HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

iFCD, shmiFCD

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Rookie Enthusiast
Default Re: iFCD, shmiFCD

Originally Posted by msantos
...shifting down to "S" is strategic in nature and meant to represent the best of the available "all bad" options. You neither ride the S for very long nor do you use it in every circumstance, otherwise you'll step outside the optimal FE envelope. One thing to remember when using the S though, you still strive for the lowest RPMS possible as well as avoiding the assist - press the throttle too hard and the assist comes on anyway - which is not optimal any longer.

Cheers;

MSantos

thanks again-- funny, having driven manual trans most of my life, I'm used to using the gears to optimize FE (w. lowest reasonable RPM). So I gotta practice more in the HCH II. But in my initial attempts, I could achieve as good or better MPG by keeping in D mode and minimizing acceleration (~1-2 bars max Assist; 'pulsing' into a higher gear ASAP). Doesn't this achieve the same thing? Guess it's not controlling the transmission as much as I would on a manual, though.

Philip

Old 07-15-2008, 11:23 PM
F**k ExxonMobil

Originally Posted by msantos
Nice showing Matt. But guess what?

It gets better as you get better at it as well. Add a few more tricks and it is quite possible to crank out 70-90 MPG (US) city-only commute segments. And if you get many of these... well... you get the point

Cheers;

MSantos
thanks. its true. so far, this tank is even better than the last. it only took me two years to figure out that the assist/regen gauge should be my primary reference gauge.
and the car interacts with me, too. sometimes i'll be driving along, and one bar of regen will pop up, so i press the accelerator ever so slightly to remove it, and the ifcd needle starts to plummet, and i'm like, "ok, you want a little regen". i back off the accelerator, the regen bar recurs, and the ifcd goes back up. i'm learning how to make her happy. if only i had learned that with my ex-wife.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by 06hch2
... sometimes i'll be driving along, and one bar of regen will pop up, so i press the accelerator ever so slightly to remove it, and the ifcd needle starts to plummet, and i'm like, "ok, you want a little regen". i back off the accelerator, the regen bar recurs, and the ifcd goes back up. i'm learning how to make her happy. if only i had learned that with my ex-wife.
WOW, Matt. You just managed to kick it into high LOD mode. Nice showing and you are definitely tuning into her

Next step is to make sure you get a sub-1 bar high LOD regen while on a steady state driving. The goal is to charge the pack one tiny bit at the time (the smaller the better) while keeping off the assist at the same time. I bet that if you keep going this way, you'll be able to go for weeks without falling victim to a single forced regen.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 07-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Hybrid Evangelist
Question "Riding the pack"

Scenario:
Driving home from work, slight downhill that turns into flat for about mile. Going down the slope I hold the throttle so that iFCD is 100 and the SOC is 0 (no assist, no regen). When I reach the bottom as my speed decreases, I increase throttle steadily until 4 bars of assist show, iFCD still at 100. I can maintain this state for most of the mile of flat with a slowly decreasing MPH. Since I ALWAYS hit three or four traffic signals before I get to the freeway, the batteries get recharged during brking regen.

When I do this I get improved mileage. Is this considered "Riding the Pack?"

Old 07-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: "Riding the pack"

Originally Posted by mdarmistead
When I do this I get improved mileage. Is this considered "Riding the Pack?"
Indeed, you do get improved mileage but the question afterwards becomes... does that segment's mileage actually reflect what you are going to get for your tank mileage?

...And more often than not the answer is no, because at the end of a good ev-glide or pack ride, there's an ugly forced regen waiting for you at some point and that alone will erode all the gains from your last segment.

But if at the end of a long ev-glide you get another long downward sloping descent then why not do it, heh? It is certainly better than filling the pack and then be forced to go down-hill on brakes alone.

For myself, I only do an EV-Glide as a reward for doing good in my SoC management or to "shoot for the moon" at the end of my commute... but still I try to not drain the pack much below 6 bars because then I'll pay for it all the very next morning.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 07-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Hybrid Evangelist

When I do the EV glide I rarely use the pack down to 6 bars. I can usually recoup the energy over the next few miles because there are so many lights and quite a bit of traffic. My segment mileages fall pretty much in line with my tank averages.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands