Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   Factory Oil Grade (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/factory-oil-grade-9317/)

UncleO 08-16-2006 07:41 AM

Factory Oil Grade

Anyone knows?

The grade of the oil used in a brand new HCHII rolling off the factory?

Tulip 08-16-2006 08:54 AM

Re: Factory Oil Grade

A good question to which a number of us would like to know the answer. Who makes it, what viscosity and what additives. It should not be a major commercial secret but nobody has yet learned it!

EZ2beGreen 08-16-2006 10:33 AM

There are companies that analyze your used motor oil, just send them a sample and they will send you back a highly detailed analysis.

My highly uneducated guess is that the so called "break in oil" is very similar to the the 0w20 motor oil you can buy over the parts counter of any Honda dealership, perhaps with a higher level of "lubricants and protectants."

Tulip 08-16-2006 10:44 AM

Yes Yes. But what is the truth and why should n't we know it? Surely someone who reads this site can find a definitive answer! No more guesses.

EZ2beGreen 08-16-2006 10:55 AM

Check Mark's info (s/n Green and Blue) in this thread, lots of info there!

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...+OIL+SYNTHETIC

Anahymbrid 08-16-2006 09:28 PM

Incidentally, I'm now at about 300 miles since I did my first oil change. I filled it with Mobil 1 instead of the Honda oil. I've seen no change in MPG so far.

bernball 08-17-2006 03:59 PM

I'm at a Honda dealership now getting my HCHII serviced (recall) and I looked at the oil that they sell for the HCHII. It is a blended oil (synthetic and petroleum). IMHO it isn't important to know what the break-in oil is unless it is just out of curiosity. Has anyone else found any 0W-20 oils other than Honda and Mobile-1?

funkybrunk 08-17-2006 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by bernball
I'm at a Honda dealership now getting my HCHII serviced (recall) and I looked at the oil that they sell for the HCHII. It is a blended oil (synthetic and petroleum). IMHO it isn't important to know what the break-in oil is unless it is just out of curiosity. Has anyone else found any 0W-20 oils other than Honda and Mobile-1?

Is there a recall? I just bought my HCHII last week, so I'm not up on everything. I'm taking it in to the dealership on monday for an alarm and bass system install. Maybe I get a recall repair while it is there.

Anahymbrid 08-17-2006 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by funkybrunk
Is there a recall?

Only thing I'm aware of is the correction for the "62 mile" bug... a problem where the MPG meters reset every 62 miles.

blinkard 08-18-2006 07:13 AM

We took our HCH2 in to the dealer (Bay Ridge in Brooklyn) on Wednesday for its first oil change, and they put in 5W20 without telling us. I called the service manager and when he got back to me, he said that there's a shortage of 0W20 from Honda and he doesn't know how long it will take. (He did apologize that no one asked us if the substitution is okay.)

Honda does say you can use 5W20, and it's still warm enough here that I'm not in a panic, but as soon as they've got the 0W20 in, I'll get it changed.