Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   Can you guess how far I've gone? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/can-you-guess-how-far-ive-gone-14071/)

Mr. Kite 06-25-2007 08:41 PM

Re: Can you guess how far I've gone?

Originally Posted by 1stpik (Post 130387)
On that note, here's a test I'd like to see:

Get two HCH owners together and reset the trip meters. Then have both drivers run the same highway together, same distance, same speed -- one driver using cruise control, the other using hypermile techniques.

The only rules would be "no drafting" and "no lagging" (hypermiler would have to maintain speed +/- 2 mph -- no driving 25 up hills).

It might be more effort than it's worth, but it would give everyone a definitive number of how much more efficient foot technique is to cruise control. So far the only number I've seen posted is 3 mpg better for no cruise. If someone posted a better number, we all might forsake the c.c.

Unless it's a really long drive, I won't be using cruise control. I was able to do some freeway driving today. It was actually mostly on a toll road where the limit was 70 and minimum 50. A few times I got down to the minimum going up some hills, but I made sure I never got below 50. I was usually in the mid 50s, but I occasionally got up to the upper 50s. Anyway, my FE was 72.2 mpg over 28.9 miles.

Also, I do not FAS in this kind of driving. I have found that it is very harsh when re-engaging the transmission at higher speeds in the Honda Civic Hybrid.

Harold 06-26-2007 08:09 AM

John, can you do the same in the opposite direction? :omg:

Mr. Kite 06-26-2007 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Harold (Post 131364)
John, can you do the same in the opposite direction? :omg:

I will see. That last trip was to the airport, where the car is currently parked. I'll get back around midnight tomorrow and will report my return FE here.

Mr. Kite 06-28-2007 12:33 PM

OK. As I previously posted, my trip to the airport was 72.2 mpg over 28.9 miles. When I left my house, the car was almost fully warmed up and the temperature was about 90F. For the return drive, it was between 1 and 1:30AM this morning and the temperature was 62F. I managed 68.9 mpg for this return trip, which was 27.3 miles. The trip there was longer because of the way the road loops at the airport. The only times I turned the engine off were at the booth to pay for parking and in my neighborhood. Again, I didn't use cruise.

If the car was warmed up to begin with and the ambient temperature was higher, I would have expected better fuel economy from the return trip. The airport is a bit more than 100' higher in elevation. Also, my car seemed to be very charge happy for the return drive. At one point, I had an SOC of 8/8. I arrived home with 7/8.

Harold 06-28-2007 01:22 PM

I thought there must have been some down hill on the way to the airport, but guess not by your reture #. Those are great #'s. Boy do I have a long way to go! I just got back from 150 mile drive and managed only 50.9 mpg . Anyway great driving Mr. Kite and thanks for the return reply.:cry: