HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Like To Buy Hybrid Lic. Plate Frame; Where?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 02:50 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: Like To Buy Hybrid Lic. Plate Frame; Where?

Originally Posted by tbaleno
Definiately look into the local laws. Also, the mpg license plates sometimes get you honked at because they tend to agrivate people when they realize your mpg is so far higher than theirs.
Yeau; thats why I am ordering two-plate frames, one (IGET50MPG.YOU?) and the other (GOGREEN.GOHYBRID).

Just in case it gets to crazy, I'll have to try it and see how it goes.

Terry

Old 09-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Like To Buy Hybrid Lic. Plate Frame; Where?

Terry,

You didn't know that because it is a lie.

Rick
Austin, TX

Old 09-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Like To Buy Hybrid Lic. Plate Frame; Where?

Thanks for killing the hoax, Rick. I saw plenty of frames in '97 (last visit), and there's no reason on earth to outlaw them.

Now if only Texas would follow the lead of every other Southern state (except Va.) and do away with the front license plate . . .

Old 09-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It's not exactly a lie. The law in TX as I understand it is you cannot obstruct any of the letters on the plate, even if only minimally. That is why the Honda dealership I bought my car at took back their dealer advertisement license plate frame when they swapped out my temp plate for my permanent plate. Believe me, if it were a hoax, they'd have kept their ad on the back of my car.

Is this law ever enforced? Not really. Just look at all the illegally dark tinted windows on the road. But if you think that means no one ever gets tickets for that... then go right ahead.

I myself would put a license plate frame on my car. But if I ever get a ticket for it, I'm going to be tempted to bring a First Amendment suit not unlike the following case:

In 1977, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in the case of Wooley v. Maynard, 430 U.S. 705, that New Hampshire could not prosecute motorists who chose to hide part or all of the slogan on license plates. George Maynard, a Jehovah's Witness, cut off "or die" from his plate for religious reasons, and was convicted of breaking the state law that required the motto. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled 6–3 in his favor, saying the law required people to "use their private property as a 'mobile billboard' for the State's ideological message," and that the state's interest did not outweigh free speech principles.

The case drew widespread attention, partly because of the irony involved with a government denying somebody the freedom to change a slogan that celebrates freedom.

Come to think of it, if anyone in Texas ever gets one of these tickets, let me know. This case isn't exactly dead on-point, but the Texas law is just stupid because most frames barely cover up the "Texas" on the plate. It remains legible. And I'll argue if the state doesn't like it, they should redesign their effen' plates to be more compatible with license plate frames rather than preventing their use all together.

Last edited by stevejust; 09-28-2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:34 PM

Heh, I like the "Save The Dinosaurs" one, though I'm sure most people won't get it.

When choosing a license-plate frame, be sure not to get one that makes you appear cocky. "I get 50 mpg... you?" is cocky and will really annoy some people. If it only said "I get 50 mpg" then that would be fine.

Last edited by CGameProgrammer; 09-28-2005 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:48 PM
G.H. Contributor

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
Heh, I like the "Save The Dinosaurs" one, though I'm sure most people won't get it.

When choosing a license-plate frame, be sure not to get one that makes you appear cocky. "I get 50 mpg... you?" is cocky and will really annoy some people. If it only said "I get 50 mpg" then that would be fine.
Believe it or not I have thought about it (Alot-Still-Thinking) and you confirmed what I have been thinking.

I think the last thing a person wants is to come back to their brand new vehicle and guess what it has been keyed from one end to the other and why because someone didn't like the license plate frames message.

So; Thanks For The Heads-Up !!!!

Terry

Old 09-28-2005, 05:13 PM
World's First Hybrid

I went ahead and got the "I get 100mpg, you" frame. What the heck, might as well make a statement and get people thinking. I never get honked at or keyed but sometimes the SUV's crawl up my tailpipe. If they hit me, I can always use the money. Maybe I'll recoup some of the insurance money I get "held up" for every year here in Taxachusetts.

Old 09-28-2005, 05:23 PM
G.H. Contributor

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
I went ahead and got the "I get 100mpg, you" frame. What the heck, might as well make a statement and get people thinking. I never get honked at or keyed but sometimes the SUV's crawl up my tailpipe. If they hit me, I can always use the money. Maybe I'll recoup some of the insurance money I get "held up" for every year here in Taxachusetts.
Ralph; I hear you (Loud-And-Clear) I'm just not sure "Yet" if I am willing to take the chance because I happen to live where there are alot of (Can-I-Say-This) "Red-Necks" and believe me I have seen some of their work over the yrs.
It ain't pretty:

Terry

Old 09-28-2005, 05:32 PM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Ralph; I hear you (Loud-And-Clear) I'm just not sure "Yet" if I am willing to take the chance because I happen to live where there are alot of (Can-I-Say-This) "Red-Necks" and believe me I have seen some of their work over the yrs.
It ain't pretty:

Terry
Terry,
I guess I'm really anxious for someone to ask me what my real mpg is but I never seem to spend much time at fillin' stations these days. I'm down to 1 bar so maybe I'll get lucky tomorrow.

Old 09-28-2005, 05:38 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Like To Buy Hybrid Lic. Plate Frame; Where?

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
Terry,
I guess I'm really anxious for someone to ask me what my real mpg is but I never seem to spend much time at fillin' stations these days. I'm down to 1 bar so maybe I'll get lucky tomorrow.
Ralph; How can they ask you, like you said you have a HCH and obviously your not at the service station line with the ICE folks, (Now-Are-You?)

See Ya

Terry

Quick Reply: Like To Buy Hybrid Lic. Plate Frame; Where?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands