Trip Computer Errors

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 12:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Trip Computer Errors

There is a note in the car manual about the MPG displays in the NAV computer and the trip counter not matching. The manual states this is normal because the NAV tracks the usage with GPS, where the trip computer does tire rotation. I haven't seen anything seriously amiss on my new Accord Hybrid.

Old 06-04-2005, 06:53 AM
sdhybrid

That is intersting..however I just bought my HAH and I did not know that the nav had a mode to tell you you MPG.. can some one tell me where to go in the NAV menus to ge that feature.

sdhybrid

Old 06-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Sdhybrid:

___Touch your Info button on the upper right of the LCD screen --> Trip Computer. The nice thing about the AH is its instantaneous has a 0 - 80 mpg display vs. the std. Accord’s 0 - 50 mpg. The negative is that its resolution is in 10 mpg increments instead of 5 like the std. Accord. Both could use a tweak (resolution to 2.5 or 5 mpg in the AH) and the std. with a higher 80 mpg maximum. The Instantaneous is kind of useless when it is pegged 90 + % of the time in my non-hybrid

___The only screenshot pic I have uploaded where you can see the Info button is here:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...y06-132005.jpg

___About the only other item I can add is that once you see where the FCD’s are, use them as it is truly a godsend in terms of real time feedback vs. the averaging displays.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 06-04-2005, 08:29 AM
sdhybrid

Thanks ..I'll will check it out very soon.

sdhybrid

Old 06-16-2005, 08:42 PM
Enthusiast

I'm interested in your post. However, I don't understand what E/T is. Can you help me?

Thanks,
Wes

Old 06-16-2005, 08:48 PM

Hi Weyus:

___E/T stands for is “Elapsed Time” in the TC (Trip Computer) display screen of a NAVI equipped Accord.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 06-17-2005, 08:42 AM

One thought on another source of error- someone mentioned tread wear, etc. Along that line: HAH tires are 16 inch 215/60 vs 16 inch 205/60 on the regular. That translates into ~1% difference in circumference...for the same # of revolutions, you will travel about 1% further than someone in a regular V6 Accord. So if Honda forgot to recalibrate the odo for the fatter tires (a big if- we're talking HONDA engineers here), one could expect the dash FE readout to be ~.3mpg lower than the navi readout, assuming you're working around 30mpg in general and you take GPS distance to be groundtruth. Doesn't account for it all, and it actually is contrary to the odo distance being shorter than GPS distance, but hey, I'm just tossing this into the arena here. Just another possible source of error.

Not knowing how frequently GPS updates its fix and what method it uses to determine distance between fixes, I can't add much to the discussion about why GPS distance seems higher than odo distance- but remember EACH fix can be off by ~10 meters (I think), adding up to 20meters for each distance calculation. Its very unlikely that situation would occur- a nearly constant error over short distances is more common (thus the birth of differential GPS to correct a slowly time-varying error that is constant over a local area)

Too many 'what ifs' and some may cancel others, leaving no single cause as the dominant reason for a smallish persistent offset. The only way to find out which distance is correct (or less wrong) is to find a known measured straight road, drive it, and compare. That's how you do it in a boat- calibrate on a measured mile.

Not having a navi in my HAH, this is all academic to me, for now.

Last edited by gonavy; 06-17-2005 at 08:51 AM.