Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Accord Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-accord-hybrid-27/)
-   -   Recals, anybody? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-accord-hybrid-27/recals-anybody-5003/)

daddywags 12-16-2005 04:54 PM

Recals, anybody?

I had an unnerving experience today while driving along ay 55 mph. I glanced down at the battery guage and saw 0 bars where there had just been 5 bars a second ago. It quickly recharged to 3 bars before I got to my destination which was about a mile from the recal. It helped that I coasted for 1/4 mile to a red light. After buying some kiwi's, $1 for 2 lbs., I headed home with everything back to normal. This is the first time I have had a recal in my HAH and I never saw a recal in my HCH. Just curious if anyone else has seen a recal in their HAH.

Rich

gonavy 12-16-2005 05:20 PM

Re: Recals, anybody?

Was it unusualy cold or hot?
We both have ~same mileage, and are in the upper ranges of anyone listed in the DB. Could be we've both just seen one...

I thought I caught one yesterday- 5 bars, regen came on in a very odd place of my drive, then dropped to 1 bar as regen was still on, then came back to 4 bars, all over about 45 seconds. The temp has dropped from 50s to 20s the past 10 days; I attributed the confusion to the cold causing a drop in battery capacity that the computer finally adjusted to. It was particularly raw yesterday.

daddywags 12-16-2005 05:35 PM

I had 11,115 mi. on the odometer when it happened. It was around 45 deg. since the fog hadn't burned off yet. Another weird thing happened three days ago when I was getting gas. I restarted the car when I finished and reset the mpg indicator by pushing the button as ususal. On my drive home I noticed the mpg indicator jumping wildly from the teens to the fortys. I reset it again, no help. The next day everything was fine and has been since. I just hope this isn't the precursor to something more serious.

kaymack 12-16-2005 10:02 PM

Recal?? Should this be added to the glossary??

gonavy 12-17-2005 05:24 AM

maybe.

HCH and Insight guys have been talking about them. Periodically the computer needs to "recalibrate" what the battery charge and condition are as time goes on and the battery capacity changes due to age, climate, etc. If it thinks there is XX charge left or YY space available to regen into but there is actually only ZZ, that could be a problem, Not catastrophic, just inefficient. So it checks back in every now and then to verify that reality and perception are the same.

nimbus2k 12-17-2005 09:20 AM

I think the owner's manual mentions that large sweeps in the number of bars in the HAH. I see it, but then I just figured it's because there's like 5 "bars" to show the charge in the Accord, and maybe 40 "bars" to show the charge in the Civic. Given the scale of things, I figured that's the way it all worked.

But definitely RTFM about the bars display - I don't recall chapter and verse but the manual definitely mentions this.

daddywags 11-27-2006 02:31 PM

I had my second recal today at 20,730 mi on my way to Trader Joe's. The temperature was 55 deg. and I was driving at 65 mph. Then something happened that scares me a little. On the way home from Trader Joe's, I had a third recal at 20,750 mi. I hope this isn't a forewarning of bad things to come. Has any HAH owner had two recals so close together?

VMA131Marine 11-27-2006 03:06 PM

Almost at 11k miles and no recal yet.

daddywags 12-04-2006 04:20 PM

I got two more recals today. Although I'm not sure if they qualify as recals since the battery gauge didn't drop to zero bars. One traveling 65 mph that dropped suddenly from 4 bars to two. The second recall occurred at a traffic light while auto-stopped. It went from five bars down to one bar and the engine started up. I got home and checked for error codes and there were none. I decided to lift the battery cable and reset the computer. I then went for a 40 mile drive and everything seems to be working more normally now. When I was getting the recals there were other weird things happening also and they've stopped for now. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for the next few days. Hopefully all is back to normal.

citywolf 12-04-2006 06:32 PM

This has happened to me several times as well, but mostly since I had my ECM update -- I have an 06 HAH. In fact, it has happened twice in the last week. I found it unnerving as well. Has anyone talked to the dealer about this?