HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Got the latest June '10 software update!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Got the latest June '10 software update!

Another update...in regards to SoC accuracy being "more accurate".

I can say that this is not the case with my vehicle. My car has now exhibited three times where I parked the car with 6-7 bars of charge. Then returned a either a few hours later or overnight, and I watch the gauge drop suddenly to 2 bars within seconds after starting. Then while driving, the charge will charge up to 4-5 bars over 5-10 miles, then go suddenly jump to full.

I would say that my charge indicator is less accurate than before.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Enthusiast

Iridium,

That was my exact symptom. I was able to demonstrate this to the shop foreman at Honda when we went for a test drive together.

A new battery made this completely go away.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smurf
Iridium,

That was my exact symptom. I was able to demonstrate this to the shop foreman at Honda when we went for a test drive together.

what this post software update?

I second call to honda (doesn't) care said they would not escalate for me.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smurf
Iridium,

Same symptoms, same solution, same result. ( pre-software update- and not performed to the best of my knowledge)

Last edited by rysa4; 08-30-2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: added information to my post
Old 08-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rysa4
Same symptoms, same solution, same result. ( pre-software update- and not performed to the best of my knowledge)
The problem I am having now post software update is because Honda says this behavior is normal, the dealership is not doing anything about it.

The problem with saying this behavior is normal is that without a battery test or a battery temperature indicator, how do you identify symptoms towards a bad battery versus normal operating procedure where they limit assist due to excessive heat in the pack?

I contest that because my State of Charge indicator remains inaccurate contrary to the recall letter, that I need additional diagnostics on my vehicle beyond a service adviser sticking his head in the car and saying sorry, the IMA light isn't on. Honda care(less) is refusing to escalate the issue at this point when I pressed the issue.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Enthusiast

Iridium,

Open a customer service case with American Honda. "Before" you call them, ask your Honda dealer to give you the ticket number and the name of the shop foreman, and inform them that you are calling American Honda.

When you call American Honda press the issue as a "safety" issue as you intermittently have a sudden and unexpected loss of power due to the constant re-cals. These can cause an accident if it happens when you are pulling out into busy traffic. If you get in a wreck and you have a record that Honda refused to fix this problem after you identified it, then you have grounds for a lawsuit....

What Honda calls a voluntary software update "should" be a recall because it "is" a safety issue to have a vehicle that does re-cals all the time...

Old 09-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Enthusiast

I got the SW updates done 3 weeks ago. 2006 with 70K miles and I have not had any prior SW updates that I am aware of.

My experience has been positive so far. Haven't had a recal happen yet, and my MPG went from 43 to 45 (verified over 3 tanks of gas), even with heavy A/C use during the very hot weather in so. cal a week ago. Not sure why it would improve. I drive 90%+ highway, so not sure if the change is more favorable for that type of driving. Transmission is also noticeably smoother when starting quickly from stop or low speed.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Gah two recal's almost back to back this week so far. Both times were in conditions that have triggered recal's in the past (first one after a weekend of very short drives and a second one in wet conditions). That being said the recal's seem shallower than in the past as in it seems to get back to full charge quicker (still the sample size is very small). Filled up 2 days ago so should have a full tank on this new software by the end of the month.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast

I got the software update a few weeks ago. I started having at least daily discharges of the IMA battery in early June even in cooler temperatures and without AC. I hoped that the software update will solve the IMA problems but the 1-3x discharges have continued. If anything, the software update has made it worse because the engine recharge kicks in when it reaches 2 or 3 bars which means longer periods of sluggish acceleration.

I took it to my Honda dealer and they said that the IMA system checked out fine and they couldn't do anything. I repeatedly said that there is a problem despite their equipment saying it was fine, and that they needed to drive my car for a few days. I filed a complaint with Honda and their response was that I had to go back to the dealer and have them test drive it as I requested. I feel like I'm getting the run around. I'm going to see if the dealer will test drive my Honda and then consider the next step.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
It could be your recalibrations are continuing as they were before the update. At least in my Canadian notice, there's the following:

I've got a hunch Honda's idea of "more accuracy" is to display higher state-of-charge than previous, for the same actual levels. So, the state-of-charge may not have changed (much), and the recals are happening at the same threshold, but the display is showing higher.

FWIW, we got the update mid-week, and I finally got a bit of driving in today. I'm not seeing a lot of difference, maybe:

1. Displayed state-of-charge tends to be higher.

2. Number of assist bars a bit lower, and more instances of gentle acceleration resulting in no assist bars.

3. More recal behaviors at 2~3 bars (per your observation).

Mileage/performance does not seem to be suffering, so I would give the update a cautious thumbs-up. My one concern is that at least part of the software revisions might be aimed at suppressing IMA lights going on, with borderline ailing batteries. Just a paranoid hunch.
So are you saying that Honda's software update is exaggerating the actual state of charge? I would call that deliberate deception.

Quick Reply: Got the latest June '10 software update!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands