HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Windshield wiper blade replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Windshield wiper blade replacement

Has anyone tried the new blade-style Michelin or Rain-X blades yet? Do they fit?

Old 10-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

The stock HCH II blades are essentially the same "bracket-less" design as the Michelin blades that you are describing.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've put Rain-X on the windscreen and because of the rake of it the water just rolls off of it at any speed above about 10 mph. I imagine the blades will dry rot before they get worn out.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast

I just replaced the stock wipers with Bosch Icons (426A for driver, 422B for passenger). The instructions for removing the wiper refills as stated in the owner's manual were not anywhere close to what I actually did. You don't press off the little cover; you get a flat-blade screwdriver, insert it into a small gap directly in front of the cover, and gently twist the screwdriver until the cover slides out of its locked position. Then you pop it off and set it aside. There's a little latch behind the wiper where it attaches to the arm that you press in, and that allows you to slide the wiper blade off the arm (slide it down, towards the vehicle's hood).

I also found that while the Icons slide right into the wiper arm, they are by no means a perfect replacement for the factory refills. Neither the little cover that comes stock with the arm, nor the cover that comes with the Icons, will fit once the wiper is locked into the arm. It's still a solid connection, and I don't anticipate the wiper coming out, but the little connection is now exposed to the elements. Not sure if that's a big deal. But I paid for the Icons, and dammit, I'm gonna use the Icons!

Hope this helps somebody else.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Spraying some soapy water on the blade refill will make the job of inserting it in the assembly much easier.