HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Vibration / Noise above 50 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Vibration / Noise above 50 MPH

I brought my car to get it looked at today, turns out it is an issue with the wheel bearings. Should be covered under warranty so I'm happy.

Thanks,
Ben

Old 02-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Your not the first to have this pop up. Good luck, H

Old 03-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Enthusiast

[quote=blee81;160558]Hi guys,
I bought a 2008 HCHII in October -- recently took it on a road trip from San Jose to Los Angeles. Afterwards, I've noticed that I'm getting kind of a whiny vibration noise when I go above 50 miles per hour roughty -- the noise seems dependent on speed only (not whether I'm accelerating). It's not terribly loud, but it definitely seems new. I also feel a bit of vibration on the accelerator pedal.

Has anyone experienced the same? I'm going to take it into the dealer I guess -- but I was hoping for some clues on what to expect.
Could it be something stuck in one of my tires? (I haven't noticed anything but I could check more thoroughly).

Thanks,
Ben[/quote

My husband and I bought a Civic Hybrid 10 months ago. Our car is vibrating too but mainly over speeds of 80km though it vibrates at other speeds too. You can feel the vibrations in the steering wheel, seat and vibrating of our lips and nose when going more than 80km. We did not have this problem when we bought the car. It started about 5 months after buying it and progressively got worse. The car has been with the dealership for 3 weeks. They checked tires, bearings, CV, and numerous other things to no avail. Anyone else experiencing this?

Old 03-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Enthusiast

My husband and I bought a 2007 civic hybrid 10 months ago. Within 5 months of owning the car we started to get a vibration that was felt in the stearing wheel, seat which progressively got worse so that the drivers nose and lips were tiggling after an hour drive in the car. We have had the car in several times to the dealership and they have checked, the tires, bearings, CV among other things....I would have to ask my husband for the complete list. Well nothing has worked. It vibrates at 50km but is the worse at 80 km to about 95 km. Any thoughts? Elizabeth

Old 03-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast

This are the indicators of the rear camber problem. Honda is replacing the upper control arm to make adjustment for camber (wheels are tilted too far inward).

Are your tires wearing on the outside edge?

See Technical Service Bulletin 08-001, dated February 2008 for full description.

Also see the "negative camber" posts on this site for extensive discussion.

--Peterg

Old 03-06-2008, 05:34 PM

Or you may simply require a WHEEL BALANCE. Since your steering wheel vibrates...

Old 03-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, good idea. Have the front wheels balanced. Have all four wheels balanced. Get the person doing the work to write down the amount of weight needed for each wheel. Check pattern of tire wear. You can have the service person write it all on your receipt. Date. Miles. Keep it all as part of your records. You will need them when you take the car to your Honda dealership.

Peterg

Old 03-08-2008, 07:00 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Peterg and Enthusiast, the wheels have been balanced and alignment done at least twice. They also took tires off a new honda hybrid and put them on the car and the vibration was still there. Here are some of the other things they did,
- switched tires and rims and both drive shafts
-vibration most prominent at 85km when cruise control is on
-inspected drive line and suspension said it was fine.
What do you think? Elizabeth

Old 03-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Enthusiast

Did you save the alignment readout from the alignment shop?
Can you decipher the rear camber numbers? If so, please post for others to compare.
It sounds like you are in Canada (85km, not miles!) You should know there has been a Technical Service Bulletin out since last year dealing with symptoms such as yours. It was just released in the USA in February. It concerns excessive negative rear camber and the fix is very, very easy, assuming your Dealer is listening and does not have Bad Dealer Syndrome. Honda (Japan) produced a new rear control that corrects the problem. Less than $200 retail. Should be covered by warranty. Sounds to me like your dealer is listening and is willing to help, but, they did not hear about the TSB. That seems to be the case with some others.
Also, Honda also had a recall for rear bearings leakage.
You should be able to find out from any dealer (or Honda Costumer Care) using your VIN number what applies to your particular vehicle. You should call Honda Costumer Care in any case and start a file on your problems.
Please look at the threads concerning Negative Camber on this site. You will find a lot of information, including links to the TSB's.
Let us know what happens.
--Peterg