Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   Remote trunk release; how to install in Canadian HCH II? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/remote-trunk-release-how-install-canadian-hch-ii-23261/)

navguy12 11-14-2009 05:36 AM

Remote trunk release; how to install in Canadian HCH II?

One of the features unavailable in a Canadian marketed 2007 HCH is the remote (keyless) trunk release.

I have wanted to "upgrade" to this since I have had the car, but am unsure how the alarm system would deal with it.

That said, at http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/honda_parts.php I can buy what appears to be a correct truck power lock assembly (part # 74851-SNA-A22).

I must assume that this unit is "plug and play". Will the actual alarm system have to be modified as well? Can one (using the solenoid in this new part) simply use any aftermarket keyless entry product? Or, do I need to find an actual USA HCH key fob with the extra "trunk" button on same?

perfect solution I am aiming for: with part # 74851-SNA-A22 installed, I can get a correct USA key fob (off E-Bay) and have said key reprogrammed to my Canadian car.

solution I am expecting: with part # 74851-SNA-A22 installed, I purchase an off the shelf aftermarket key less entry system and wire it in only to trigger the solenoid in the trunk lock.

I need to know if the alarm system in my Canadian HCH will prohibit any of this.

Any opinions are most welcome. Thanks

Cheers

Mike

Mendel Leisk 11-14-2009 07:25 AM

Re: Remote trunk release; how to install in Canadian HCH II?

Looking in Honda Canada's summation of the current '09's Comfort & Convenience section of Specifications, I see remote trunk release now is included. When we got our '06 I recall being disappointed by the omission of remote release. Frustrating too when the Owner's Manual shows it:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...an-page-76.jpg

You can open the trunk with the key while the car's alarm is on, and the in-dash alarm indicator light continues to blink, fwiw.

Just browsing on the net, key replacement looks kind of pricey:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_d...Honda_CRV_cost

Good idea, and it's always satisfying to get something like this done, and done right, but I don't know: I'd be inclined to just live with it till trade-in time, considering the unknowns, the expense and possible issues with alarm, etc.

Addendum:

The above is cut-and-paste from a pdf manual, but I did go out and check the physical manual in the glove box: it shows the same key fob, with the extra remote trunk release.

starman 11-14-2009 07:19 PM

Looking in Honda Canada's summation of the current '09's Comfort & Convenience section of Specifications, I see remote trunk release now is included. When we got our '06 I recall being disappointed by the omission of remote release. Frustrating too when the Owner's Manual shows it:

It was included for the 1st time on the 2008 Canadian models. I looked at a 2007 vs 2008 and saw that key fob difference right away. But the 2007 was discounted $3500. plus the 2007 qualified for the $2000. fed rebate. It was a no brainer which one I bought.

starman 11-14-2009 07:24 PM

One of the features unavailable in a Canadian marketed 2007 HCH is the remote (keyless) trunk release.

I have wanted to "upgrade" to this since I have had the car, but am unsure how the alarm system would deal with it.

You should try to contact Collage Hills Honda as they are are in modding big time. (Just watch some of their video blogs) http://www.collegehillshonda.com/

They were a big help which the installation of the factory XM radio I put in my car.

navguy12 11-16-2009 06:34 AM

Thanks all for your reply. I'll have to get a shop manual and start researching this some more. As I want to drive the car another 7.5 years, I think I'll pursue this avenue to its logical conclusion.......

If I am successful, I'll capture the info and post it here.

Cheers

Mike

bengteck 11-16-2009 11:36 PM

Sorry I've to inform you the bad news, it will not work on the 07
but if you're willing to pay an arm and leg it still work

option one - very x
replaced the rear boot device with motorised actuator (cost abt $150)
replaced the remote controller module incl the immboliser ($500)
reprogrammed all the keys ( each abt $50)
not forgetting buy new keys (each abt $200)

option two - abit x
aftermarket add on alarm module (abt $150-300)
but you need to own seperate keys to open boot

option three - lest x
install aftermarket actuator (abt $10)
install aftermarket remote trigger device when door open press twice ($30)

navguy12 11-17-2009 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by bengteck (Post 214051)
Sorry I've to inform you the bad news, it will not work on the 07
but if you're willing to pay an arm and leg it still work

option one - very x
replaced the rear boot device with motorised actuator (cost abt $150)
replaced the remote controller module incl the immboliser ($500)
reprogrammed all the keys ( each abt $50)
not forgetting buy new keys (each abt $200)

option two - abit x
aftermarket add on alarm module (abt $150-300)
but you need to own seperate keys to open boot

option three - lest x
install aftermarket actuator (abt $10)
install aftermarket remote trigger device when door open press twice ($30)

Thanks much. My dealer also told me that option one would be "an arm and a leg".
I like option 3, but I can use an actual civic actuator at a cost of $42 triggered by an aftermarket remote.

More to follow.

bengteck 11-17-2009 09:20 PM

there's a similar discussion here

you may get them as long you can fix them to your aftermarket remote
let me know if you further help, email (bengtecktan@yahoo.com) will be a better choice

navguy12 11-18-2009 05:26 AM

i install an additional module to the door open wire
the module will only trigger if i press the open button twice successively within 2 sec
best part it don't require addtional power to active them

at the boot i've install an actuator to sumilate the pulling effect, addtionally i added a buzzer so i know the boot open triggerred

have fun with your mod, if you wish to know more on other modification email me at bengtecktan@yahoo.com
Bengtech: From your other thread. This sounds like the best solution of all.:D I'll e-mail you directly for technical details.

Much thanks

Mike

navguy12 11-22-2009 06:38 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Bengteck, I forwarded that photo of your home built "additional module" that requires 2 triggers before it will pass power to an aftermarket solenoid to a buddy of mine. Since I am not an experienced electrical hobbyist, I have no idea on how to build something like that.......

Could you post that same picture in this venue and perhaps someone in the crowd can provide insight on how to build it or where to purchase a facsimile of same?

For the rest of the folks who do not have a power trunk release that works with the key fob button that came with the car:

The only hold-up is to find a way that a "device" will sense a 12 volt pulse, remember it and then if a 2nd 12 volt pulse occurs within 2 seconds, the 2nd 12 volt pulse is allowed to pass thru to an aftermarket trunk release solenoid.

My vision to do this project is as follows (with info from 2006-2007 Electrical Troubleshooting HCH manual):

The keyless entry system and alarm system are controlled by one box (sorry I do not know how to do the adobe thing, these are simply photos):
Attachment 1275
The above photo depicts the brains of the Power Door Locks/Keyless Entry/Security System. It is located in the Under-dash Fuse/Relay Box.
Attachment 1276
The above photo depicts a close up of what is called the MICU (Multiplex Integrated Control Unit). Note the 3 horizontal lines, each with an arrowhead at the right end. Arrowhead A (door lock command) is the MICU signal path to lock the doors. Arrowhead B (door unlock command) is the MICU signal path to unlock the doors. Arrowhead C (trunk release command), inside the dashed box, is the USA only MICU signal path to the USA only Trunk Lid Opener Solenoid.
Attachment 1277
The above photo shows where Arrowhead A, the door lock command, and Arrowhead B, the door unlock command, go to. The 4 door lock motors are in the center. They all receive a 12V "+" pulse via an (individual to each motor) blue wire to "lock". They all receive a 12V "+" pulse via an (individual to each motor) yellow wire to "unlock".
Attachment 1278
The above photo shows where Arrowhead B, the door unlock command, actuates the relay to unlock the drivers door (first pulse from factory supplied remote key fob) and then the 2nd relay to unlock the 3 remaining doors (second pulse from factory supplied remote key fob).
Attachment 1279
The above photo shows the details of where the rear drivers side door lock motor gets its unlock signal. The wire is yellow in color. The connector "C771" between the MICU and the Left Rear Door Lock Actuator is where I plan to tap into the existing system to power the aftermarket trunk solenoid.
Since I can only uplift 5 photos at a time, I'm going to submit this reply and then continue with more details in a moment...stay tuned.