HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Navigation PC Card is better than iPod

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Navigation PC Card is better than iPod

This is such a cleaner way to have mp3 music integrated instead of using an iPod connected to the aux jack. I am so glad I opted for the nav system in the car. This sounds like it will work out great. If only they would have put BlueTooth into it I would have been totally satisfied but I'm not complaining in the least. Honda is real close to achieving nirvanna!

HBJ

Old 08-08-2008, 05:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I must agree that this would seem to be cleaner. I ordered the 8GB (why? because I could!) and adapter and just waiting on them to show up in the mail. I would say either today or tomorrow, hopefully. Regardless, $80 (high end estimate) or so is much cheaper for car use than the iPod video that I have. I like gadgets and new electronic devices, but would rather not keep the expensive iPod in the car in the event something were to happen to it. Plus, this way I can get more information on the song that is playing and probably easier to control than fumbling for the iPod while driving!

Old 08-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Enthusiast

I used the links to amazon provided above (thanks) and just received:

SanDisk SDAD-38-A10 CF to PC Card Adapter ($16.49 +$4.40 S/H) , and

Sandisk 1GB CompactFlash Card (SDCFB1024800) ( $12.99 +$5.95 S/H)

I converted 931 songs to mp3 with iTunes used a Dynex all-In-1 reader/writer from Best Buy ($ 29.00) to load the CF card. note: can not convert songs bought in iTunes to mp3 (at least I cann't figure out how to) but all songs (931) I loaded to iTunes from CDs are working. I only loaded mp3s to the CF card.

Plug and play in the nav PC card slot with no problems.

Sounds better the my gen 3 nano playing thru the aux. plug and feels much saver as I control the card with the cars build in interfaces. Nav systems interface is good but not as good as the iPod.

Glad I got the Nav (had no option if I wanted to make the July 1 tax credit dead line, as this was only one available at the time I was looking) for the GPS is fun/useful and the PC card slot is a great bonus.

Rick

Last edited by rpecora; 08-09-2008 at 10:41 AM. Reason: added note re iTunes purchases
Old 08-10-2008, 04:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rpecora
Sandisk 1GB CompactFlash Card (SDCFB1024800) ( $12.99 +$5.95 S/H)

I converted 931 songs to mp3 with iTunes used a Dynex all-In-1 reader/writer from Best Buy ($ 29.00) to load the CF card. note: can not convert songs bought in iTunes to mp3 (at least I cann't figure out how to) but all songs (931) I loaded to iTunes from CDs are working. I only loaded mp3s to the CF card.
How many songs were you able to fit on the 1GB card? I'm guessing around 200.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:31 AM
Enthusiast

No gold ring for that guess....

All 931 with a little space left.

Rick

Old 08-10-2008, 05:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rpecora
No gold ring for that guess....

All 931 with a little space left.

Rick
That must be some crazy super compression you got going on to get each song down to around 1MB a piece. My files run around 4-8MB in size with a modest 128kbps compression.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:14 AM
Enthusiast

Well guess you do get the gold ring...

My bad, typo 231 songs not 931.

Rick

Old 08-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ok, my techhy geekness is going to show here....I was rummaging through one of my desk drawers yesterday and I found the following:

128MB CF card
64MB SD card
1GB SD card

This is in addition to the 32MB SD card that came with my canon digital camera I got in June, the 2GB mini SD card I have, and the 8GB SD card.....I feel ashamed lol.

However, I am working on getting some songs onto the 128MB card, so that I can play with things today. Lord only knows what might be sitting in other places in my desk or on a bookcase somewhere!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast

wick1ert

What adaptor are you using?

rick

Old 08-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

I chose this high quality, $8 w/ free shipping one:

http://www.memorysuppliers.com/comad.html

For the adapters, you can go cheap, but for the card itself, I wouldn't recommend.

Quick Reply: Navigation PC Card is better than iPod

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands