Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Accord Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-accord-hybrid-27/)
-   -   Question about Consumer reports Findings (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-accord-hybrid-27/question-about-consumer-reports-findings-1843/)

rlm 04-08-2005 05:41 AM

Question about Consumer reports Findings

In the May Consumer Reports, the HAH was tested and recommended as it should have been.

However, in the rated list of individual components, the headlights received a rating of only fair (half black circle).

Does anyone know why?

Tink 04-08-2005 05:47 AM

Re: Question about Consumer reports Findings

Good morning, rlm. You list a HAH as something you own, so I may not be telling you anything you haven't observed.... I was asked a couple of days ago if I was going to install HIDs. I told the asker that I didn't see any need for them - that the OEM lights were teriffic. I haven't notice 1/2 black circle, but I'll try to be more observant; but as to adequately lighting up the road, I'm very happy.

Lewis 04-08-2005 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by rlm
In the May Consumer Reports, the HAH was tested and recommended as it should have been.

However, in the rated list of individual components, the headlights received a rating of only fair (half black circle).

Does anyone know why?

RLM,
Short answer: no, I don't know why.

Longer answer. CR has traditionally given Accords high marks; some of my friends say too high, but I've had at least one Honda since 1976, and my experience with Honda quality and reliability pretty much matches CR's assessments over the years. The 1976 wagon had some significant rust issues, but the 1981 Accord never had a speck in over 200k miles--Honda learns, and every Honda I've owned has been better than the last one.

CR is making a comparative assessment-- how well the '05 performs in comparison to other like models.

I do a similar thing though from a much more limited comparison base. We have a 1999 Accord; I had a 1998 Audi A4 which I sold when we bought the HAH. The HAH's headlights are notably better than those in the two models I have been driving (and the 1999 Accord's lights were much better than those of the 1991 Accord), so I am very pleased. Can't say how they compare to an Altima's or a Malibu's, but I observe no negative issues with the HAH headlights in nearly 6000 miles.
Lewis

Stevo12886 04-08-2005 10:37 AM

I havent seen an HCH's lights in action, but i do know that CR tests with reflective posts on low beam. the rating they give has something to do w/ the distance the lights are visible at low beam. (i also think fill in right below the bumper comes into acount)

bar10dah 11-29-2005 04:33 PM

See, I saw that report about the HAH's headlights, as well. And that's what prompted me to start thinking about the foglamps. But, driving at night, I don't reallly see anywhere that the standard headlights are lacking. So far, I think I'm going to skip out on the foglights. I really wish I could drive an HAH w/foglights at night to make a comparison.

gonavy 11-29-2005 05:12 PM

wow you're digging up some old threads! Methinks the rating ding from CR was because people expect HID lights now, especially when plunking down $30k.

lars-ss 11-30-2005 06:39 AM

Aren't those CR ratings (the half black circle) the "reliability" rankings?

If they are reliability rankings, probably what happened is they got so few owners to reply to the surveys (since the car is so new) that, for example, if 25 people submitted surveys and 5 of them rated the headlights poorly or 5 of them had some kind of headlight-related problem, that could lead to the bad rating.

I'm willing to wager that next year the black circle will be show improvement....:D