think they can stay open. Unfortunately, there are no dyes compatible with the magic compressor oil to assist in leak detection.