Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   Crappy Stock Tires (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/crappy-stock-tires-15167/)

Gobbles 09-04-2007 12:03 PM

Crappy Stock Tires

Can't believe how fast the stock tires on my 2006 HCH are wearing. I recently purchased a complete set of tires for both my 2002 subaru and my 1997 acura. This got me to look at my tires on my HCH to see how much tread life is left. After 15K miles the tread is down to about 3/16". Another 5K and I'll be buying new tires for the HCH.

Inigo Montoya 09-04-2007 01:15 PM

Re: Crappy Stock Tires

i'm at 32k miles and already i'm seeing threads on my Dunlops.

kristian 09-04-2007 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gobbles (Post 141654)
Can't believe how fast the stock tires on my 2006 HCH are wearing. I recently purchased a complete set of tires for both my 2002 subaru and my 1997 acura. This got me to look at my tires on my HCH to see how much tread life is left. After 15K miles the tread is down to about 3/16". Another 5K and I'll be buying new tires for the HCH.

What pressure do you run? Is the tread wear even, or more worn on either the sides or in the middle? Have you ever had your alignment checked?

I've only got about 9k on my HCH, but I was thinking the other day how good the tires look. The tires on my Subaru were toast by 15k, but I found out that my alignment was off. I also drove a lot harder on them, and I wasn't as fastidious about keeping the pressure high.

noflash 09-04-2007 02:29 PM

Eek! I better check mine.

Inigo Montoya 09-04-2007 05:11 PM

I've had my alignment checked at 15k and they said all was well. I usually run the tires at 36 PSI. The wear is on the inside edge of one of the tires. I rotate them every oil change so it is odd to see just one doing this. I'm hoping to get a new one on Honda's dime.

JaBill 09-04-2007 06:00 PM

We have 36,000 on our original Bridgestones (2005 HCH) and plenty of tread left - say 15-20k. On the other hand, we had two flats in less than a week while on a trip. Wear may have a lot to do with your typical drive. We rarely get above 50 mph on our commute.

I am not happy that the Bridgestones are only B B rated. But they are wearing well.

giantquesadilla 09-04-2007 06:37 PM

I'm hoping to get a new one on Honda's dime.
It sounds like your doing everything right. If you complain to Honda of America enough, you may be able to..
Good luck!

wick1ert 09-05-2007 05:52 AM

I would have to agree that wear on the inside of just one tire is pretty odd. I had a 96 Maxima (I think) that had alignment problems everytime you hit a big bump (it seemed). If only they could fit that kind of power, into a car that gets the MPG of the HCH.....

I purchased the NTB (Tire Kingdom & Someone else also honor) 5 yr alignment warranty. I got it right when I got my 03 Civic and I used it atleast 1 or 2 times a year. Needless to say, it definitely paid for itself. I've had people tell me I was crazy for doing the alignment plan, but I beg to differ. The reason I got the 5 yr, was that I planned on having the 03 for more than 2 years! It is also transferrable to another car if you get rid of the one you owned when purchased. They always ask me why I'm getting it checked, and I usually say "just drove through tons of construction for awhile" or "going on a long trip and want to make sure they are OK".

Regardless, stock tires are typically the lower thread life tires. I do like the ride on the ones on the HCH, however.

jeffreykime 09-05-2007 01:46 PM

I had to replace my stock tires at 25K. I put two new front tires on and am holding out till closer to winter to replace the back two. All four were totally bald. I tried talking to Honda and realized that it is mentioned in a bunch of places that the stock tires come with NO tread life guarantee. I was really bummed about that. I've heard from one tire dealer that they don't even sell Dunlop (that's what I had) tires anymore because they were of such poor quality. I wish Honda did a little better on this one.

jokah 10-16-2007 12:23 PM

Replaced my stock tires at just over 30k miles. Here's hoping the Yokohama replacements last longer.