First Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 04:27 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter
Default Re: First Oil change

Originally Posted by bar10dah
The HAH has a reminder based on mileage, not actual usage.

I don't recall the first reminder, but the second reminder is when you reach 7,500 miles. The first reminder flashes the maintenance required light a few times at startup. The second reminder leaves the maintenance required light on.
Oh PLEASE no more warning lights on the instrument panel!

I'm about to put a piece of duck tape over the "Your headlights are on" warning light because at first glance (having never owned a car that "warned" me of the patently obvious with the headlights )it looks like the one for "Your high beams are on."

It's like the big GREEN indicator light that the cruise control *system* is turned on (in addition to the bigger/greener one that says that the cc is set.) I like the way the Civic does that one better: the "the system is on" light is an LED on the power button for the cc, not on the instrument panel.

But then, the Civic has a much more groovy light show with the charge/assist functions. It's so big and bright (I like it) that one can almost hear The Village People singing in the background.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

no- just the same 'maint req'd' light that almost everyone has nowadays. Reset it and it goes away until the next 7500 mile interval- method is in the manual.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by nimbus2k
Oh PLEASE no more warning lights on the instrument panel!
Agreed. Never understood the headlights lamp. Can't stand the CC lamps.

Originally Posted by nimbus2k
But then, the Civic has a much more groovy light show with the charge/assist functions. It's so big and bright (I like it) that one can almost hear The Village People singing in the background.
So, the Civic has it's own personal little disco going on??

Old 12-13-2005, 04:12 PM

speaking of disco lights.....

I just got the car back from the dealer - they instaled the auto-dimming rearview mirror as the only accessory I took on the car. Anybody have an idea what the little (distracting) green light is up there? (They didn't leave me any sort of "manual addendum" on the mirror so I assume it just ... works.)

That light is downright irritating too (but then... I would have done just as well with the auto-dim mirror WITHOUT a compass installed, because I'm a GUY and GUYS don't need to know where the Hekk they're going, when they get behind the wheel of a car! LOL

(BTW I do like the "tech" of the auto-dim mirror: it seems to be very well SUV-Proof and darkens sufficiently, no matter what "height" vehicle is barreling up behind me.)

Old 12-13-2005, 06:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bar10dah
Agreed. Never understood the headlights lamp. Can't stand the CC lamps.
The electroluminescent gauge cluster is the reason for the headlamp indicator - without it, it would be more difficult to tell if your lamps were on, since the gauge cluster is always 'glowing' or 'lit up', as it were. That's the theory, at least. Makes sense for dawn / dusk scenarios, or where local laws require headlamps on due to inclement weather. In the black of night, yes - it seems fairly obvious when your lamps are on, I guess.

On the dual CC indicators - agreed. The 6th-gen Accord had a LED in a dash-mounted button for 'armed', and the one dash light for 'engaged'. Why they figured that two lights were necessary is beyond me.

My dash is busy as it is - I was amazed that they were able to stuff the IMA charge / assist indicators and the economy light in the same basic cluster, without mucking up the functionality of the whole setup (such as it is).

Old 12-13-2005, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Reynolds
The electroluminescent gauge cluster is the reason for the headlamp indicator - without it, it would be more difficult to tell if your lamps were on...
Well then, they screwed up. The indicator comes on when the marker lights are turned on. So, it doesn't "indicate" anything at all to me that my headlights are/aren't on.

Man oh man, if I had the time and patience (and wiring diagrams) I'd rewire it so that the indicator only comes on when the actual headlights are on. That would be more useful to me. Especially since I can already tell if my marker lights are on simply by the intensity of the instrument cluster and Navi screen.

Old 12-13-2005, 11:05 PM

My dash is busy as it is - I was amazed that they were able to stuff the IMA charge / assist indicators and the economy light in the same basic cluster, without mucking up the functionality of the whole setup (such as it is).
I'm pretty happy with that, as well. I know there are some on this forum that really like their "disco lights." But, I prefer the low key IMA indicators on the HAH.

One thing I would change about the instrument cluster is, have the odometer displayed, as well as the trip and the temp. All at the same time! I constantly find myself flipping through the screens to see the odometer (especially when I was nearing my oil change interval*) and then go back to Trip A and Temp.

*I was such a proud father! I was so excited about my baby's first oil change that I was attentively watching the odometer click away until it was finally time to give her her first oil change! I was so proud, I even took pictures!

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-hah.4788.html

Old 12-13-2005, 11:05 PM

Now, if I start carrying pictures of my car in my wallet, I think my wife will have something to say about that...

Old 12-14-2005, 09:44 PM

The electroluminescent gauge cluster is the reason for the headlamp indicator - without it, it would be more difficult to tell if your lamps were on, since the gauge cluster is always 'glowing' or 'lit up', as it were. .
Gee not on my car. With the lights off the instrument panel is very VERY bright. But when I turn the lights on, everything gets pleasantly dim, so it's very easy to tell (even in daylight) when the lights are turned on.

Since the US models don't use Daytime Running Lights I tried it for a day with the headlights on, but the instrument panel was just TOO dim with the lights on during the day. (I'm one of the three people on the planet who really LIKES having daytime running lights on.)

Old 12-14-2005, 09:51 PM

The '06 HAH has them!

Also, when I find myself running with headlights during the day, I can select "day" under my Navi setup screen. That way, the instrument cluster and Navi screen are both on brightly no matter if the headlights are on or off.