Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   Nav question (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/nav-question-21874/)

msk914 06-08-2009 10:29 AM

Nav question

Hi all,

I just finished first 1000 miles on my new HCH-II, it is running really nicely. On a NJ to Mass round trip this weekend, hard to keep it below 65-70 mph, just plain dangerous, especially on the Mass Pike. Car still got 45 mpg.

I like the navigation system a lot. Seems to always give 3 warnings if possible on a turn, one at 1/2 mile, one at 1/4 mile and then one with 2 blocks to go; then the real turn itself. But I do miss one feature, I wonder if it is programmable into the navigation, sorry I am lazy about reading the manual about this: When it says 'turn left in 1/2 mile' I would love if it would add 'at Smith Street' -- so it would say 'turn left in 1/2 mile (or 1/4 mile or in 2 blocks) at Smith Street'. I now always glance down to see the street name, just a habit of knowing what street to look for on my previous system, which I liked. And the nav knows the street name, it is listed right there.

thanks,

Mark

dantheman 06-08-2009 02:05 PM

Re: Nav question

Hi Mark,

I have a Nav too in my HCH (updated to the 2009 model year). I don't think it can do what you want. I'm pretty sure it doesn't support text-to-speech.

-dan

msk914 06-08-2009 02:39 PM

I do not think I explained it well: I simply want it to say what it always says, but I want it to add this to the sentence: 'onto XYZ street' -- like when it says, "make the second right" I want it to say instead -- "make the second right onto Smith Street".

Mark

limey6413 06-08-2009 03:12 PM

Go into setup and change the guidance to "Full" or something to that effect and it will read street names (although in a generated voice not as nice as the canned version)

gumby 06-08-2009 09:39 PM

Yes, it will read street names, though sometimes the pronunciation is humorous.

morgante 06-08-2009 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by limey6413 (Post 204531)
Go into setup and change the guidance to "Full" or something to that effect and it will read street names (although in a generated voice not as nice as the canned version)

Yep, if you hit Setup and change the Guidance Prompts setting to Max, the system will announce the street name at 1/2 and 1/4 miles to the turn. It will say the line just like you want (EX: "In a quarter mile, make a left turn on Swan Avenue"), and the synthesizer for pronouncing street names is actually pretty good IMO. It can be hilarious when trying to pronounce all the Spanish street names that are around here.

The nav system's diagnostic menu actually has settings to tweak the TTS synthesizer. You can do things like adjust pitch, tone, speed, etc of the voice.

msk914 06-10-2009 08:43 AM

Yes, I just tried this (MAX) and it is working fine. Nice system.

thanks,

Mark

sbiller1 06-15-2009 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by morgante (Post 204565)
The nav system's diagnostic menu actually has settings to tweak the TTS synthesizer. You can do things like adjust pitch, tone, speed, etc of the voice.

Could you please enlighten me on how to get into the diagnostic menu on the 2009 OEM Nav?

TIA,
Sam

sbiller1 06-15-2009 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by sbiller1 (Post 204949)
Could you please enlighten me on how to get into the diagnostic menu on the 2009 OEM Nav?

TIA,
Sam

I think I answered my own question from the hidden features thread. Hold down map-menu-cancel for 3 seconds. I will try it later today. :embarass:

morgante 06-17-2009 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by sbiller1 (Post 204952)
I think I answered my own question from the hidden features thread. Hold down map-menu-cancel for 3 seconds. I will try it later today. :embarass:

That's right. Have fun poking around in there, but use some caution as these screens are not meant to be seen by civilian eyes :shade:.