2006 HCH vs. 2005 HCH vs. prius

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 HCH vs. 2005 HCH vs. prius

Originally Posted by Atomic Frog
Apparently the 2006 model of the Civic hybrid will address this, and be able to drive for a bit using only the electric motor (when running on electricity only, you obviously don't burn fuel). It sounds as if the 2006 model will be more comprable in terms of the drive train to the Prius than the current Civic incarnation.
The Civic Hybrid II will be able to drive using just the electric motor, but only at low speed and the engine will still be spinning, just no fuel burning and the battery providing the power to move the car and spin the engine. It still won't be able to move without firing up the ICE, but at least the A/C will still work during auto-stop.

Old 09-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Enthusiast

I test drove both the '05 HCH and the '05 Prius (what I originally wanted), ended up with the HCH for three reasons- the first being I know I would have taken my eyes off the road way too many times in the Prius and drove into something (I said it to the Toyota salesman and he thought I was crazy, but I know I would be distracted). Second, the HCH had better visibility out back, and driving 65 miles daily on the CA freeways (as the only sane driver, of course!) made that important- and finally- the dealer where I bought my Honda let me deal, I got an after market leather interior (nice!) added and still paid a little below MSRP. That was back in April, when everybody wanted a Prius, and I don't know if those deals are still possible (I got great financing, too) but I really enjoy the car. I average around 45 mpg, going from the East SF Bay to and across San Francisco each day- lots of hills, traffic, a bridge, a tunnel, about 1/3 city traffic and 2/3 freeway miles.
Oh- and I had heard the tax rebate would actually be better for Hybrids sold right after Jan. 1, 2006- check it out first.

Old 09-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Proudest Monkey

Originally Posted by Schwa
The Civic Hybrid II will be able to drive using just the electric motor, but only at low speed and the engine will still be spinning, just no fuel burning and the battery providing the power to move the car and spin the engine. It still won't be able to move without firing up the ICE, but at least the A/C will still work during auto-stop.
Thanks, Schwa, for clearing that up. I knew that they had redesigned the AC in the '06 Civic to operate at virtually all times now, which will make it even more appealing to our buds down south!

Old 09-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Enthusiast

I'm leaning towards the Civic since I need my car for a 24 mile commute of which most of it is highway. Really do not do a significant amount of city driving which the Prius would be more suited to.

One thing that worries me would would be the amount of space available on the family road trip. I got three kids of which one is a teenager. Could I get all three kids in back of a civic without having a mutiny on a ten hour trip? Keep in mind I'm trading in my gas guzzling mini-van which is functional on the road trips.

I know the Prius is bigger. Is it that much bigger than the an 06 civic to make a difference? Also trunk space could be an issue on the trip. Prius wins here. I don't really want to put anything on top.

Also a little disappointed the 06 Civic will not come in a manual. Is this for sure?

Old 09-08-2005, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by AZMerf
I am currently looking to trade in my 2005 Ford Escape for a 2006 Civic Hybrid. The Prius is nice and has lots of gadgets but the dealers here still think their @#@! doesn't stink so I won't even consider them. We currently have a 2005 HCH and not only love the car; we love the service and the dealer. With the new IMA in the 2006 Civic, I don't believe there are any technical differences (the 2006 will have the Navi and Bluetooth options available as well as the A/C staying on at stop lights).

The only advantage to the Prius is the rear seat folds down which give you a much larger available cargo area. It would be nice but I still like the HCH package more and am willing to sacrifice a few cubic feet of cargo area.
The engine in the 06 HCH has been updated with more power, better fuel econmy, and is lighter to boot.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by supermathis
I'm leaning towards the Civic since I need my car for a 24 mile commute of which most of it is highway. Really do not do a significant amount of city driving which the Prius would be more suited to.

One thing that worries me would would be the amount of space available on the family road trip. I got three kids of which one is a teenager. Could I get all three kids in back of a civic without having a mutiny on a ten hour trip? Keep in mind I'm trading in my gas guzzling mini-van which is functional on the road trips.

I know the Prius is bigger. Is it that much bigger than the an 06 civic to make a difference? Also trunk space could be an issue on the trip. Prius wins here. I don't really want to put anything on top.

Also a little disappointed the 06 Civic will not come in a manual. Is this for sure?
Well as the floor in the HCH is flat in the rear, you can fit 3 adults without any problems. As for a long journey, nothing beats an SUV. But since you are talking about 3 kids, one being a teenager, I think they will survive.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:00 PM

Here is a nice upclose shot of the 2006 Civic - notice the leather wrapped steering wheel? Cool !!!

Old 09-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Lars thats not the HCH! Come on now a six speed manual? Don't think so but would be cool!Kevin

Old 09-08-2005, 12:44 PM

I did not say it was an HCH - I said it was a 2006 Civic dash....The dash should be the same for the HCH....I would presume to guess, anyway....

Actually, those are the Pics from a UK story on the "Honda Civic IMA Saloon" which is the Euro version of the HCH !! Here's the link:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/preview...civic_ima.html

Go to the IMAGES link at the bottom of the page to get to this and a few other pics... Maybe THEY get the manual and we don't in the USA ????!?!?!?!??!

Last edited by lars-ss; 09-08-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:02 PM

Hi Lars-ss:

___When I saw the leather seats, I was thinking what the #$%^, is this an 06 HCH I haven’t read or heard anything about … No way, that is the Euro version If they would only let me own the 06 Civic with the upscale leather interior and propelled by the infamous 2.2 L iCDTi, I would be in heaven

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Quick Reply: 2006 HCH vs. 2005 HCH vs. prius

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands