Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   How can recharge occur going uphill w/6 bars? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/how-can-recharge-occur-going-uphill-w-6-bars-21591/)

stevenvillatoro 04-25-2009 11:02 PM

How can recharge occur going uphill w/6 bars?

It makes no sense. My battery SOC was high – at 6 bars – and I was going uphill on a continuous grade at about 35+ MPH. I looked at my battery gauge expecting to see substantial battery assist, but was surprised and perplexed to notice that just the opposite was happening: I was charging the batteries while accelerating uphill. I rechecked my gauge, in disbelief. The SOC was about 2/3 full – I recounted the 6 bars to see if I was having a forced regen. The charging fluctuated slightly but continued to charge the batteries all the way to the crest of the hill and beyond. Can anyone tell me why/how I could get battery charging to occur in a non-forced regen mode while going uphill? Thanks!

KevinsTop 04-26-2009 04:45 AM

Re: How can recharge occur going uphill w/6 bars?

its called hidden regen. info here + here

ks

Harold 04-26-2009 08:56 AM

Yes this will happen when not pushing hard or in 2nd. and not over working the ICE. I do this all the time when no traffic behind. Its not so much hidden as you can see the regen bars.

stevenvillatoro 04-26-2009 10:21 AM

Thanks, guys. Now I am older and momentarily wiser!

Gairwyn 04-26-2009 07:46 PM

I've noticed that phenomenon on a certain street near my home. It's a curvy road, with a slight uphill incline, with about a 30-35 mph speed limit. Every time I travel up that street I notice that the mpgs are pegged at 120 and the battery is recharging.

Harold 04-27-2009 07:39 AM

Must be down hill and or Mon.and really early? <grin>Are you sure they are grn. bars? If going up hill with some throttle you should not show mpg pegged? But then stranger things have happened! Hal

stevenvillatoro 04-27-2009 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Harold (Post 201999)
Must be down hill and or Mon.and really early? <grin>Are you sure they are grn. bars? If going up hill with some throttle you should not show mpg pegged? But then stranger things have happened! Hal

Funny, Harold. Yes, I am sure they are GREEN bars. Yesterday on the same road I had the same experience. Same SoC, same speed. The incline of the street is probably near 10 percent – fairly steep. Traveling at about 35 MPH, I had GREEN bars for the duration of the hill – about two blocks. Let's just say my HCHII is... gifted, I guess.

Harold 04-27-2009 09:46 AM

Its OK to have regen going up hill with low throttle setting, but to show the mpg gauge pegged? I don't think so! It would have to be in EV mode to show this, and I suppose that is possible for a short distance up the hill!, but not all the way up the hill.Hal

stevenvillatoro 04-27-2009 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Harold (Post 202012)
Its OK to have regen going up hill with low throttle setting, but to show the mpg gauge pegged? I don't think so! It would have to be in EV mode to show this, and I suppose that is possible for a short distance up the hill!, but not all the way up the hill.Hal

No, the MPG gauge was not pegged – not even close (unfortunately).

Harold 04-27-2009 01:50 PM

I was referring to Gairwyn's post where he said his mpg was pegged at 120. Hal