HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Solar panel install and use on an HCH-2

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Solar panel install and use on an HCH-2

Originally Posted by noflash
There are definately benefits, esp if you are drawing extra current from your battery, i.e., cell phone charger, heated seats.

I am interested in doing this, but I have tinted windows and plan on using a sun visor as soon as the weather turns warmer.

It there a way to mount it in the front so it isn't blocked by a sunvisor? Seems dificult to perfect a sun-blocking and sun-harnessing setup.

And, thanks M for the great post.
If it is water-tight, the best place would be outside of the car, like on the roof, but I doubt that many people would be willing to do that. I've seen pictures of an Insight with substantiable solar panels on the roof though.
What about the spoiler, it is already made of plastic. A panel or two could easily find its way there. And should you mess up, it can be replaced.
Otherwise, what is wrong with the dashboard? It has plenty surface, or is your front window also tinted?

Old 06-06-2007, 03:16 PM
iSteve

http://www.solarelectricalvehicles.com/

is this the next step?

I wonder if you can order them in green, midn you it would look strange on my Sparkle Grey Car

Old 06-06-2007, 03:37 PM
For my daughter

Originally Posted by noflash
There are definately benefits...
Well, there is no small saving. . However, my hybrid will look very cool with a solar panel. Another promotion for alternative source of energy

Pierre M.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:05 PM
For my daughter

msantos,

You seams to have to lowest watt units. Do you have something to say about why or why not take a unit with more watts ?!

(Another question not related to this threat : Do you use your bloc heater all the summer ?)

Pierre

Old 06-07-2007, 01:24 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Wink Re: Solar panel install and use on an HCH-2

PapaMile,

I wondered also if a larger solar panel could be used. I live near Buffalo, NY. We still have temps in the 40's at night. I leave my block heater in all night. I recently bought a timer for my extension cord (no garage). I will be using the timer for a few hours as the weather warms up.

Good luck,

Old 06-07-2007, 04:38 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by PapaMile
msantos,

You seams to have to lowest watt units. Do you have something to say about why or why not take a unit with more watts ?!

(Another question not related to this threat : Do you use your bloc heater all the summer ?)
Pierre;

These solar panels I use, are right there in the specification border-line for most automotive type 12 volt batteries. Anything else larger would run the risk of overcharging the battery and would require an additional module usually referred to as a charge regulator.

Yes, I do use (strategically) a block heater in the summer. How else would I be able to achieve commutes of 3.8 l/100km (61 mpg) in the city ?

Cheers

MSantos

Old 06-07-2007, 04:40 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by Donald
...I will be using the timer for a few hours as the weather warms up.
That is what I call "strategic" use of a block heater. Perhaps a better word would be "optimal".

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 06-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Your best bet to increase FE would be to practice more hypermiling techniques. Between a block heater and 40 degrees (which probably uses as much or more electricty than it saves in gas) and the solar panel, you are talking about the tiniest amount of savings.

Reduce your rpm's by 100 or 200 when accelerating or coast longer to stop signs and traffic lights and you will have a significant increase in FE.

Now this is just my opinion - if you want to glue solar panels all over your car so it looks cool, do so.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:35 PM
For my daughter

Originally Posted by ppgroup
Your best bet to increase FE would be to practice more hypermiling techniques. ... if you want to glue solar panels all over your car so it looks cool, do so.
Of course ! My average is now between 53 to 60mpg depending of the winds. So of course, I already practice all kind hypermilers techniques. I think we all agree, the solar panel is a bit a gadget and it will not turn a 20mpg into a 60 one. But if we can listen more Tangerine dream on our CD, Why not ?!

The bloc heater, here where the night temp was 32f yesterday, is not a gadget at all.

Pierre

Old 07-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

How did you install this? I am interested in getting one, but I am not willing to drill any holes in my car. Do you think that that is possible? Also, what is a block heater?
THX

Okay. Now, I see that you used velcro and adhesive to attach it. Will this come off cleanly? If I sell my car in a few years or if I decide to remove it for some reason, i do not want a bunch of sticky stuff back there. Sorry for asking questions that already had been answered. I still do not know what a block heater is, however.

Last edited by giantquesadilla; 07-31-2007 at 08:14 PM. Reason: I'm stupid

Quick Reply: Solar panel install and use on an HCH-2

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands