HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

This whole slow acceleration business... help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: This whole slow acceleration business... help!

Originally Posted by peking
Hi, I live in the Mpls area too, well, actually Apple Valley. Yes, it's been pretty cold in the morning the past few days. Honestly, the HCH doesn't do well in just straight city driving. I can barely get 40 MPG in the city. This is what I do to maximize my MPG:

*Park in the garage (if possible).
*Start the car and go (no long warm ups).
*Accelerate under 2K (RPMs) and no more than 3 bars of assist.
*Drive like you have no brakes (glide and decelerate to stops).
*Tire pressure to 40 PSI.
*There's a sweet spot when stepping on the gas pedal to maintain your speed (in city driving) where you can get the bars on the FE gage to max out. You'll have to play around to find it.

BTW, the cold has dropped my MPG from 52 to 44. Also, I drive 30% city and 70% Hwy. Good luck and I hope this helps.

PF
This absolutely did help, as well as many others comments they've posted here. I have taken all of your advice, plus blocked the front of my HCHII with the pipe insulation, and have seen my FE climb from last tank at 36 to 42.6 and its been getting colder out. I checked into price to install block heater at honda dealership and they quoted me 65 for the part and 228 to install. A bit more than I want to spend, but we'll see.

One additional question for any snow drivers in MN or elsewhere. Did you end up getting better tires for snow driving? I am finding that my HCH II has considerably less traction than my previous car, and am wondering what others do to help this. Is the issue tire related, car weight related? any ideas? I've had Honda's in the past where the factory tires are horrible in snow.

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by MPLSMN
One additional question for any snow drivers in MN or elsewhere. Did you end up getting better tires for snow driving? I am finding that my HCH II has considerably less traction than my previous car, and am wondering what others do to help this. Is the issue tire related, car weight related? any ideas? I've had Honda's in the past where the factory tires are horrible in snow.
If I recall correctly, Apple Valley has a few hills... so I would absolutely "freak out" to be driving with the original tires on during the snow months.

Most here will tell you that getting good winter rubber on the car is an absolute necessity. I always do, and I recommend it always. As you noted, the OEM tires are just too "slippery" for safe winter driving.

Congratulations on you FE progress.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-03-2007, 12:20 PM
my other car is a FJORD

as to the question of snow tires. yes i did get a set for winter, though, unfortunately i had to put mine on early because the tires that came with the car gave up the ghost. i got a set of Toyos from a dealer here in st. cloud, and they have helped a lot, especially today!

ouch it was -8 when i got to work, and some of the backroads i drive are still not totally plowed. but i have still been getting really decent mileage in spite of the snows and the temps, but it will probably drop since i have to start out cold on the way home. i managed 59MPG into work this morning.

i got my engine heater at Tanner Honda in Brainerd, and it was $122 installed. if you are ever going up that way, it might be worth it to call them.........

keep up the good work

Old 12-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by medicmike
Does anyone know---would using a heavier weight oil like 5W-20 cause an increase in friction and warm up the engine sooner, or would the heavier oil offset any advantages of this?
No matter how we slice it, the heavier oil has no practical advantages whatsoever (other than lower price and higher availability, of course). In fact, the only thing I can think of, amounts to disadvantages, particularly the unnecessary and premature engine wear in colder months... then wasted fuel, etc, etc.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback. I believe I read elsewhere in this discussion group about people actually getting a second set of rims/tires for winter, and changing them out each season. I personally don't want to do this as I have oddly grown to like the rims on the car (hated them at first).

Why wouldn't one just put new tires that are considered all season - that actually perform well in the summer and winter? Why have two sets of wheels, and are the benefits/costs really noticable? Thanks again in advance!

Old 12-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Why wouldn't one just put new tires that are considered all season - that actually perform well in the summer and winter? Why have two sets of wheels, and are the benefits/costs really noticable? Thanks again in advance!
All season tire performance is not as safe as winter tire rubber at all. The differences can be very dramatic.

Because, if like me you've grown to like the original rims you definitely do not want to expose them to more damage than necessary. Look at it this way:
  1. The salt and sand will pit and damage the rims
  2. You'll have to pay someone to swap the rubber twice a year from all four rims. Don't forget the balancing costs.
  3. The shop people will brutalize the rims when extracting the rubber from then rims. That often means gouging them on the edges and ever scratching the mirror like polish they have. Now multiply the chance of damage by 2 per year.
Now, if you get an alternate set preferably something that you wont feel very sorry for due to the salt, sand and occasional curb hit then your original rims will thank you.

Here's a pic of my genuine Honda winter setup:

They are Honda steel rims with DX wheel covers and lug nuts riding on Michelin X-ICE tires.

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 12-03-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
If I recall correctly, Apple Valley has a few hills... so I would absolutely "freak out" to be driving with the original tires on during the snow months.
Actually, Apple Valley, MN is pretty flat but we don't need to argue about that.

The Dunlops on the HCHII aren't the best tires for the snow but they weren't too bad when I drove in the snow storm we just had over the weekend. BTW, this is my first winter driving this car. I was expecting the worse b/c of the previous post I've read about them and people switching to snow tires. I was thinking about getting Goodyear TripleTreds for it b/c they're good in the snow, ice and wet roads but don't want to fork out the extra money (yet). Plus, I can get them at a good price b/c my friend works at Goodyear.

On the block heater, $293 is a lot b/c I like to install those thing myself. Have you called other dealers in the metro area (Brookdale, Hopkins, Richfield, Buerkle or Burnsville) for a better price? I thought about the block heater too but couldn't justify installing it. I would only use it, if I was parked at home and I park in the garage 99% of the time. It doesn't get too cold in my garage and I noticed a few days ago the "Auto Stop" engaged after 3.8 miles. So, the question is, "Is $293 worth it to get another 1-3 MPG in the Winter?" Looks like you're doing pretty well by getting up to 42.6 MPG in cold weather. Either way, it's up to you and it's your money.

Just my two cents,
Paul

Old 12-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hello, I am also from Minneapolis and got my block heater installed at Brookdale Honda for $70. I had pre-ordered the part from hondapartsdeals.com. $228 is too much.

This absolutely did help, as well as many others comments they've posted here. I have taken all of your advice, plus blocked the front of my HCHII with the pipe insulation, and have seen my FE climb from last tank at 36 to 42.6 and its been getting colder out. I checked into price to install block heater at honda dealership and they quoted me 65 for the part and 228 to install. A bit more than I want to spend, but we'll see.

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:36 PM
my other car is a FJORD

the other thing about changing out the tires is that you can run low resistance tires in the un-snowy season here in minnesota, and that really helps your mileage. that said, i have no explanation for why i continued to get such good numbers running my snows for the last month........they have a much stronger tread pattern than my LRR ones did.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by peking
Actually, Apple Valley, MN is pretty flat but we don't need to argue about that.

I concede, I would lose the argument for sure. I seemed to recall that part of "Apple Valley" included the Zoo area, which at the time seemed kind of hilly. My bad memory does not help at all !

Cheers;

MSantos

Quick Reply: This whole slow acceleration business... help!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands