Anyone driven both the HCH2 and the EX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone driven both the HCH2 and the EX?

Originally Posted by jonmatt4nr
I think that's a bit unfair. The EPA estimates are 30/40 and 49/51 for the 2006 EX w/auto and hybrid respectively. Assuming similar driving habits in both cars, you're not going to average 35 in the EX and 40 in the hybrid.
I would expect an average of 45-50 mpg for the hybrid with moderate driving habits.
Yes I also agree with you. I would be more happy to announce higher numbers and actually I am getting more mpg after break-in. According to a review on Edmunds, The EX Auto gets over 38mpg in their highway trip and the HCH gets only 42.5mpg on highway. However, depending on driving strategy, you can get above 45mgp easily average driving in both city and highway. I can say that because I got 46mpg on a 22mi trip this morning. The numbers in this website don't lie, 45mpg on average is perfectly real. I am sorry that the low number I mentioned earlier was just a plain speculation. I feel much better now with more than 45mpg. thanks!
Still, 35mpg vs 45mpg is a 25% improvement in fuel cost. Assuming I would pay $150 monthly on gas with the Hybrid vs $200 with EX auto. This is not a big deal, the real benefit of Hybrid is being SO GREEN!

Old 07-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by annguyen251
- " You should be careful when throwing out figures like $6K difference."
I agree with you on the MSRP pricing.
However, it's also true that there's $6K difference at many Honda dealers in my area. I am speaking for my individual case. This does not mean that everybody will get the same deal...

Without navigation:
MSRP $19,260 EX Auto (Plus 550 destination charge)
MSRP $22,150 Hybrid (plus $550 destination charge)

Dealer Pricing in my area:

$18,000 EX Auto (*A dozen availble in stock)
$24,000 Hybrid (*to get the only car in the lot)
$6000 difference
Why not consider going somewhere ELSE?
Search on this site. There are others in CA finding much better deals than that on the Hybrid. The demand is certainly a big issue in CA, but can be overcome. It just depends on how much you want to get a hybrid.
I flew an hour, rode in a courtesy van an hour, then drove the Hybrid back home (nearly 6 hours). I saved $1500 (minus $115 for flight) for about 8 hours of my time.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Enthusiast

==I saved $1500 (minus $115 for flight) for about 8 hours of my time.==
Good job! I didn't think about that when I made my decision. I was in a rush when I saw the only HCH at the dealer and liked it. I assumed that people usually pay $2K above sticker for the 2006 HCH so I didn't do my search. Could you please let me know what pricing you've got and where was that? thanks!

Old 07-21-2006, 09:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

We paid MSRP, but I doubt you'd want to fly to Brooklyn to pick one up.

Old 07-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have driven about a dozen of them doing dealer transfers. Both are nice cars. I like the CVT transmission and the quietness of the Hyb engine. The EX is noiser and faster, but when one gets a hybid, they should not expect a jack rabbit in a 4 cyl and should be driving to get good mileage. Now is you want power in a hybrid, the Accord is way to go. I have moved several of them and they are fast, not as smooth as Civic. Driven around 70 or less, the Accord will beat the sticker mpg of 37, i think it is. I had a new one getting around 40mpg on road.
As for the Civic, if you drive the EX on road normally over 70, you will get in low 30 range, not 35 or better. The Hybrids I have driven all seem to get 40-42 on road. I dont get a chance to check city driving with them. I know there will be those who claim greater mileage than I get, but I tell you thatis what I see. Now if you creep around with no air and coast, block traffic, maybe you get more, but I aint gonn ruin a good drive doing that to save a dollar or two. Last year I bought a 05 HCH CVT. Now have around 12k one it and it always gets around 39-42 a tank, about same as new HCH. I drive them all easy, but sometimes run 77 or so mph on road. If you keep them under 65 on road, you may get in mid 40s from what I can see. I am happy with what I get, pass a lot of gas stations!

Old 07-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you that's a great comparo!

Old 07-21-2006, 11:33 PM
Energy Independence

My purchase was in northern Oklahoma. $1500 under MSRP for HCH-II with Navi.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:57 AM
Aneil Mishra, Ph.D.

I test drove both the EX and the HCHII, and didn't notice enough of a power difference between the two to warrant buying the EX. Also, the price difference at the time I purchased my HCHII was rougly $2500, so to me it was worth it. (They had only one Hybrid on the lot, but I paid MSRP, plus I purchased an extended 80K/6 yr warranty.

I'm loving my HCHII and don't regret the purchase one bit!

Aneil

Old 07-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Ive driven both and bought a EX Sedan.

I really wanted a HCHII. But a CVT and no rear disc brakes killed that.

Ive driven a EX Coupe with a 5AT. My Sedan will with its 5MT Imbaress a AT something awful.

The EX Sedan and HCHII are close enough a like I would trade my EX if Honda offered a HCHII with a 5MT. My dealer is very fair in its pricing. Nothing like the west coast thug dealers. I paided 19,128 Out the door for my EX Sedan 5MT with Navi. I pay right at $416 above invoice even on a HCHII. Only car they sell at MSRP is the Si. I have no doubts my dealer would treat me the same way on a HCHII.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

What about the $2100 tax credit. That makes up most of the difference in pricing. I got $600 off of sticker w/Nav for $23,600 in Baltimore. I was very lucky to even find one though and had to buy it with credit card sight unseen. Every other dealer had a 6 week wait, with 5 or 6 people ahead of me.