Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Accord Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-accord-hybrid-27/)
-   -   A/C effectiveness (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-accord-hybrid-27/c-effectiveness-2889/)

newswede 07-22-2005 07:06 PM

A/C effectiveness

Hi folks -

Newbie with first post, and hopefully many more. I finally test drove the HAH today when the weather was close to the century mark, and one thing concerned me - when in 'auto-stop?' mode (stoplight or stop/go traffic), the A/C fan speed drops and does not blow very cold air. As soon as you step on gas, it's back to normal. Given the hot weather in Texas, this concerns me if we are caught in bad traffic or normal bumper/bumper traffic - it can get uncomfortable in the car. Besides this, car was great!

Schwa 07-22-2005 07:16 PM

Re: A/C effectiveness

Hmm, I thought they used an electric A/C on the Accord so that it would behave more like a Prius and deliver full A/C, or whatever climate control, regardless of the status of the gasoline engine?

tbaleno 07-22-2005 07:17 PM

Is there an econ button like in the civic? If so you can turn that off and it will disable auto-stop so the fan will not turn off.

newswede 07-22-2005 07:21 PM

True, the A/C does continue operation but there is a noticeable drop in fan speed and coolness of the air, and my concern if you sat idle for any length of time, this could get uncomfortable. The salesman did mention this was an improvement and a fix to the earli Civic problem.

lakedude 07-22-2005 07:31 PM

The batts are only gonna last so long running an AC compressor. If the temp got too hot you should do like Tom said and disable the Econ button. Your mileage will take a small hit but at least you will be comfortable.

Lewis 07-22-2005 07:52 PM

I'm unaware of an "econ" button on the HAH, but if you are stuck in traffic and the batt AC is not cool enough for you, you can bypass the autostop by shifting into Park. That will bring your engine AC back. I'm told that if the batt gets too low, the ICE will come on anyway, so either way you should be able to avoid roasting.
Lewis

lakedude 07-22-2005 08:08 PM

Sorry I did an internet search prior to posting and did find mention of an ECON switch. Since you actually have a HAH I'm sure you know better. I didn't see one on the pictures Honda had of the dash.

Here is the a link to where I was originally misinformed:

http://www.hybridcars.com/discussion...=68&replies=32

Are you using the "ECON" button for your climate control? Have you been monitoring your tire pressure? Each or all of these things can have an impact.
and from right here on GH's Accord section:

I've noticed the same phenomenon in my Civic. I suppose the ICE kicking in during a shift to reverse, though seemingly pointless, at least isn't too detrimental - when are you likely to shift into reverse and wait for an extended amount of time before actually moving? I suspect the electric motor can't propel backwards, so the ICE has to kick on. It would seem that they should be able to just tie the restart into the brake pedal, like the autostop does when in drive.

I'm with you, though, on the annoying factor of the ICE kicking on for that few seconds when shifting to park to turn off the car. If anything, "park" should be hardwired to always maintain the ICE off. When would you ever need the engine on in park, except if you wanted to keep your AC on? And there's always the ECON switch for that.

kaymack 07-23-2005 08:14 AM

There isn't an "Econ" switch on the HAH to override Auto-stop. Just this week, I was stuck in a freeway jam for over 30 minutes at 94 degrees and the A/C performed very well. It is programmed to switch off Auto-stop automatically and from electric compressor back to engine compressor if the A/C can't keep up with demand (this never occured during my recent traffic jam). Also, in a "creep and stop" traffic jam, Auto-stop will only engage 3 times. After the 3rd creep, Auto-stop is disengaged and the A/C switches back to the engine compressor (this did occur during my traffic jam). If you want to re-engage Auto-stop, you just lay back a little until a small gap in traffic forms and then move forward so that the car exceeds 8 to 10 mph. Then you will have 3 more Auto-stops available for "creep and stop" (and probably a honk and rude gesture from the guy behind who thought you temporarily fell asleep, or the guy beside you sees the momentary gap in front of you and tries to take advantage of it). So, it's probably best to let Auto-stop disengage after the 3rd "creep and stop", unless you are intent on saving a little bit of fuel or spewing a little less CO in a freeway "parking lot". If so, then I guess you take your chances with the momentary gap and acceleration to over 8-10 mph.

ilene 07-23-2005 09:45 PM

PJ, I live in Plano Tx and have had my HAH since January. So far the interior temperature stays comfortable whether it be freezing or hot as "_ _ll". I keep it in "auto" mode all the time. I also have tinted windows as do most of us that live in north Texas. Also, it has been posted that in stop and go traffic, the auto stop will go off if after so many stops, you do not accelerate over 11 mph. I have only experienced this once.
I really love my car, but it is disappointing to spend the extra money for a hybrid and no one has noticed since there is no distinctive color and just a small "spoiler" to distinguish it from other accords. I have only been asked about my car by one person who did 'stalk' me down when I was in Austin.
My boyfriend is purchasing a Highlander Hybrid. It is even harder to tell it apart from the non hybrid version. Looking forward to comparing the HH performance against my HAH. We should get it the first week of August.

kaymack 07-24-2005 01:14 PM

Sorry to stray from the subject of this thread, but I have noticed that most all Honda drivers notice my HAH (which seems to be the vast majority of cars on the road), especially those driving Accords. It must be the combination of the subtle spoiler, the antenna and the wheels...watch out of the corner of your eye the next time you pull beside an Accord...much gawking, conversation with their passenger and finger pointing. The cool thing is that I have seen an ocassional similar response from Camry drivers!!